Help me choose an S... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Help me choose an S...

I have been looking at some S-series on **** lately and I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on one.

3 have entered my sights

http://cgi.****.com/IBANEZ-S2170FB-S...item58872bd046

http://cgi.****.com/Ibanez-S-Series-...item414d00cf3f

http://cgi.****.com/Ibanez-S470DXQM-...item3eff41778c

Now obviously there are some large differences between the 3, the most glaring being that one is a Prestige model and the ladder 2 are regular production models.

So is the Prestige worth the extra coin? And do the different tops make a big difference in tone?

Any input is appriciated...
thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 02:26 AM

Reviews: 39
Re: Help me choose an S...

a) Can't post links to the bay on here, just post the auction number.

b) If you're considering build quality versus value - YES, prestige is totally worth the extra scratch. The neck quality and fret dressing is worlds better than the production models to start with, not to mention the upgraded hardware. Secondly, the top wood does affect the tone. Maple capped guitars will balance the sound of the dark mahogany and the bubinga will make the tone more round and complex. More wood = more tone. More cap = more tone change.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 04:13 AM

I haven't played any of the prestige's, but i do have 2 93 S540LTD's, and i can say i love these guitars!!!
btw i'm selling my black one in the trade section.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 01:05 PM

Those guitars don't even compare to your Japanese made 93 S540LTD's. A korean made Prestige? I'd pass on that. The 670 is made in Indonesia and comes with inf pups...yuk. Finally, the 470 is made in Korea with inf pups as well. They all have wizard II necks...which won't be anything close to the 93 MIJ guitars. And I might as well mention that the radius of the bridge is 430 and the neck is 400. Meaning they do not match and you will not be able to get the action as low. BTW..the 540's are 430mm.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 04:13 PM

Reviews: 39

You could always try and grab up a S1620 or one of the new 5470's. They are japanese made. I definitely agree that the quality of the japanese workmanship is a bit better, by the by. I played one of the new 5470's and it was fantastic!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 04:59 PM

the other guitar player in my band has one of the S 520 ex's, and it's not as comfortable as the mij's but it's not bad...

the body is actually thicker, but then again so is the neck ...... but it isn't a bad guitar @ all u should check one of those out it'd be cheaper, and easier than finding a used mij model.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 05:29 PM

I can save you the hassle of looking for a "used" MIJ model. I bought this as new old stock and never played. If you want it... let me know.

More pics here....

http://guitarmatrix.proboards.com/in...lay&thread=340

And it's actually a custom made guitar from North Hollywood.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-man View Post
I can save you the hassle of looking for a "used" MIJ model. I bought this as new old stock and never played. If you want it... let me know.

More pics here....

http://guitarmatrix.proboards.com/in...lay&thread=340

And it's actually a custom made guitar from North Hollywood.
In the words of Paris Hilton...... THAT'S HOT!!!!!!!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportrider24 View Post
In the words of Paris Hilton...... THAT'S HOT!!!!!!!
Wow that's in amazing shape!!! only thing i don't like is the 2 single coils... other than that awesome!!!!
what yr is it?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 09:35 PM

if im not mistaken, c2 is a stacked humbucker.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Rich from Ibanezrules offered me a very enticing deal on a very cool S...
Obviously the pictured HSS S is amazing...
And there are a few more even I have been looking at on e b a y...

I've got a lot of thinking to do!

Just one question, I have had no chance to try and "real" S guitars in stores. How does the ZR trem on the S's compare to an edge/lo pro/OFR trems, does it feel drastically different?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Vendor

The ZR has a very different feel if it's free floating [no ZPS in], the string breaks off the saddle very close to the fulcrom of the ball bearings so it has much less tension to fight in either direction. Also the action will not raise on a dive or decrease on a pullup like it will on a typical knife edge trem.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 07:52 AM

C2 is a stacked single coil. The ZR is very smooth. There have been problems with the trem bar on all but the most recent versions. Additionally, they've been known to occasionally have some buzzing problems. And like Rich mentioned, the fulcrum point is different. As a result, it requires more trem bar movement to achieve the same amount of pitch change when compared to the knife edge systems. I've owned both. I prefer the knife edge systems. Component quality is better and I like the "feel" better. Beyond that, spring configurations are limited due to the ZPS contraption.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 07:53 AM

The good ones...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode