Hello to all! ....and a question - New RG520....Mmmmmmm! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Hello to all! ....and a question - New RG520....Mmmmmmm!

Hello everyone!

I've been reading this forum for a while and always wanted an excuse to write in. Now I have one. I made my impulse buy for the year yesterday! I walked into my local Guitar Center in New Jersey and saw a brand new RG520QS in transparent blue staring at me for $479 - clearance. Well, I ran home and scooped up my JS100 (which I liked very much) and traded on up! As I said, I liked the 100 fine, but I hated the tremolo, and I always felt that I'd spot an axe that would turn me into a puddle on the floor, and this RG was it! I LOVE the Edge tremolo, and the "Chrome Black" hardware which looks like titanium. The transparent blue finish is very pretty, but only in strong light -- just a tad too dark otherwise -- But the real kicker for me was the Mahogany body. This thing is sooooo heavy (which I love), and the sustain!! Also the fact that it's Japanese helped a lot. I like the P/U's as well. The bridge pickup (V8 I think) actually reminds me of the FRED because of the harmonics. I'm just really surprised that a guitar of this quality was under $500!

Oh, I'm gushing aren't I? Sorry. Anyway, here's my question:

I downloaded the Ibanez catalog from their site and checked out the p/u configuration page. I understand every position on the chart except the second from the neck (either pos. 2, or 4 depending on what you consider to be 1) The chart says "Humbucker is Parallel Connected". What does this mean? The other split position has one coil each from the inside of the p/u's. What did they do with this setting? Sorry for my ignorance, I've just never seen anything like that before. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, if I ever decide to upgrade p/u's, what would you guys put in?

Once again, 'hello to all', and thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 02:06 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Hello to all! ....and a question

welcome to the forum an congrats on the trade-up :biggrin:

i wish they made the 520 in a fixed bridge model ...glen
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 06:07 PM

Quote:
TenorKeith on 2:00 pm on Feb. 25, 2002
Hello everyone!

Also the fact that it's Japanese helped a lot.
Wow. *Had to read that one twice! *You don't hear that everyday. *Maybe you should give Ed Roman a call. *:laugh: *

Just kidding. *I know you meant Japanese as opposed to Korean-made. *

J

(Edited by Jason Stone at 6:08 pm on Feb. 25, 2002)
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Oops! Yeah, guess I could've made that more clear. Actually, my girlfriend's from Japan & the claws come out whenever I talk about things made in Korea

Maybe it's the weight of the mahogany body, but this feels so much more substantial than my basswood JS. *I'm still hoping someone knows what that "Humbucker is parallel connected" means, tho...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 11:36 PM

Hi dude,when a humbucker is wired parallel,it is still hum-cancelling but with slightly less power,for a cleaner sound(little more trebly too) By comparison,a humbucker that is wired in series,is for maximum power(better for all out assault!).I picked up a 520 just for the mahogony body.I'll put a tone zone in the bridge wired for all out assault! I also agree it's hard to really see the quilt(nice to know its there though).For a big hunk of mahogony,great trem,and fast neck its a bargain.Enjoy!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 07:17 AM

WELCOME, KEITH!
and enjoy your new Jappy!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 09:17 AM

Quote:
jemsite on 1:06 pm on Feb. 25, 2002
welcome to the forum an congrats on the trade-up :biggrin:

i wish they made the 520 in a fixed bridge model ...glen
They did. RG521, I've seen them on FleaBay every once and awhile.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 09:52 AM

Regarding pickups: I've got an Air Norton on the neck and a Steve's Special at the bridge on mine, and (in my opinion) they sound a lot warmer with my tone (really gainy shreddy tones) than the standard 'nez pickups that it came with.

My .2c...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 11:39 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Polaris20 on 9:17 am on Feb. 26, 2002

They did. RG521, I've seen them on FleaBay every once and awhile.
Hmmm... maybe a spot production or overseas model. The only info i can find online is from a dealer listing it with a "Wilkinson Trem". Will dig further ...glen
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 12:31 PM

I saw the pics of it, altough being on Ebay it could very well likely have been an overseas model brought over.

The problem is the pinhead wanted too much money for it, so I didn't bother with it. It looked nearly identical to the RG421 (which I have) except it had the Bubinga striped Wizard instead of the Wizard II.

The color code on it was BP, not a QS like the current 520's.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 01:56 PM

TenorKeith,
* * * * * * * * Welcome to Jemsite and congratulations on your new guitar. That's a sweet deal you got there! *
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for making me feel welcome. By the way, if anyone's interested there's a new RG520QS right now on Ebay for $450 "Buy It Now". Sounds like a good deal.

Now I'm off to the lumber yard to start my next project: building a Brian May "Red Special" from scratch. Hope it doesn't end up looking like Frankenstein!!!

Tags
air norton , bridge pickup , edge trem , fixed bridge , fixed bridge model , ibanez catalog , local guitar center , mahogany body , mahogony body , tone zone , wilkinson trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode