help me choose a guitar! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

help me choose a guitar!

Hey guys, I'm looking to pick up a backup guitar, and I need some help deciding. I've been looking at the S series, and this guy is selling his S370DX for $200 on craigslist and it's in great condition. I haven't heard much about these guitars, so could snagging this deal and swapping out the pickups make this guitar worth the money? If not, I've been looking at some RGs and RGAs in the $400-$600 price range, any suggestions on which ones to pick out? I currently play a Schecter Damien Elite in Drop B, and play August Burns Red/Elitist/Veil of Maya type stuff. Sorry for the wall of text, but I need some help haha. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 08:05 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: help me choose a guitar!

Hey Anthony, welcome to Jemsite. Does your Damien have a trem on it? Do you plan to use a trem on whatever guitar you choose for a backup? These sound like silly questions, but it will make a difference.

Ryc
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 08:10 PM

Reviews: 4

Definitely a decent price on that S370, but I've got no experience with the ILT1 trem (does anyone know about that? actually don't think iv'e heard much about it). Can't say much more than that.

As for RGs and RGAs, I'd reccommend you do what just about everyone here is going to recommended and find a nice used MIJ RG in that price range. 400-600 USD won't get you out of the Indonesian model range, and that's ok for most (outside of jemsite ) but if you're a stickler for quality those might not make you too happy.

Is your Damien an FR and do you use the trem lots if so?

If you're looking only for a new ibanez i'd personally choose something like the new RGA72QME or possibly one of the RGDs.
post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Negative, my Damien is a fixed bridge. I've never actually played with a trem before, and I probably wouldn't use it, but I don't know since I was never really given the option before haha

@Bronx: Would swapping out the pickups in the S370DX make it worth getting instead spending more money on a MIJ?
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 08:32 PM

Reviews: 11

i would go with the RGD320 (has a trem; Edge III) or RGD321 (has a fixed bridge; Gibralter standard) if your not looking for super duper high quality. however, if your looking to spend a bit of $ you can turn that schecter into your backup guitar and get an RGD2120z (trem; Edge Zero) or the RGD2127z (trem; Edge Zero, 7 string for detuning sexyness!) but one way or another those are your best shot. they have a longer scale length than the rest of the ibanez's so its really built for detuning
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 08:45 PM

If you have no experience with a trem, I'd advise against that S370. For a metalcore backup guitar that (possibly crap) trem just seems like bad news bears to me. You need stability and simplicity. If your Damien breaks a string at a gig I wouldn't wanna be relying on that 320 as a backup.

Replacing the pickups would make it sound better, most likely pretty darn good, but it doesn't address any of the other issues like it having a possibly iffy trem, tuning stability, the fact that the fretwork on MIJ guitars makes MIK/MII stuff look like a 3rd grade project...

Also...are you an EMG guy?
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 08:46 PM

I think what Bronx is saying is that if you can spend $400-$600, you'll get a far better deal on a used RG 5xx or S5xx series guitars. They are WAY above and beyond the quality of a new S-3xx series.

The above suggestions about the RGA/RGD guitars is also a very good route to pursue.
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx View Post
If you have no experience with a trem, I'd advise against that S370. For a metalcore backup guitar that (possibly crap) trem just seems like bad news bears to me. You need stability and simplicity. If your Damien breaks a string at a gig I wouldn't wanna be relying on that 320 as a backup.

Replacing the pickups would make it sound better, most likely pretty darn good, but it doesn't address any of the other issues like it having a possibly iffy trem, tuning stability, the fact that the fretwork on MIJ guitars makes MIK/MII stuff look like a 3rd grade project...

Also...are you an EMG guy?
Sweet, good point. So I'm guessing the trem problem rules out the RGD320 as well?

As far as pickups, I do have EMGs in my Damien, but I'm actually looking at picking up some DiMarzio's to put in the new axe. I'm looking for pickups with high gain, nice mids, and a really tight sound.
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 08:58 PM

Reviews: 11

the RGD has a bit of a better trem than an s370 but luckily it can be replaced with a prestige quality trem (edge pro but its $270. but very worth it!) with no routing and minimal work to be done to it. i cant say the same for the s370 or really any S series with the ZR trem. and also, dimarzios will fit right in and look great! i suggest an X2N for the bridge with an EVO2 in the neck (i use this combo for playing the exact type of music. bring me the horizon, miss may i, etc.) but thats off topic.
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBZRG1527prestige View Post
the RGD has a bit of a better trem than an s370 but luckily it can be replaced with a prestige quality trem (edge pro but its $270. but very worth it!) with no routing and minimal work to be done to it. i cant say the same for the s370 or really any S series with the ZR trem. and also, dimarzios will fit right in and look great! i suggest an X2N for the bridge with an EVO2 in the neck (i use this combo for playing the exact type of music. bring me the horizon, miss may i, etc.) but thats off topic.
Careful....if you get one of those '11 models your'e sittin' on an EZII for life (unless there's something that's a swap? dunno yet?).

I don't see why you wouldn't go 321 with the RGD's. That's a solid backup guitar. Heck between that and the Schecter it'd be my main personally. Throw some D-Activators or an X2N in there and that should be quite a devastating axe for your application.
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't see why you wouldn't go 321 with the RGD's. That's a solid backup guitar. Heck between that and the Schecter it'd be my main personally. Throw some D-Activators or an X2N in there and that should be quite a devastating axe for your application.
The RGDs look very nice, but I can only find the 320 on eBay. Would the trem a problem or is not really a big deal? I like the color selections of the 320 better than the one color 321 as well. Any RGs or RGAs out there that match the RGDs?
post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 09:26 PM

RGA72TQM or RG570
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 09:30 PM

something like this would be a monster. The pop up here all the time.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f28/fs...ck-109144.html

For an RGA: I would go with the RGA72TQM (EZ-2 trem) or RGA72QM (fixed Gibraltar)
post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 09:34 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Careful....if you get one of those '11 models your'e sittin' on an EZII for life (unless there's something that's a swap? dunno yet?).

Whats the problem with the EZ2, have you tried one yet? All reports so far from Rich is that it is actually a pretty good trem.
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
For an RGA: I would go with the RGA72TQM (EZ-2 trem) or RGA72QM (fixed Gibraltar)
AHHH so many choices! Should I brave the trems or stay away? :X Thanks for all the help guys, keep the suggestions coming!

edit: should I go for the H-H setup? I heard that H-S-H can affect sustain. Truth?

Last edited by anthonyfaso; 02-04-2011 at 09:46 PM.

Tags
570 , 770 , rga , rgd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

RGA72QME

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode