Help me decide between these two guitars. - Page 3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Re: Help me decide between these two guitars.

Well, I bought the S1520. It ships on Monday!

I'll let you know how it plays when I get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 02:14 PM

Good buy, man! Between the two you mentioned, I definitely think you made the right choice, although I was going to suggest the S1625 so you could have a Prestige Wizard neck AND a ZR trem - Best of both worlds, IMO:

I had to look long and hard for mine. I'm glad I picked it up when I did.
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 03:47 PM

1520... big suprise.

Says alot about Ibanez's recent/current S offerings.
post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Eh, the S1520 will do. I'm just not a big fan of the figured bubinga thing - I'd much rather have a plain dark brown wood top, like that S1625 or the S1220.

I might even refinish it. Though that'd be silly.
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccabekyle View Post
Good buy, man! Between the two you mentioned, I definitely think you made the right choice, although I was going to suggest the S1625 so you could have a Prestige Wizard neck AND a ZR trem - Best of both worlds, IMO:

I had to look long and hard for mine. I'm glad I picked it up when I did.
ZR Trem? *ohhhh* I haven't seen that before. I'll have to check that out.
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Finally arrived.

This thing is just plain awesome.
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 06:39 PM

Congratz

So, are you happy with the choice then??
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 06:44 PM

S1520...Hands Down! Throw some new pickups in it, and a a setup, you got an amazing player!
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7jem View Post
Congratz

So, are you happy with the choice then??
Very happy. I was initially kind of skeptical (before it arrived) and was tempted to try and swap it for something else, but when it arrived. Damn.

I'm contemplating refitting it with stuff - for one, replacing all the worn cosmo hardware with chrome or nickel stuff. Also, new pickups.

Has anyone tried the Rio Grande Crunchbox or Punchbox? I like the look of them, and from what I've heard they sound really good, too.
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 02:48 AM

Damn, dude. You lucked out on the figuring on that top. Beautiful..
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Well, right now I'm kind of arguing with myself whether I should keep the S1520 (in which case I'll be doing a lot of mods to it) or sell it to get another guitar. I've been eyeing more simple, low-maintenance stuff without trems, like Gibson LP Studios and such.

If I do keep it, I plan to kit it out, though. Get it refinished in vintage/tobacco burst (the orangey plain top and gloss finish just isn't doing it for me), fit new chrome hardware, and put in new pups since I'm not particularly inspired by the present ones - they're good, but not great. I was thinking a PAF Joe for the neck and Breed Neck for the bridge.

Any opinions?
post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 06:10 PM

That's a nice guitar with crappy pups. IMHO.

The trem thing is no big deal once you get the hang of it. Appearance is subjective. Still a darn nice guitar. I think you will be sorry if you let it go.
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extant View Post
Well, right now I'm kind of arguing with myself whether I should keep the S1520 (in which case I'll be doing a lot of mods to it) or sell it to get another guitar. I've been eyeing more simple, low-maintenance stuff without trems, like Gibson LP Studios and such.

If I do keep it, I plan to kit it out, though. Get it refinished in vintage/tobacco burst (the orangey plain top and gloss finish just isn't doing it for me), fit new chrome hardware, and put in new pups since I'm not particularly inspired by the present ones - they're good, but not great. I was thinking a PAF Joe for the neck and Breed Neck for the bridge.

Any opinions?
Quite frankly, I think you don't like that guitar at all. It all seems like. You had it back for sale two days after you purchased it since you'd gotten a PRS (?) and now you're looking to strip it down to the bone to rebuild it in a completely different fashion.

Don't know my friend, do yourself a favor and evaluate well all the options before you embark on something for which you'll be cashing out a lot of time and money, may be even regretting it in the end.

One last question: Do you really like the feel and sound of the guitar? If you do, then it may be worth it, if not quite convinced it is something great, then you're probably better off thinking about getting something you may like better right off the gate.

Last edited by Gusfmm; 03-27-2007 at 07:47 AM.
post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusfmm View Post
Quite frankly, I think you don't like that guitar at all. It all seems like. You had it back for sale two days after you purchased it since you'd gotten a PRS (?) and now you're looking to strip it down to the bone to rebuild it in a completely different fashion.

Don't know my friend, do yourself a favor and evaluate well all the options before you embark on something for which you'll be cashing out a lot of time and money, may be even regretting it in the end.

One last question: Do you really like the feel and sound of the guitar? If you do, then it may be worth it, if not quite convinced it is something great, then you're probably better off thinking about getting something you may like better right of the gate.
I know it's expensive to mod things, and lowers their resale value, which is why I asked. I eventually decided out of the PRS, since it wasn't my style (even if the price was pretty good).

I'm just not used to the trem and neck - I keep bending the low E string all the way off the neck while playing, even though it's the best feeling neck I've ever had. And the trem is great, but it just makes it hard for alternate tunings, and I don't have the budget for two guitars. I'd get a SA or RGA, but I don't like the look of the SA headstock - I might consider an RGA, though. Or just get a tremol-no, if they're all that they can do.

I'm just worried that if I keep this 'if it's not inspiring, sell it' attitude I'll never find a guitar I can like enough to keep and mod. The feel is great, but if I could sell it for what I'm asking I could get a Gibson LP Studio Lite which looks real neat and I've been eyeing for a while - my only concern with that is how heavy it'd be compared to the S, and the brokerage costs (god damn canadian customs).

Does anyone have any experience with tremol-nos? If they really do work well, and if the guys who enquired don't get back to me, I might just keep the thing and fit one in so it can serve as a fixed bridge guitar when I want to play drop D or stuff.

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , chrome hardware , cosmo hardware , edge bridge , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , paf joe , prestige wizard , prestige wizard neck , pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode