Help me choose EBMM JP6 or Ibanez SV5470 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Help me choose EBMM JP6 or Ibanez SV5470

Basically I will be using this guitar to do a lot of lead work, mostly stuff like Alexi Laiho, Gilbert, Vai etc.

I chose these two guitars for the following reasons:

Good access to upper frets
Flat, thin neck and fretboard
Simpler or easy to deal with trems, without a locking nut.
Unpainted\dry necks

Now here are my major concerns: One of my guitars is a Basswood body RG350, yes it's a cheap guitar and it sounds like s*** compared to my mahogany RGA. Does the JP6 suffer from this?

I hate middle pups, they get in the way, especially when inside picking, if anyone who has an SV can tell if the mid pup is recessed at all, does it get in the way?

I got a chance to play the JP6, it was only for a short time but liked it (need to go back there and try it again), my local store does not stock SV's so I will have to order one.

Any thought on what you like\dislike on these guitars are greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 07:33 PM

Re: Help me choose EBMM JP6 or Ibanez SV5470

I never have a middle pickup get in the way?!
I would say if you can, try and play both before you buy. However if it is impossible then I might go with the Jp6 since it has piezo, 24(not 25) frets and comes with some sweet colors.
The SV5470 is a sweet guitar though, and it is more affordable so it really hard to say. As for the basswood it is probably just the quality of the basswood on the rg350, my friend's basswood on his rg350 feels and sounds like plywood.

oh and pickups for the rg350 for sure, for the SV I would probably get real dimarzio's even though I don't know how the stock ones sound like, the JP6 have real dimarzios

Last edited by newbieguitarmaker; 09-23-2008 at 11:12 PM.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 11:06 PM

well stardard jp6s dont have piezo, neother do they have 25 frets
Id go for the sv, but as youve already been tod try to mplay them both
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 11:11 PM

I meant 24 and I didn't know they all didnt have piezo
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 11:27 PM

Reviews: 12

hmm.... they're both good axe's but different beasts.
I only have an S5470 and assuming the construction between that and an SV5470 are similar, they're really light guitars; I bet the SV is even lighter from the lack of ZR II bridge. Most of my axe's have middle pups and they've never been in the way, but that's just me.
I've also played numerous JP6's at stores [with and without piezo's] and they feel "small" and balanced. Not necessarily a bad thing either; just different. The stock pups on the JP's are awesome as well. I really doubt the basswood used on these JP's are in the same grade as your RG350...
Neck profiles are obviously different; JP6's being "rounder" than the flatter Wizard Prestige. Both are really silky smooth necks though. The question really is: feel of birdseye maple neck vs 5-piece maple/walnut construction.
Hopefully you can come across with an SV locally... i've only came across a few...

Reg
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 03:31 AM

And another reply you already thought of:

Quality prize goes to the EBMM, I have yet to find a guitar with a stiff construction like those. they really resonate well.

NeckAward goes to the ibanez, the EBMM neck is a little rounder and fatter

Don't worry too much about the neck pickups, you can always take them out, or screw them down as far as possible, in which position they shouldn't matter to your picking anymore.

Pickups should be replaced on all ibanez models, if not featured with original manufacturers pickups ( dimarzio, emg, whatever ). Stock ibanez pickups are not bad, but lack dimension when compared to, for instance, dimarzio's

Fret access is excellent on both guitars

My vote would be the EBMM, if you can spare the money.
I have yet to come across a guitar that resonates so well, has such a high quality feel and can be set up as nice as this one.

but indeed,... try to play both and see what YOU like.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys, there is only about $200-$300 difference in price between the two (Canadian prices). Knowing that, does that change your opinion at all? Especially since a pup swap will increase the overall cost of the SV.

What is the hard shell case like for the JP6? Is it molded like the j-craft ones?
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 05:02 PM

Does the SV suffer from the same sustain problem that afflicts the S5470?

If so...I'd stay away from it.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixelion View Post
Thanks for the input guys, there is only about $200-$300 difference in price between the two (Canadian prices). Knowing that, does that change your opinion at all? Especially since a pup swap will increase the overall cost of the SV.

What is the hard shell case like for the JP6? Is it molded like the j-craft ones?
Yes it does, go with the EBMM if it's only 200/300 difference
I can't comment on the case, only seen the gigbags ( which are very small and handy! )
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 02:53 PM

Reviews: 2

"Does the SV suffer from the same sustain problem that afflicts the S5470?"

Yes it does.

This is an old thread but though i would chime in since I have both - JP6 and SV5470. The JP6 is a much better quality guitar in build and performance.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixelion View Post

Having four myself including a 7-string and a BFR, I am obviously going to speak highly of the Music Man JP models. If you can get one with a piezo, I would highly recommend this. If you also shop around and are willing to buy a pre-owned guitar you may be able to pick up a BFR for the price of a non-BFR model. The build qualities are all exceptional especially as it relates to the fretwork, the trem and the pickups. My only intial concern was the location of the pickup selector as it's quite close to the strings.

Since 2008, the JP cases on the non BFR models are of the molded variety with the form fitting padding for the JP bodies. I can't comment on all BFR models, but mine is a Koa BFR and it came in a G&G style case.

I cannot comment on the Ibanez. I'm sure it is an exceptional guitar as well.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Unless you have a 24 hs day guitar tech and will buy at least 2,forget about musicman.
Trem is always out of tune cause there isn't a locking nut.
It'll drives you crazy.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
Unless you have a 24 hs day guitar tech and will buy at least 2,forget about musicman.
Trem is always out of tune cause there isn't a locking nut.
It'll drives you crazy.
They have locking tuners.
I've seen people make Carvin guitars with an OFR with no locking nut, just locking tuners, and they say it stays in tune.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousef View Post
They have locking tuners.
I've seen people make Carvin guitars with an OFR with no locking nut, just locking tuners, and they say it stays in tune.
Try it and you'll see.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
Try it and you'll see.
I don't have to try any of them. People tell me they stay in tune. I watch John Pretucci playing live and he uses with (dives and pulls) and he doesn't go out of tune.

Where do you get the basis for your judgments? You really think Musicman would make a floating trem that would not stay in tune? You really think John Petrucci would use these guitars if the trem didn't stay in tune?

Please point out some videos or examples of people using the JP musicman trems and not staying in tune, otherwise, please stop posting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode