Help identify my Ibanez - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Help identify my Ibanez

Hi,

I bought this guitar brand new in around about 1996. It's an RG series 1994 model Japanese Ibanez, but I'll be buggered if I can remember what the model number is. I know I paid over $1,400 for it (Australian) and it was quite an expensive guitar at the time (comparatively speaking I guess).

The serial number is F436319. It still has the three original pick ups in it (V8 Bridge, V7 Neck and S1 middle). It has two 'gold' plated pots and a 5 way switch.

The photos attached show a picture of the body and the rear of the headstock:

Any clues at all would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Stuart.

PS. Excuse the dust and finger prints on it. It hasn't been played in a few weeks and hangs on my wall rack Its about to be pulled to bits to be cleaned, restrung and the intonation corrected anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1015744 (Medium) (Small).JPG (45.2 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg P1015748 (Medium) (Small).JPG (25.4 KB, 152 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 11:10 AM

Re: Help identify my Ibanez

Looks like a RG570CT, color TB (Transparent Blue). Some unusual woods on there for an Ibanez RG: Alder body with Maple top and Bolivian (?) Rosewood fingerboard. Since it's made in 1994, it probably has a Wizard neck, in 1996 it got a Wizard II.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Awesome! Thanks Brambram! I checked out ibanezregister.com with that model number, and that's definately what it is: http://www.ibanezregister.com/Galler...al-rg570ct.htm

Any ideas on what it would be roughly worth now?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 08:16 AM

Yes, that is a 570CT. However, Mr. Bram is a little off on the specs. It has an alder body with a fake maple top, like a photo flame. The neck is a Wizard II with a Pau Ferro fretboard, which is similar to rosewood and found in Brazil and Bolivia.

I have a 94 in amber and a 95 that was used as the basis of a project that's not quite complete yet. The photo flame is MUCH more realistic on the amber one than on the blue. The blue one looks very fake.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 10:49 AM

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doink View Post
Yes, that is a 570CT. However, Mr. Bram is a little off on the specs. It has an alder body with a fake maple top, like a photo flame. The neck is a Wizard II with a Pau Ferro fretboard, which is similar to rosewood and found in Brazil and Bolivia.

I have a 94 in amber and a 95 that was used as the basis of a project that's not quite complete yet. The photo flame is MUCH more realistic on the amber one than on the blue. The blue one looks very fake.
Actually, it's a regular Wizard neck. Ibanez wrote Wizard II in the catalogs in a bunch of places that was wrong. I have 3 of these, 2 trans blue and one trans amber. And yes, it's photo flame.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 06:55 PM

when its in bits if you take the neck off it should have the model number stamped in the pocket just to make sure
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 02:36 AM

I'm quite certain that both of mine are Wizard II's. They are definitely more chunky than my 565 and 760 necks. Not that that's a bad thing, as I am equally as comfortable on either neck style.

Flames are definitely photo, as my former blue one sanded right off, and looked quite fake both blue and after I had sanded the blue off.

I believe mine are badged as RG 670 in the neck pockets. I don't feel like tearing them apart right now to check though.

I could very well be wrong on the fretboard wood. I do remember seeing something that said Pau Ferro. And the grain of them is slightly different than rosewood.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Just to confirm, they are indeed Pau ferro boards on these
jono is online  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doink View Post
So in which way am I 'off' on the specs?

Tags
identify , rg series , s1 pickup , v7 pickup , v8 pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode