Help! Edge Zero saddles making rattling noises - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Help! Edge Zero saddles making rattling noises

I currently own 2 guitars with Edge Zero trems, an RG3570Z and my new J Custom RG8570Z (NGD coming soon ).

The EZ on the 3570Z seems to be fine, haven't had any complaints with it yet, but the EZ on the 8570Z that I just got has a few saddles (low E, A and D mainly) that seem to have some play in them... They rock back and forth ever so slightly, making a faint but noticeable "click" sound. No big deal, right? Well, while I was playing I was wondering where a rattling sound was coming from with palm mute stuff, and have come to the conclusion that it's these saddles. I can hear these saddles that have play in them rattling / vibrating mainly with palm mute stuff, mostly when I'm hitting the low E/A/D strings pretty hard, and it's quite annoying. Even with high gain at bedroom volume I can hear it b/c it resonates with the strings. I've made sure that the saddle screws, trem arm screw and intonation tool are tight, so the noise isn't coming from them.

I don't experience this with my 3570Z unless I hit the low E string REALLY hard (the low E saddle on this EZ has some TINY play too, but the others seem solid. Thus, this EZ feels more robust overall).

Has anyone experienced this issue? How would I deal with this?
Should I try moving the saddles around, like swapping low E with high E?
Or is shimming the saddles going to be the only fix? If so, that's quite disappointing to have to do on a J Custom.
Could it be a neck alignment issue causing the strings to pull on the saddles uneveningly? Strings look pretty even across the fretboard to my eyes though.

Worst case scenario I guess I could swap the EZ with the one on my 3570Z if the finishes are the same. Are all EZ's the same finish, besides gold?

Side note: To pop off the tiny clips holding in the EZ fine tuners, can they easily be popped out without a tool? My last resort would be swapping EZ's with the 3570Z, but I want to keep the fine tuners from the JC's EZ b/c they don't have any corrosion (the other one has some).. They look much newer. I plan on selling the 3570Z to help fund this J Custom.

Sorry for the essay, but I'd love to sort these issues out.

Steve

Last edited by Steveche; 04-06-2016 at 02:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Re: Help! Edge Zero saddles making rattling noises

Another side note: The 8570Z came with it's older EZ as well, with a stripped fine tuner hole on the A string. But, if I push down the saddles all the way and press on them, I notice there is play in these ones as well. Is it a common problem with EZs? Also, if anyone knows of a possible way to fix the stripped fine tuner hole, that'd be helpful. It sucks b/c the EZ's fine tuners go directly into the base plate... And I can't find any base plates for sale. The fine tuners' threading seems to be slightly smaller than the threading in the base plate... Damn EZs and their weird construction. I used to work at a factory that might be able to fill the hole and re-machine it to the size of the fine tuner's threading. If anyone knows the EZ's fine tuner threading size that'd be helpful as well.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 03:00 PM
Vendor

Helicoil anything that needs to be.

You have the fine tuner, they'll look at it [or the hole] and know what size.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Helicoil anything that needs to be.

You have the fine tuner, they'll look at it [or the hole] and know what size.
Thanks Rich, I was hoping you'd reply. I'll look into that. I was playing around with it this afternoon, and noticed that the intonation tools fits nicely into the EZ fine tuner holes... more snug that the fine tuners, and it's not pushing through! What the heck is going on!? Are Edge/LoPro/EdgePro fine tuners 4mm in diameter? It seems like all the holes on the EZ are 4mm (intonation tool holes and even fine tuner holes), but the fine tuners themselves are just under 4mm. Are EZ fine tuners supposed to be 4mm as well? If so, was there a bad batch at some point? Because the ones I'm measuring in comparison to the intonation tool, are not 4mm. I'm assuming the intonation tool is 4mm diameter though. I could probably buy 6 intonation tools and use those as fine tuners lol... I tested other fine tuners so the fine tuner in question is not stripped. My dad had a look at the hole in the bridge and says it doesn't look stripped at all. Very weird situation.

Aside from the back-up EZ, what's your take on the "rattling" issue with the saddles on my JC's EZ? Have you come across this before? This is my main concern, as the EZ with "stripped" hole is a back-up.

Last edited by Steveche; 04-06-2016 at 06:08 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 07:13 PM
Vendor

All saddles have some play. Buzz usually is when one vibrates in resonance and is hitting the tail of the saddle next to it. Try to realign them so they don't, some stick thin picks between them to even the spacing.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 07:18 PM

What year is the J Custom. I had one back in 2008 or 2009 that had this issue. I ended up swapping the saddle with another one that I had and the problem was gone. Strange. My newest ones have not had this issue.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
All saddles have some play. Buzz usually is when one vibrates in resonance and is hitting the tail of the saddle next to it. Try to realign them so they don't, some stick thin picks between them to even the spacing.
Yeah definitely vibrating in resonance. Of the 2 parts of each EZ saddle, I believe the upper part on one side of the saddle is hitting the bottom/base part of the saddle b/c it's probably not sitting flush, if that makes sense. I think it's sitting crooked to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGas View Post
What year is the J Custom. I had one back in 2008 or 2009 that had this issue. I ended up swapping the saddle with another one that I had and the problem was gone. Strange. My newest ones have not had this issue.
It's a 2009 model. Did you swap it with another saddle on the same trem, or from a spare lying around (or from Rich)? The 3570Z is ALSO a 2009 model and like I said, doesn't rattle. It is indeed very strange..
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 07:32 PM

I swapped mine out from another J Custom I had that I was selling. After I did that, no issue. Rich's solution works perfectly as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode