Help with Kramer Project - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Help with Kramer Project

I managed to buy a kramer focus 4000 dirt cheap from a guy strapped for cash. Only problem is it's the ugliest guitar I've just about seen. I have no idea what I'm gonna do with it (should i restore it to it's original or should I customize it) I can paint any design on it either the sky is the limit. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Help with Kramer Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbohm View Post

I managed to buy a kramer focus 4000 dirt cheap from a guy strapped for cash. Only problem is it's the ugliest guitar I've just about seen. I have no idea what I'm gonna do with it (should i restore it to it's original or should I customize it) I can paint any design on it either the sky is the limit. What do you guys think?
What do YOU think? It's your guitar, you have to play it, and you have to look at it. Now, if it was mine--I'd refinish it into something really cool. Those Vanguards are decent guitars, so you won't be wasting your time. I think you should go all 80s on that monster--get it back into it's original vibe. Don't go with the original red, though--too common. Paint that sucker neon purple, neon yellow, or something you don't see very often--neon blue.

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

I kind of wanna refinish it and then sell it. I've always wanted to own a jem and ima need all the help i can get lol.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
I kind of wanna refinish it and then sell it. I've always wanted to own a jem and ima need all the help i can get lol.
Well, you're going to need to find about 10 more of those to sell to be in the ballpark of even a lower-end Jem...

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Yea I know lol i'm tryin to save up...you pay for what u get haha...I just got no idea on the paint Im not the biggest fan of "V" guitars...maybe themed?
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 10:56 PM

Reviews: 1

AirStream Theme? Retro style it maybe. I'd rock that guitar, sweet.

Chrome Pick ups?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Airstream? I'm not sure what pickups to go with I need something cheap? I could just put a new top on the ones I got now.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
If that's your plan, unless you know how to do kick arse paint jobs, I'd part it out, especially if that Floyd is in decent shape. Since its been stripped, maybe better pickups were put in it by a previous owner - who knows. You'd probably get about100 to 125 for a decent Floyd, then would probably get another hundred or more out of the body and neck, then something for the tuners, pickups, etc. I don't know what you've got into it, but tack on the cost to get it professionally painted ( bad refins really devalue guitars), and figure at best you're selling it for $400, and that's a huge stretch - I bought my all original 85 Pacer for less than that, so a Focus, even with a good refin, probably wouldn't get much more.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble, I'm just saying that if you're looking to flip it, that may be the most bang for your buck.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

I bought it for 100 bucks even (mostly for the original floyd rose). I've gotten pretty good at refinishing guitars but the body is worthless unless it's patched up and painted. The neck is amazing except for some fret wear. The pickups are sub-par and the guy didn't even use solder to make connections just electrical tape and open wires so that crap had to come out (even tape for the ground lol) The floyd rose is in better condition then most other 80's guitars. One problem is he used deck screws and random screws he probly just found to put some of the parts on. Ima prbly do a ridiculous paint job on it then put some new pots in and that's prbly it. I'm thinking like a silver back black sillouhettes on top with a candy blue over that. alaskabat just made me reallize u never see alot of blue guitars anymore.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 12:25 AM

Reviews: 1

Yeah google airstream and you will see funny shaped trailers. ect. lots of silver and or chrome ect.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

LOL...Ima definitely go with a themed paint with candy blue over top. Im going to try and keep it stock aside from the paint. Any ideas on themes?
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 03:33 PM

Reviews: 3

very nice. im hoping to find a ibanez rg550 or a charvel in rough shape, fix it up, and paint it starlight blue. like this one.
http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG350M
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

It's a solid color that looks fantastic with chrome. Were u planning on doing a candy over a sparkle or to go straight color?
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 12:29 PM

Reviews: 3

i think straight colour

Tags
flying , focus , kramer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode