Help me ID my project guitar? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Help me ID my project guitar?

Hi, I just bought this badly looked after, cheap guitar to use as a starter for guitar modding practice, but I'd like to know if anyone has any info on it first? Here are some pics:

I know its a pretty horrible guitar but I'd like to know anyway

Tx ^^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Re: Help me ID my project guitar?

Here are some more pics

Also, what is that black wire connected near the trem springs for? I'm assuming it's an earth?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 11:23 AM

indeed it is
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 01:10 PM

The overall shape of the body is kind of cool, but the placement of the tone pot (being closer to the bridge than the volume pot) is puzzling to say the least. Also, make sure whichever pickup you install in there is going to be something with decent treble and strong upper-midrange since the route is so far away from the bridge, it's practically a middle pickup! Looks like a fun project, though. Are you going to paint it anything different?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Yeh the painting is the main part of the project! I saw someone on here had taken their white PGM and put a black pinstripe around , which looked awesome! I was thinking deep purple (hehe) for the body with a cream stripe arounnd the edges, as well as a purple headstock, but leaving the neck the way it is. Hope it turns out looking as good as it does in my head. In terms of pickups, i was thinking of trying to find something thats kinda sharp (for a metal soun) that would become warmer as I roll off the volume. Any ideas?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 03:56 PM

Have fun with the project .

Regards

André

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 04:41 PM

What kind of budget do you have for pickups, considering you'll be doing other work?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Eish, student budget :P nah im gonna save for pickups until i can afford a nice seymour duncan, its what i always do. I was thinking of doing an EVH finish (assuming he doesnt sue me), the one with the black background and yellow stripes. What you think?

This was supposed to be a display piece but the neck is quite nice so I think itll have to be played.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 07:25 PM

if i were you id route a single coil sized hole behind that middle humbucker (cos it sure aint a bridge!!) and put a seymour duncan JB jr or something in there, that way you get a proper bridge pickup out of it!
other than that looks like a fun project!!
is there enough play in the cables and are the holes the right size for you to just be able to unscrew the pots and switches and swap holes around? cos to me it looks like the selector switch wants to be where your volume is, your volume where your tone is and your tone where your switch is!!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

yeah i would like to do that but i dont trust myself with a router :P well i have taken it completely to pieces, gonna get new volume and tone pots and knobs anyway so it matters not

heres a (bad) pic of what id like it to look like, the body in the pic is too busy but u get the idea. opinions? ull have to excuse my use of the GIMP, im a noob at it hehe

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Oh and btw, what difference does it make where the pickup is? Surely i could put a JB in that position and it would still sound good?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 08:28 PM

Pickups sound differently in different positions. Plug in a 2-pickup guitar: the bridge pickup will sound treblier than the neck pickup, and that's not because the pickups are voiced differently, it's because of the way in which the string vibrations are "heard" by the pickups at different points. The pickup on your guitar is further from the bridge than a typical bridge pickup, so it's going to sound a little bit bassier than it normal would. A bright, ceramic-magnet humbucker would probably compensate for that. BTW, the black and yellow paint job would be cool.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 11:23 PM

hmm, if you use heavy strings then that would be a good place for the 'bridge' but with 9's or light 10's, its going to be a little bassy.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Well the sort of tone I want to go for is best described by the intro to the In Flames song "Bullet Ride", and the clean by the intro to their song "The Jester's Dance"

BTW thanks for being so helpful guys I'm starting to spend an inordinate amount of time on this site hehe
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Just in case anyone is interested, here are some progress pics, the gray is some sort of paint primer, a bit of mission to remove but still fun, maybe all the hand sanding will help me develop some arm muscles

Tags
bridge pickup , neck pickup , seymour duncan , trem springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode