HELP!! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

HELP!!

Hi guy's l have a problem with my rg770.

l've had the guitar from new and have put various pups in it over the years
a while back l decided to put the stock pups back in and did so successfully
with the single coil in the middle position.

l have since taken the single coil pick-up out but for some reason it has killed my 5-way and the neck pick-up!!

l can not seem to find a way to wire it so that the humbuckers are working.
What am l doing wrong?

l did not think removing the single coil pick-up would effect the other two enough to silence one of them.

Ibanez do not provide wiring diagrams for guitars pre-1994.

Anyone now how l can wire this thing?

PLEASE HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 11:20 AM

Re: HELP!!

Still sounds to me you have it wired wrong, before you removed the single coil, just removing the single coil should just knock out positions 2,3,4 on a 5way. Also check the main ground wires on the back of the pot for a cold soldier joint or that your did not detach one of the lead wires. Other suggestion is that you 5way was over heated and has a bad connection in it now.

If the 94 RG770G wiring diagram is not yours, I would suggest looking at the other older wiring diagrams, the only difference should be just lead wire of the 5way.

Maybe take a picture so others can see which pickups you have to explain better.

I just had to rewire a old SG this weekend for someone with no diagrams and a new 3way which was fun..
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks BLueAlien, the guitar is a 91 rg770dx and has 2 f2's. l think this guitar was supposed to be shipped with a f2 and a f4 - l got 2 f2's.

maybe your right about over heating the 5-way, its an Otax 16 connection monster! l have possibly overheated it by now.

l cant seem to find any cold solder wirings or loose connections anywhere.

l am a bit frustrated about what other model ibanez l could use the schematic of as there is not many that use this 5-way apart from 7 strings.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 12:04 PM

Which switch are you using the OTAX VLX-81? If you want to wire it up as two humbuckers, you can follow the wiring diagram for the RG3120.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 12:25 PM

Reading the 94 RG770G for the F1 & F2

If you have the vlx91 switch in there, thats a monster, and would better off getting a YM-50, but you should be able to use this JEM77 Diagram above which is wired the same as a F2 (Red, Black, White, Green & Drain)

Last edited by bluealien; 05-23-2007 at 12:34 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks BlueAlien, l have tried this exact schematic to no effect, l think you may be correct about my 5-way being overheated.

l think a 3-way is possibly the best solution.

l will however try the rg3120 diagram first, so thanks alot buddroyce!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 05:57 PM

Do you have a meter? I would suggest first testing the switch based on diagram.

#0 is the output to your pot, so you can Ohm Test the switch with the beep on to hear it, then move to next wiring setup. 2,3,4 are your middle pickups that also tie in with your humbuckers on 2 & 4 back of switch (OTAX).

Tags
wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

ibanez rg770g

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode