Help me block my Ibanez Edge bridge - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Help me block my Ibanez Edge bridge

I have an RG652AHM with an Ibanez Edge bridge tuned to E with 10-46 strings. I have the bridge parallel with the body like it should be and I've tried blocking it with a bunch of different things, and I want to block it on both sides so it acts like a hardtail and I am able to do things like tune to drop D without all the other strings being affected by the tuning, and also restring faster.

I've tried blocking both sides with different things like picks, popsicle sticks, coins, etc. I don't have wood that I'm able to cut down at the moment, but with those methods I seem to get the bridge to stay still and it is still parallel on the top (I think it should stay parallel when I block it right?), but when I try to tune to drop D, the other strings are thrown off when I tune down the low E, which means that the bridge is still somehow moving slightly. How can I block it the most effective way, besides using a tremol-no? It's also incredibly difficult to put the springs back on when I remove them even with the strings loosened for some reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 01:53 PM

Re: Help me block my Ibanez Edge bridge

Yea I have had this issue as well. It's hard to get something to fit totally exactly in the cavity on both sides. You're best off with something that is as hard as possible and that fills as much of the cavity as possible.

Then just back off the springs so the string tension is pulling the trem onto the object blocking it. Then you can try to fit something in the other side if you really want, however it's never going to be perfect. Definitely adhere the block that sits between the trem and the lower bout end of the cavity or it can fall out if you rest your hand to heavily on the trem.

As an aside, I use a tremol-no and find that it is unpractical, rattles, and is in general not very useful. I've wedged mine at an angle and locked it down so that it can't be used. It did add a fair amount of sustain and volume to the guitar acoustically though. I still can't drop-d without the tuning altering just slightly too much for my tastes.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Wouldn't adjusting those screws make the bridge not parallel anymore though? When I go to drop D and the bridge is parallel with whatever block I have in, the intonation on the low E is also sharp.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:59 AM

I have used wood shims with good success, the small wedge shaped ones you get at the hardware store for installing windows/doors/etc., cut down to whatever sizes you need and installed on the side behind the bridge. Once leveled you can release the spring tension and let the strings keep the shims in place. You may have to tweak the intonation, if needed. Keep in mind that when you drop your low E to a D even solid bridge guitars need the rest of the strings slightly retuned due to the change of tension on the neck.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:29 PM

I haven't used this but it looks like it would work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-Edge...oAAOxyDgRQ-DW6
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:31 PM

FU Tone tremstopper....period. You'd still be able to dive bomb, but only at your command. Otherwise, stable as can be.

Tags
block , bridge , ibanez edge , rg prestige , tremolo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode