Help with hardware! - How to prevent gold from coming off? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2001, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Help with hardware! - How to prevent gold from coming off?

I believe this is a common problem. The gold is starting to come off a bit on my new RG620. Right where I palm mute with my right hand, on th 4,5 and 6th strings. It's only noticeable from a distance like 3 cm, but I am really concerned. Is there any way to prevent the gold from coming off? Or will I be stuck with my "chrome" hardware for life?

(Edited by Turrokk at 7:40 pm on May 3, 2001)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2001, 12:06 PM

Help with hardware!

Try using some clear coat or clear nail polish and a small paint brush and carefully apply it to the worn area.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2001, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Help with hardware!

Thanks, but are you sure about this? And what about the rest of the tremolo? Should I cover it as well to prevent it?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2001, 12:35 PM

Help with hardware!

It would only be a temporary fix and I would not use it on any other part of the trem unless there is ware there too.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2001, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Help with hardware!

Oh I see. So does every gold hardware come off? I mean I payed 900 bucks for my guitar. One would expect a quality product for that price!! :angryfire:
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2001, 05:36 PM

Reviews: 5
Help with hardware!

Most guitars doesn't have a good Gold finish in their hardware. I have one, custom built for me that has gold hardware and after 3 years, it looks terrible. The only guitar I've seen that has an excellent gold finish that appears to be intact after 4 years of intense playing is my friend's 7VWH.

I think the only way to prevent this problem is to clean the gold parts just after you've finished playing, because sweat surely helps accelerating it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2001, 08:13 PM

Help with hardware!

In australia there is a product called Incralac which is a spray can with a lacquer for brass and copper protection... *I have used this on *many a guitar and the gold does not wear off... *You simply pull all, I mean all your gold or even cosmo parts of your guit and clean them well, spray a couple of coats on all parts and then reassemble.. This does not affect them in any way.... *Trust me this stuff really works... *I have a guit with gold hardware that I use extensivley and all the hardware still looks new....

Guess what else it stops? * Yes thats right the horrible bubbles you get on the palm side of your floyd.

Use it on everything metal... * *it is very thin and you cannot tell it is there.....

But never forget that once you have finished using you guit wipe it down... I had a 1998 S540QM come in for repair and the floyd looked like it was 20 years old, sweat really kills a guitar.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2001, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Help with hardware!

Thanks guys. Too bad Russia is way too far from Australia ... I'll do some research on this.. maybe there are some other ways.

Tags
clear coat , palm mute

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode