HELP ME CHOOSE A GUITAR! ESP LTD OR JACKSON - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 24
HELP ME CHOOSE A GUITAR! ESP LTD OR JACKSON

Alright I came across two great offers on two guitars! The first Guitar Being an ESP LTD Viper 1000 and the second Guitar being A Jackson ke3 Kelly. If you had to choose, which guitar would you get? They're both the same price. The main difference is Pickups THe Viper has EMG 81/85 and The Jackson has Seymour duncan JB TB4/Jazz SH2N and has a knockoff floyd rose. I play death metal, thrash metal and grindcore.
So if you had to choose, which guitar and WHY!
(im not a jackson fan at all what so ever but since im getting a killer deal on the guitar might as well look into it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 04:11 AM

Re: HELP ME CHOOSE A GUITAR! ESP LTD OR JACKSON

i think the esp would be more fit for you cause of the emg's...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 06:00 AM

Reviews: 1

Well...

the ESP has EMG pickups, which will fit your style of music, however, the jackson has the floyd rose in it, which will be very useful in your metal endeavors.

if i HAD to pick, i would choose the jackson.
there was only so long i could go without a floating bridge, although not everybody finds it necessary.

Also, im not a fan of active EMG pickups. due to being active they suck all the tone from your' guitar and leave you with something very generic that, well sounds like everybody else. To me they feel a bit more digital with little feeling in them. you can always stick new pups in the jackson. (or the esp for that matter), but think of it this way, it easier to switch the pickups in the jackson, than it is to stick a floyd rose in the ESP
(having said this, im not a fan of crazy guitar shapes so the kelly isn't for me! but alot of people like them)

i hope that helps, but also, being an ibanez forum it has to be said:
>>>Get neither and buy an RG or a JEM
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 06:32 AM

My workhorse guitar is a Jackson Dinky Professional. Odd because I have a Jackson soloist too but I prefer the Dinky! So Yes I'm very biased towards Jacksons... but....

IMHO EMGs are limiting. I have 81/85 installed into a Les Paul and it's very much a one trick pony - great, really great for metal tones and lead work but not at all versatile and not a great clean sound.

That said, play both and pick the one that's right for you! Most important factor for me is what it feels like in your hands - forget fashion/endorsements/looks for a moment.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seani View Post
My workhorse guitar is a Jackson Dinky Professional. Odd because I have a Jackson soloist too but I prefer the Dinky! So Yes I'm very biased towards Jacksons... but....

IMHO EMGs are limiting. I have 81/85 installed into a Les Paul and it's very much a one trick pony - great, really great for metal tones and lead work but not at all versatile and not a great clean sound.

That said, play both and pick the one that's right for you! Most important factor for me is what it feels like in your hands - forget fashion/endorsements/looks for a moment.

a VERY good point. you need to feel right playing the guitar, it's no point getting a guitar in an explorer shape if you can't sit comfortably with it. try them, and let your ears be the judge. you need to enjoy the feel of the guitar aswell as the sound and the look.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 05:24 PM

If you're totally into metal n thrash metal stuff ... go for the EMGs, as EMGs give u the proper metal tone
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 24

I appreciate everybodys response! I take in everyones input into consideration. Let me clarify im not going off of looks. I can give a crap less of how a guitar looks. I base my decisions off of quality and how long a product will last and the abuse it can go through. pickups can easily be replaced. I understand both guitars are neck heavy. Im just not sure which one to get, which one has a better quality. Lets just say im getting them for $400USD each. So im not sure which one to choose? and for the guy who said to get an Ibanez, This is not an ibanez thread! Its strictly posted under "Other instruments rather then ibanez" so naw man, im not much of a fan of Ibanez when it comes to deathmetal. So no, im not even thinking of an Ibanez(even tho I do own one, it just collects dust) I would buy an ESP Horizon anyday over any Ibanez. Im not bashing on guitars, or brands or on people. This is just my opinion. GO grab an Ibanez JEM and play deathmetal in drop B. Then go grab an ESP Horizon and Play deathmetal..you be the judge
If I was playing hard rock or "Glam metal" oh yeah, Ibanez would be my first choice!! but im not so dont recommend an Ibanez, thanks.

Last edited by Weezel; 01-06-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Tags
1000 , esp ltd , jackson , viper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode