HELP!!! With 7 pickup. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

HELP!!! With 7 pickup.

Hey friends. I use two guitars for live. One old Rg 550 with v7 v8 mounted direct to wood with a piece of wood between body and pick, and one RG 7620 with its serie pickups.
The 6 strings one is tuned down to dropped A and the 7 strings one tuned down to A.

The thing is that the V8 pick sounds much better than the pick of the 7. Much solid and defined while the 7 sounds quite undefined and muddy.

I need a pick for the 7 that could give me the sound I find in the v8.

I am thinking in two low power picks. The Air Norton 7 which is rich in lows and mids, or the Paf 7 which is rich in lows and highs. I haven´t checked these ones but I need some advice about them.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Re: HELP!!! With 7 pickup.

Sorry, of course I am speaking about bridge position.

thx
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 03:52 PM

the v-8 doesn't have much bass responce, it has quite a bit of mid and treble , thats why it stay clear when dropped.

For a seven string pickup with simular qualities you may look at the evolution 7 . If it is built like the 6 string version it has tigher bass and makes thing clear and cut .
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

But Evo7 has lot of power and that could be a mess. I mean a pick with no control. The good thing of the v8 is that is very controllable. I had to change the volume pot and the capacitor to keep the original pick (still don´t know which is) of my RG7620 under "cotrol". It used to be very "wild".

So what do you tell me about this matter? And what can you tell me about those picks I metioned before??

Thx
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 12:37 PM

i am not sure why you'd say the pickup were uncontrolable, i use high ouput pickups and can control them well. You have to understand that your going to have to change your settings a little to accomadate a new pickup because no matter which one you get it will sound different . If it is uncontrollable you probably need to roll back the gain and settings.

What's your current setup ? and what music do you play

As for the paf and air norton 7 string versions, i have the 6 string air norton in the neck of one of my guitars and had a paf pro in the neck of another . The paf didn't provide the power i needed in the neck, i was relativly unimpressed with it, but 6 and 7 string guitars are different and your style and tastes are different then mine so It is hard to say if you'd like it . The air norton in the neck is bass and mid heavey on my 6 string, it is less output then the paf pro, but it seems to have more presence .

I would personall like to have more power in my pickups and roll back the setting on my amp then have a weaker pickup and have the gain and settings turned all the way up.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 01:40 PM

You know, if you like the sound of the V8 in your bridge, I'm SURE you could find a V8-7 for cheap out of a 7420 or something on these boards...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 02:06 PM

The Blaze is a good sounding pickup in the basswood 7620, but I agree with Drew. If you know what you like already, you could get a 7 string version cheaply, I think. Lots of peopl ehave swapped out their pickups, and have the old ones lying around.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Smile Re: HELP!!! With 7 pickup.

I understand. But I don't agree with the V8(7). It doesn't sound like the 6 string version. Nothing to do with that.

I use a Boss GX-700 with a Behringer EQ and a Marshall JCM900. I play Korn like music but I would like to sound a bit clearer. They use to sound too muddy from time to time. I don't know.

So maybe Evo could be better choice than Paf7.

You know, the **** about this is no to be able of checking picks before buying.

Helll

Thx
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 03:11 PM

thier return policy is , you have 30 days to try the pickup and if you dont like it you can trade in . From the dimarzio site

I installed one of your pickups and it's not really what I expected. I think I should have selected a different model. What can I do now?

If you are a U.S. resident and you are not satisfied with the performance of your DiMarzioŽ pickup for any reason, DiMarzioŽ, Inc. will exchange it within thirty days of original purchase for any other DiMarzioŽ pickup having an equal or lesser manufacturer's suggested retail price. If you want to exchange it for a higher priced pickup, you must include the difference in the listed retail price with your exchange. Here's how to do it: Call us at (718 ) 816-8112 any Monday through Friday between 12:00 Noon and 5:00 PM Eastern Time. We will give you a Return Authorization number and make certain you are happy with your replacement choice. The original pickup must be returned directly to DiMarzioŽ, Inc. Sales receipt or other Proof of Purchase must be included with the returned pickup. DiMarzio? will not accept any pickup which has been altered or damaged due to misuse or accident. This offer applies to U.S. residents only.

I have never been disapoint with a dimarzio pickup, some just got me more the sound i wanted with less work than others. With the exachang policy it makes it easy.

If you are going to buy a pickup get one from *s*a*m*a*s*h.com , find the same or lower price on a pickup you want then make them price match it, i have purchased several pickups from *s*a*m*a*s*h.com for 51.95 .
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

I am from spain. The return policy should be the same in europe. I will ask in the shop.

I think I will check the Evo7 first.
What do you think??
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 06:05 PM

i just bought a 7 string myself, i was looking at the specs and reviews , and the blaze is described as having clarity and power, it's mids are cut while the bass and treble are boosted, that means a nice clear clean sound.

i know the evo 6 string was nice and so by your describing the sound you want the evo sounds like it would work pertty good.

I am leaning on the blaze for myself if the guitar i get will even need its pickups changed.

that exchange policy should be the same for europe but i wouldn't know for sure as i have never been to europe.

You can e-mail dimarzio at to find out if the policy is the same.
[email protected]
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 07:27 PM

I'm actually tempted of putting Blazes in my RG7420 because i feal it hasn't got enough clarity

An EVO7 or Blaze7 would be a better option. Just remeber that a 7-string is very different to a 6 (even if you're using pretty much the same tunning).

My RG7420 is actually tunned to Drop A (AEADGBE!) and i'd prefer to get a Blaze/EVO put in the bridge.

I've even thought ot EMG707's but they require routing and i'd rather not bother with that!

Tags
air norton , bridge position , dimarzio pickup , paf pro , string guitars , string pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode