Hello,I'm a guitarplayer in China, I need your help.(550ex) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Hello,I'm a guitarplayer in China, I need your help.(550ex)

I'm a guitarplayer in Tianjin of China, very pleased to found this website^^

I bought a RG550ex few days ago. The introduction of this guitar in Ibanez's official website says this guitar use a "Lo-Pro Edge"bridge.
but the 2002'products introduction book of ibanez which I got in China mainland says that RG550ex use "Edge"bridge. and my RG550ex definitely use a Edge bridge.

I want to know if the RG550ex(made in japan 2002) sold in USA and other countries use the Edge bridge.

I also can't understand that why Ibanez change the bridge model.
Is Edge chiper than Lo-Pro Edge?

and.... please give me some reviews for this guitar.

Thank you^^

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

and........... sorry my English is poor.

^^
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 01:05 PM

Hold on there dude.

O.K, Ibanez introduced the RG550/570EX in 2000. Back then they all had Lo-Pro Edge in them. The production of these continued for the 2001 market as well. But some how or another for 2002, ibanez decided to replace the Lo-Pro edge trem with an edge trem. So that's how the story goes. Why they change 'em...i haven't got a clue...

The edge bridge system is as comparable to the Lo-Pro edge bridge. the main difference is that the Lo-Pro has a lower profile than the edge. Both of them are good...

The RG550/570EX are only availible to the european & asian market and it's not avalible to the US.

BTW, the US version of the RG550 has the edge bridge too but with a maple fretboard.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 01:07 PM

Well I have a "98 RG550LTD which is the predecessor (sp?) of the RG550EX. Mine has the Lo-Pro-Edge trem and I know that all the later RG550LTD and EX guitars that were sold in europe had that same trem. The RG550 however has an Edge trem (but it also sports a maple fretboard). I take it you bought yours from a licensed dealership? If not, the trem unit could have been swapped.

Greetz,
Jay
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

thanks

I'm a poor children in China........

The Ibanez's product introduction book printed in 2002 says RG550ex definetely has a Edge bridge.So I don't think the dealership which I bought my guitar from have change it. Other features:super wizard neck, rosewood fretboard, black finish,v7/s1/v8 pickups.

this RG550ex only cost 471 US$ in China.....
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 04:01 PM

Reviews: 1
Either way, there is NOTHING wrong with the edge trem.
It is rock solid and I have them on all but one of my Ibanezs guitars.
They are stable and reliable and easy enough to buy parts for that you won't have any problems. I have a RG520qs 2 RG550's and an RG565 and I love them all as far as playability and versitility. Depending on your style, just a pickup change will place you into the musical domain you wish to play ( provided you can play )

Great guitars, congrats, and weclome !

Bammbamm
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 09:34 PM

the current 2002 RG550 is indeed equipped with the Edge trem as oppossed to the lo-pro. people i've talked to alleged that the lo-pro are now exclusive to upper end models eg: Prestige offerings (there are some exceptions of course).

there is definitely nothing wrong with the edge trem, it's just that some of us prefer the lo-pro for its feel, which is arguably a subtle difference. my RG 560 is edge equipped, it's 11yrs old this coming November, it's still working...

glad to know a chinese player
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

thank u:)

thank you for your reply
play guitar in china is a nightmare,i think.....

I love my rg550ex very much.I want to change the v8 with dimarzio evolution .but it's too expensive....

Do the dimarzio evolution pickups on JEM much much much much better than the v8?

oh GOD...speaking English is a nightmare to me,too........

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 04:31 AM

Hello, ni hao ma?

the V8 humbucker is actually a respectable unit through a good amp. it sounds like the Seymour Duncan 'Full Shred' model at certain amp settings. my friend has this guitar, his cranked up Peavey Bandit does justice to the humbucker. of course, i chipped in by bringing it closer to the strings just by a wee bit.

the evoulution my friend, is a higher output humbucker with more sensitivity & harmonics. IMO, it's good regardless of which guitar it resides in.

alternatively, if you wish to acquire the evolution at no cost, just approach Nicholas Tse, taunt him enough to make him smash his JEM & you just grab the evolutions ok?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germX
alternatively, if you wish to acquire the evolution at no cost, just approach Nicholas Tse, taunt him enough to make him smash his JEM & you just grab the evolutions ok?
Thats if he doesnt kill himself smashing up his cars before you get the chacne to taunt him!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

thanks ge men

thank you for your advice
I am going to buy a marshall avt100 this year,maybe I can get a better Vai sound^^
the dimarzio evolution is too expensive to me..... and... who's Nicholas Tse? I know a Hongkong **** popstar Xie tingfeng want to broke his JS1000 on his live,but...

very glad to heard your chinese word and we call a good friend "ge men"in chinese. thank you, ge men!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 11:39 PM

yeah, nicholas tse is xie ting fung if you say his chinese name in mandarin. hes got too much bloody money to waste
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

hahahaha~~~~~~~~~~~`

it's ...
God......

please go to 51guitar.net
I always go there,and i translate some articals from here
write English is too hard to me
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 09:07 PM

Re: Hello,I'm a guitarplayer in China, I need your help.(550ex)

i heard from a friend he was invited to japan some big guitar event with vai and satriani and other guitar ppl and nicholas tse got really emabressed (cos of his bad guitar skill) anyone know anyhting about that or have picture/reports ?? i really wanna c
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 09:39 PM

Re: Hello,I'm a guitarplayer in China, I need your help.(550ex)

xie ting fong is quite a guitar player actually. Maybe not Vai but he's not bad at all.

Tags
amp settings , dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , dimarzio evolution pickups , edge bridge , edge trem , evolution pickups , ibanez trem , ibanez tremolo , maple fret , maple fretboard , marshall avt , peavey bandit , pro edge , pro edge bridge , pro edge trem , rosewood fretboard , seymour duncan , super wizard neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode