Help! Importing a J.Custom. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Help! Importing a J.Custom.

OK - I'm ready to pull the trigger and order a J.Custom from Ishibashi. I was hoping someone on this board could let me know how the additional "US Customs" fees are collected.

I understand that the cost will be apx. 10%-15% of the purchase price - but how/who do you pay that money to when the guitar arrives?

Do you pay the shipper when the item is delivered, or does the US Customs service send a bill?

Any help that anyone on the board can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Rob (RacerR)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 03:11 PM

Hi. I had a guitar imported once through DHL (shipping company). They sent a bill for 10% of the declared value for customs. I had 30 days to pay it. Hope that helps.

btw, which guitar are you buying?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply kent k ,

- So are you saying that DHL delivered the guitar and then sent you a bill for the customs fees - or did they send you a bill to be paid prior to delivery fo the guitar?

As for the guitar I'm getting... I haven't decided yet. If I buy from Ishibashi - I'll probably get an RG8520 in the Natural Finish - or an RG8670 - depending on the available colors (I already have a few red and few blue guitars). I'm also still thinking about getting one of the J.Customs that Rich has on his site. I'm not entirely sure yet, that's why I'm trying to figure out the details surrounding importing one.

Thanks again for the reply

-Rob (RacerR)
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 03:47 PM

I got the guitar and a day or two later, I got a bill for the taxes. I send a check to DHL and they paid customs. It was pretty easy.

I don't see how you can go wrong with the guitars you're looking at, they'd all be great. I just bought a JC from Rich (RG7-1), and I love it. Good luck!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Very cool - thanks for the info Kent k

I'll be making my decision very soon and ordering either from Ishibashi or Rich - I'll post photos on the forum when I get it.

Thanks again....

-Rob
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 12:27 AM

does Rich import new Jcustoms or just sell used ones?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 01:04 AM

I believe that as an authorized dealer, Rich isn't allowed to import 'em, but he does re-sell them, yes.

Racer R: Ferrous Lepidioeutyrrue just received an 8670 from itchyrashy about a month ago and i'm sure he could tell you EXACTLY what to expect. Shoot him a PM.

I have an 8670 as well and i assure you, it sounds great, plays great and looks great. What more could you possibly want from a guitar?

~K
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 02:09 AM

Yeah, I already filled him in on what I could.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 12:32 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe
I believe that as an authorized dealer, Rich isn't allowed to import 'em, but he does re-sell them, yes.
Except, I'm not an authorized dealer

I can't get anything new there cheaper than anybody else, there's no point in personally importing anything new.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode