Help to identify please - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Help to identify please

Hi all. I hope that someone can help me gather some information about a guitar I have recently been given.

A friend told me some time ago that he had an “old guitar” up in his loft and that he would let me take a look and if I liked it, I could have it.

Well…

It turned out to be an Ibanez!! (of course!) Being a Fender player, I know very little about Ibanez instruments. I am hoping that someone can shed a little light on the matter.

What I know…

Its an Ibanez blazer series guitar, I don't know how old it is, but it is made in Japan

It has a fixed bridge with pick guard, with 3, single coil, hum bucker (I think, as with fender set up but with no pick up poles visible) configuration.

The serial number is on the classic style neck joint metal plate and it is H801202

The neck has 22 frets and the truss rod sticks out at the headstock end so that it is visible and adjustable without having to remove any covers. The neck appears to be made from mahogany and the truss rod is covered down the neck by a strip of bubinga/similarly coloured material

The machine heads/tuning pegs have nothing written on them but seem to be of high quality.

The headstock has the Ibanez logo in metallic gold and blazer series is written in black to the right of it.

I think that that is every detail about the guitar, except that it has a varnished, dark wood grain body.

If anyone can help at all I would be really grateful.

Thanx

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 05:41 AM

Re: Help to identify please

Any chance for pics? I know you gave a very detailed description, but sometimes pics help even more.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Dee

I have it down as a September 1980 made Ibanez BL-70MH or 350TV.

Check this pic and tell us if it looks like one of these: http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1981/p10.jpg

Last edited by Dee; 10-13-2007 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Added pic link.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Smile Re: Help to identify please

Thanx Dee.

It looks most like the BL-70MH except The "Ibanez" logo is in gold, and with out the "slash either side and that it has 22 frets. I will post a few piccies to see if that helps.

ta

Paul
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 07:12 AM

seems like these were pretty darn good quality..reading the description, i bet if these were released today they would be over 1000 us dollars...and it says theyre affordable in the description. wish i had me one of those.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 11:36 AM
Dee

Pick up a used Blazer quite easily and pretty cheap on the 'Bay, Chritar.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle View Post
Thanx Dee.

It looks most like the BL-70MH except The "Ibanez" logo is in gold, and with out the "slash either side and that it has 22 frets. I will post a few piccies to see if that helps.

ta

Paul
OK Paul, I'll look forward to pics.

My other thought, as you mentioned it's 22-fret and has a different logo, is that it could be a BL-200, like this...

http://www.ibanezregister.com/Gallery/blazer/bl200.htm

... which is also a 1980 model, like yours.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 01:13 PM

Blazers are very nice and well constructed. I've been a fan of those for years, and used to have a Blazer neck on my main guitar for a long time. They can be had for next to nothing on ****, which is ridiculous considering how much older Japanese Strats go for these days. For example, and not to thread jack, I picked this one up on the bay a couple months back for about $135 including shipping.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Kahler%20Trem/

The body is about 9/10, very few flaws nothing through the paint. It's got a Kahler trem (the good one, not the cheap-o Flyer), Duncan Invader in the bridge and Gibson PAF in the neck - those parts alone are worth twice what I paid, I think. Also came in one of the coolest Ibanez cases I've ever seen - dark brown leather looking tolex over plywood rectangular case. It came with the original gold tuners that I swapped out for chrome locking Gotohs so I could take the behind he nut lock out.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 01:17 PM
Dee

There's a good one on the UK Bay right now for about £200. Nice condition 1982 model.

The item number, for anyone who might be interested: 130160358059
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
There's a good one on the UK Bay right now for about £200. Nice condition 1982 model.

The item number, for anyone who might be interested: 130160358059
That's in nice shape, very nice looking. The only thing I don't like about those, and a lot of the older Roadstars, is the straight out jack in the pickguard - that's just stupid to me. Since the guard on mine is so screwed up, I was thinking about first cutting a hole in it big enough to put a strat jack cup, and if that doesn't work, then route the side of the body to put in a more normal side jack. I've done that a few times before on Roadstars. But, since I'm going to likely be getting a new guard, might as well see how the strat thing works first.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 01:30 PM
Dee

I agree, the jack sticking out the front is not pretty.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
OK Paul, I'll look forward to pics.

My other thought, as you mentioned it's 22-fret and has a different logo, is that it could be a BL-200, like this...

http://www.ibanezregister.com/Gallery/blazer/bl200.htm

... which is also a 1980 model, like yours.
Hey Dee. Sorry not replied for a while, was waiting for new PC to arrive The pics u posted are exactly right, looks like thats the baby I will still post some piccies as i am just so pleased to own an Ibanez LOL Thanx again for your help.

Paul
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Dee

Great stuff, Paul.

Glad to have helped.

Tags
duncan invader , fixed bridge , kahler trem , neck joint , truss rod , tuning pegs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode