Help on a Ibanez/Variax project ! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Help on a Ibanez/Variax project !

Hi to all.

I've been wanting a Ibanez Variax for long time, since read about first Variax transplant by Jeff miller.

Bought one used Variax 300 last month.
Now, I want some help.

What might be the best option for "donate" a body and neck ?

Found 2 cheap ones to use:

RG320FM and RG321MH

Already got others expensive guitars here (Music Man Steve Morse, Axis, Jem7DBK, LP Standard, Tele '52) but I don't want to "destroy" them. So those up there are the cheap options that can be modded.

I'll use a Foyd Rose Graphtech LB63 piezo bridge.

Retrofit tremolo and electronics isn't a problem (even on RG321 that' fixed bridge), will be using professional service that did this in some guitars.

My question is: which one got better neck or better body tone ?

Will be upgrading p/u's too.

Really apreciate your help.

Thanks, Luiz Gustavo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Re: Help on a Ibanez/Variax project !

Any help from owners of these models ?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 06:05 PM

wow! i am planning to do the same exact thing with a variax 300 and rg321.

the best one to use is the rg321 due to the non locking nut and stoptail. the problem comes with the electronics of the variax. they are mounted in a triangle shaped enclosure and will need to be pulled from that housing/modified to fit. the reason is due to the 22 fret neck on the variax vs. the 24 fret neck on the rg. no biggee, but i got a custom pickguard from jeannie's that only had a single switch route, nothing else. in order to get the electronics to fit in an rg, lots of routing will need to take place. my advice is to get an rg550 pickguard, trace the outline and the holes and that will show you how much wood you can remove. also, an issue will be the battery box. my plan is since i have to route the top, i will just use the back control cover to affix the batteries to. keep in mind that the original variax uses 4 AA batteries. to get the same amperage, you will need 2 9v's in parallel. also, additional routing will have to be done to accommodate the larger output jacks.

rich
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Rich. Already knew that. The guy that will route it to me it's a pro in this thing. He will route it only on the back side. No pickguard will be used. And i'll use magentics p/u's too, to choose when a heavy sound will be needed.

He told me that he can route and use an floyd style guitar, but I need to buy this bridge.
It got individual connectors for each saddle.

http://www.graphtech.com/fckeditor/u...63specs(1).pdf

Look at their work here. These ones are Variax routed just on the back. But aren't cheap, so I'm planning to transplant to a home like Ibanez neck + body.

Last edited by LGMT; 04-22-2010 at 07:31 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 10:44 PM

i saw axes like that, too, but the cost would be astronomical. the "best" ibanez to do a variax gut job to would be the RG620X. it already has the piezo edge with the LR Baggs elements. easy swap with the LR Baggs in the variax. keep in mind that the double edge piezos are all soldered together and the variax is all separate. it already is setup with a big route in the back as well as a battery route. this may minimize the work need by your tech.

rich
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

I know them, they are my first choice, but an RG620X is very difficult, almost impossible to find here in Brazil. So I need to pay for all the work in a cheap model. The top line japanese are expensive here too.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 04:11 PM

well, then it would come down to if you want to buy a new trem or not. i personally would love an ibanez variax with an edge trem, but i just wanted to see the project come to life. after it is all said and done, i may do something similar to what you are doing, too.

rich
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

An Edge with piezo is just possible with original double Edge or a Shotgunn mod.

But I'm sure that Graphtech piezo composite are better than LR Baggs.

Tags
variax transplant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode