hello all, New S-series owner, little problem.. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation hello all, New S-series owner, little problem..

Hey all, this is my first time posting here, as i just recieved my 22075 from ****** online, and i may have a problem, but not really sure..

The guitar plays great, sounds great, and i was happy with it, but something i noticed started to bother me really bad. Right where the neck meets the body ,"imagine looking at the guitar while you are playing in a sitting position", and right by the 17nd fret, underneath the neck on the body itself, i notice a little, almost looks like a crack in the wood, but i cant tell if its like that clear coat that is put on it that has that crack, or if its the actual wood that has the crack. If its the clearcoat, i dont really mind, but i dont want the actual body to have a crack in it.

I know this may not make sense, because its kinda hard to explain where it is. My question is, does anyone know if this guitar does have a clearcoat on that can possibly have a crack in the clearcoat, or do you think its the wood thats cracked. It kinda looks like if you took a razorblade, and made a small scratch with it, right where the neck meets the wood.

Its the best i can explain, and thanks in advance for any responses.

Edit: if it helps, i can actually feel it if i put my nail against it. My best guess is when they put the neck on, and tightened the bolts, it may have caused this coating to crack? just a guess...

Last edited by steviekool; 04-08-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Re: hello all, New S-series owner, little problem..

Ok, so i have been sitting here scoping the hell out of this, in every light, shadow, angle, and i think its basically a tiny hairline scratch in the clearcoat and because of the thickness of the clearcoat, its casting a shadow on the wood itself, making it seem 10x worse than it really is. I hope im right, and i think i am, gonna study this till my eyes pop out
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 05:58 PM

It is a pretty common problem for a guitar to develop a hairline crack in the neck pocket. It happens a lot with Ibanez guitars, take a look at Vai's "EVO" and you'll see that the entire body is almost cracked in half and steve still brings it around the world with him.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Well, after even further investigation, and using the best tool i can find, "a flashlight!", It is just a scratch in the finish. Being that the clearcoat is pretty thick, with a flashlight i was able to see that it was casting a shadow onto the wood, but you can clearly see that the line from the shadow, and the actual scratch is seperated, thank God

Still kinda sucks, you pay over a grand for a guitar, you kinda want it to be perfect, but still, im not gonna complain over a little scratch, funny part is that the scratch is so miniscule when you look at it closely, but because of that clearcoat, its magnifide on the wood.

Oh well, nothings perfect I guess, but it does play like butta!!

Edit: my fault, should have posted this in the prestige board, since the axe is one. I'll learn, just found this place

Last edited by steviekool; 04-08-2005 at 07:05 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 07:08 PM

I'm glad to hear it was just a finish crack, if you have a warranty you could probably exchange it for a new one if you wanted.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Phlame, I thought about it, but its a pain to ship it back to the seller, pay for shipping, and wait for it for another 3 weeks or so, for such a tiny error. Because its in the finish, and not the wood, I'll chalk it up to not a blemishe, but a bit of uniqueness
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 07:16 PM

Speaking of blemish, you might be able to get a kickback from the dealer for selling you a blem guitar.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Good idea!! Maybe I'll call them and start yelling and screaming, and they'll hook me up because, "the customer is always right". Just hope they dont want to see it first, because i REALLY dont want to ship it back
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 07:26 PM

If they want to see it first e-mail them a digital picture. If you don't have a camera borrow one from a friend or neighbor
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

I should buy you a beer for all the help . thanks again

Tags
clear coat , ibanez guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode