Help! *Sell my Strat for RG? - Any advice? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2001, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Help! *Sell my Strat for RG? - Any advice?

I have played a Strat for a long time, and have never had any major problems with it. *My current Strat has 3 Lace Sensors (Red, Silver, *and Blue) locking Schaller tuners, etc. so it would stay in tune better. *Lately, however, I have noticed my playing style has started to show the weaknesses of the guitar. *Namely, it goes out of tune often with any kind of whammy use (even with the locking tuners)and the pickups sound a bit thin. *I have an opportunity to move into a RG520QS, and would like opinions of other Ibanez owners (who I'm sure have played a Strat or two before..) to help me make a decision. *I like my guitar now, and would hate to get rid of it for a guitar that isn't as good as it is, but the RG seems to (maybe) be better suited to my playing style as I practice more. *I can't afford to have two guitars, so any helpful advice on this would be appreciated. *Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2001, 03:55 AM

Help! *Sell my Strat for RG?

As a former RG owner, I'd say stick with the strat. Swap the pickups to Fender Texas Specials or Fat '50s to beef up your tone. Or go Keneally with EMGs! Yes, and also get a 2tek bridge and refinish your strat green and...
What I'm trying to say is that IMVHO Strat's more versatile, RGs are mostly rock machines. I'd take a great Strat over an RG any day, although the shredder inside might argue...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2001, 04:03 AM

I disagree. I used to have a strat, but I sold it and got a RG620. I'll never regret it. Of course, the RGs are mostly rock machines, but I am able to get some very nice clean sounds out of my baby. I play in two diverse styles: Ambient and Heavy Metal. This guitar suits them perfectly.

Jallen, with the 520s mahogany body, you'll get more sustain. Plus, more versatility, even with the stock pickups. Ibanez Edge stays in tune. Mmm.. what else.. the Wizard neck.. you're going to love it! The only downside to the #20 series is that they are a bit heavy, because of the mahogany.

Hey! The 520s have awesome finishes too
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2001, 12:20 PM

Reviews: 5

As a ex-Strat and RG player, I must say that you will have to think carefully on your choice. The first things to consider is: Do you love your guitar and it suits you nicely? What style do you play? If you want a versatile guitar, the Strat is the way to go. If you're rock player, loves instrumental music like Vai or Satch, go to RGs 5xx.

The Strat you currently own seems to be a great guitar. My advice: if you're going to keep it, install a LSR Roller Nut and a better bridge (maybe a Wilkinson VS50 floating) -- I'm sure that it will stay in tune. For pickups, if you want to be versatile, install two humbuckers (bridge and neck), a Texas Special in the middle and a coil-tap switch. This is by far my most versatile guitar.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2001, 03:18 PM

I was once in this exact situation. *I traded my Strat for an RG-560. *I was in an 'Ibanez' phase of my life, where if a guitar didn't have an Edge or a Lo-Pro and a flat radius I wouldn't consider playing it. *The strat I traded was very sentimental to me, it was my first guitar and it's dearly missed now *

Just think it through first, remember you can pick up a used RG-550 for the price of the mods some have suggested you do to your strat (i.e. routing it out for humbuckers, new trem, new nut, new pickups, new pickguard.)

Good luck!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 09:43 PM

Reviews: 2

There is nothing like the sound of a good Strat.
I was contemplating buying a Blade vintage but after playing an RG it makes going to a Strat difficult. I have various guitars and the majority have the AANJ so it really makes an impact on me. If you like the TONE of the strat don't get the RG but if you favour a more rock tone and you like to whammy without going out of tune and a really comfortable neck and body then get the RG.

Basically I'd get the RG. Everyone else has strats so be different. But it's your call.

P
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 11:29 PM

Reviews: 5

it's going to be difficult for any of us to answer for you because we're all in a different place musically, financially or emotionally. *I have no attachment to your strat, I personally hate the way they play (thick necks kill me) and I don't like single coils. *This is partly why I've never bought myself I strat. *After playing a few of my guitar teachers, I decided they were not for me. *I'd say this is something you should definately consider for some time. *If you're not sure, wait. *There's always going to be RG's and JEMs and strats floating around. *I'll say this though, if you want speed, if you're planning on playing fast, there's no guitar I'd take over a RG or JEM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your advice! *Basically, I've decided to wait off a little, play a few more RG's and make sure that it is the direction I want to go. *I am playing more instrumental/rock guitar lately, but that has been done on a strat (Beck, etc.) so I don't want to be hasty. The advice I received on this forum has been great and gave me a lot to think about before deciding. *Thanks again!

jallen
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 11:10 AM

Ideally, I think, you'd want to have both... Buying a used RG550 is a great way to go, since it gives you all the advantages of the RG line at a very low $$$. *Whatever you decide, I wish you luck :thumbsup:

Tags
heavy metal , lace sensor , lace sensors , locking tuners , mahogany body , schaller tuners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode