Help acheiving uber, turbo nutter distortion! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Help acheiving uber, turbo nutter distortion!

Hi everyone, just got my new BC Rich 7 string Warlock and im finding it hard to get a really over the top slipknot/panterra/in flames distortion sound out of it!
It has one of the best clean sounds ive ever heard, but thats not really wot im goin for. I just got this guitar, upgraded from a crappy squire affinity strat and this is my first guitar with humbukers in it.
I got a hotter more intense sound out of the squire than with this guitar, so i need some help in getting a really intense distortion sound out of it

Ive had many suggstions to get a tone zone 7 but i fear that it might be too wimpy for my needs. Lundgren, evo7 or SD Livewire might suit my needs or should i just buy an emg afterburner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
I think the Evolution7 sounds killer for death/thrash. (link is to a recording of an RG7620/Evo7 in bridge, 222KB mp3)
Im kinda going for a sound like this but even more hardcore!!!!!!!!!
btw guitar plays like a dream!! highly reccomend it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 02:42 PM

i dont think slipknot dudes use particular things on their guitars
their sound is raw, but nothing particular, with a little of tweaking, you can easily get it, unless you have a mahogany bodied guitar
stop thinking and get something, get the evolution yeah. its not too radical, not loose sounding, so it might float your boat
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 06:24 PM

Geez, never figured anyone would go after my recorded tone.. lol That's just the rectifier patch on a J-Station, BTW..

Do they even make a 7 string live wire? That might be cool.. The Evo7 is all high mids and presence, which gives it that nice pick attack sound.. It's my personal favorite 7 string pickup.

The Afterburner will give you more gain, but it's not going to change the overall tone of your guitar much.. Through high-gain that boost will turn into more gain/saturation, clean it will make the guitar louder..
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 12:36 AM

Whoa, hold on a second. You just called the Tone Zone wimpy. If I knew where you lived, you would have to be flogged for that. It's probably the best metal pickup (in my opinion) that I've ever heard. I need to get one. Actually, you may be surprised to hear this, but the Tone Zone is actually hotter than the Lundgren which you considered getting (really: the Model M, according to Meshuggah, is slightly lower output than the Blazes they previously used, which is slightly lower output than the Tone Zone, plus the TZ will sound a lot louder 'cause it's got a lot more mids).

So, here are my recommendations (if you care):
1. Do what I said in that other topic and get a pickup that has great tone (like a TZ or EVO) (you can worry about output later).

2.No matter what pickup you decide on, get the Afterburner. It's got the gain boost there if you need it (useful, but don't think it'll take you from mild to Mesh, though, because it won't-trust me), but the real attraction is that it converts the signal to low impedance, which will reduce the signal degredation caused by long/cheap cables and stompboxes. It also makes your guitar compatible with other EMG active EQ products, if that interests you.

3. If you're serious about getting the best quality distortion you can, you might look into the no load tone/volume pots, as they don't sap treble/harmonics/output like regular pots do. (You can find detailed information about these great products at www.guitarelectronics.com) You might at least look into higher grade capacitors.

4. Get a graphic EQ (or two). A graphic EQ both before and after distortion will yield you the best control over your sound.

5. And if you want really really REALLY heavy distortion (like mine, or... I guess Mesh, or someone ), you'll need a distortion pedal. Don't get a regular, cheap one though. Make sure you get a good custom or modded pedal with good electronics that don't sap tone. (Life really IS too short for bad tone, guys).

6. And finally, if you're going to be using that much gain, you really want a noise suppressor. The Rocktron HUSH has proven itself, and I hear the Boss NS-2 works well. Oh yeah, get decent cables, too.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM or e mail me with questions about the Lundgren or Afterburner or whatever.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Hey all, Thats some really great feedback! So ill guess im gonna go with some evos or a tone zone7, i really cant make up my mind between the two, i basically want the most baddass in your face distortion sound with great gut wrenching palm mutes and harmonics that sqeal like a pig
Another question, do these no load tone/volume pots make a big difference in the guitars sound, coz ive been getting some scratchy sounding notes when i roll on the tone pot
So what type of gear are u using to get your guitar sounding as heavy as possible? Anyone got any sound clips? I really like that toshiro guys guitar sound so should i just whack in evo7 in my guitar? Or get some proper electronics on my guitar coz i can upgrade them for not much
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 07:36 AM

Maybe your problem is too much distortion.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 07:49 AM

What kind of rig are you using?(amps? effects?)

I know my setting on the J-Station for recording are very different than what my amp is set at...

I've found, with the 7-string: a little less gain & lows, more mids, makes for a punchier, harder sound... That, and tuning down a half-step.

Actually, that clip was in drop A/half-step down.. Ah, the fun of an Ab riff..

If you've got a bright sounding amp, I'd go for the ToneZone7, for something darker(like a rectifier, or any bass-heavy rig) I'd go for the Evo7... That's just me though.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 08:18 AM

Personally some of the heaviest "turbo nutter" (lol that made me crease up ) distortion i've heard comes from less gain. I think the emphasis on the actual riff itself and the eq plays a larger part on how the tone/distortion will be percieved.

I've got blazes in my 7620 and i play through a mesa boogie nomad, now i use the 2nd channel, which although is supposed to sound more rock and not metal (channel 3 is the recto sound), it is the fatest widest dist/od you'll ever hear. And with the right eq settings my gain nob only ever has to be at 3 o'clock at the absolute most!. Now that is grinding pounding oodles of gain.

What amp, pedals are you using, i think that that will have a larger impact on how much of a turbo nutter you can actually aspire to be??

Track
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 08:48 AM

It wasn't a very successful album, but "Against" by Sepultura is a great example of an album with a very heavy and punchy guitar tone that's not too distorted.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Grindfiend
4. Get a graphic EQ (or two). A graphic EQ both before and after distortion will yield you the best control over your sound.
Aaah, if you want Dimebag tone, set all your amp's tone controls to 5, then put a graphic EQ in the effects loop, followed by a noise gate if you play lots of stops and starts. Set the EQ with a nice v-shaped tone curve with the pedal's volume boosted a notch or two. Thank me later.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Ok, my rig is very simple : BC Rich 7 - String Warlock straight into a Marshall MG30DFX
So as you can see I havent got much stuff to play with e.g effects loops and such. The Marshall is a great amp and its tone really kicks some other amps ass in the 1000 range - no joke really reccomend one!
One other problem with my new seven string is that the 7th string sounds godly but the rest kinda blur together and dont really sound defined - if u know what i mean, its almost as if u are only supposed to play chugga chugga type riffs on the low B coz the sound of the other strings doesnt cut it when the bridge pickups is enabled
So im really looking for a pickup or peice of gear that will make those strings leap out at yer and push the amp into a too hellish for satan distortion sound
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 09:43 AM

That sounds like a good recommendation to me. Also, you'll probably be happy with the EVO or the TZ. I haven't played a TZ, but I've played an EVO 6, and I can say it's a good pickup.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 10:51 PM

the best thing you cen to to heavify your tone is mix amp tones. Two good amps each with strengths in different areas (one that's got complex mids and smooth highs mixed with one that's got an open sounding slightly scooped mid tone and tight bass for example) will give you a huge sound thats thumping and deep as well as cutting articulate.

also the tone zone will ive you the tone you want, it has a nice chunky attack and cool harmonics to boot.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 09:20 PM

Quote:
What kind of rig are you using?(amps? effects?).
I can't believe no one asked that before you. The amp is a CRUCIAL part of a good rhythm distortion tone. check me if i'm wrong, but the mg350 doesn't have a 12" speaker, right? especially if you're using a 7-string with humbuckers, you need the extra lowe-end clarity a 12 will give you.

also, you went from singlecoils to higher-output humbuckers; the effective output levels of your guitar went WAY up, when ou switched from the Squier to the BC Rich. If the lower-gain setup sounded "heavier" to your ears, doesn't it stand to reason that cutting the gain will help?

Also, try boosting your mids a bit. Most people looking for "heavy" tones at first scoop out WAY too much of their midrange, and the resulting sound is thin, weak, and muddy.

-D
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 09:21 PM

Quote:
What kind of rig are you using?(amps? effects?).
I can't believe no one asked that before you. The amp is a CRUCIAL part of a good rhythm distortion tone. check me if i'm wrong, but the mg350 doesn't have a 12" speaker, right? especially if you're using a 7-string with humbuckers, you need the extra lowe-end clarity a 12 will give you.

also, you went from singlecoils to higher-output humbuckers; the effective output levels of your guitar went WAY up, when ou switched from the Squier to the BC Rich. If the lower-gain setup sounded "heavier" to your ears, doesn't it stand to reason that cutting the gain will help?

Also, try boosting your mids a bit. Most people looking for "heavy" tones at first scoop out WAY too much of their midrange, and the resulting sound is thin, weak, and muddy.

-D

Tags
air norton , amp tone , boogie nomad , bridge pickup , bridge pickups , distortion pedal , emg active , mesa boogie , mesa boogie nomad , noise suppressor , palm mute , rocktron hush , string pickup , tight bass , tone zone , volume pots

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode