Help me identify my new road flare red RG? Possibly a 550? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Help me identify my new road flare red RG? Possibly a 550?

Hey everybody - I just picked up a new RG off of the local craigslist, and I was wondering if anybody could help me identify it. It looks like an RG550 to me, but the seller swore up and down that it was a special edition 570 or something. Also, as I'm new to the whole Floyd Rose thing, I'm not entirely sure what kind of trem I'm sporting; if anybody could help me out with that as well, I'd appreciate it.

The serial number on the back of the neck, if it'll help, is F323499.

As far as the guitar, it seems really nice. Really dirty, really road worn, really old strings, but still really nice. Got it cheap, too.

Last edited by poolshark; 10-31-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 02:09 PM

Re: Help me identify my new road flare red RG? Possibly a 550?

It is a 93 rg550 with an Ibanez lo-pro edge trem.that doesnt look road flare red unless its really faded or the color is way off in the pics.also you need to get the knife edges laying parallel on the trem so the trem is set up right. Nice axe btw
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 02:12 PM

Reviews: 12

... definitely a 550CA, Candy Apple with Lo-Pro Edge (bridge angle is way too high, needs adjustment to springs after new strings).
For $220, that's definitely well-worth the price and then some!
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reguv760 View Post
... definitely a 550CA, Candy Apple with Lo-Pro Edge (bridge angle is way too high, needs adjustment to springs after new strings).
For $220, that's definitely well-worth the price and then some!
indeed !

Bravo !
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, gentlemen. Candy apple does seem to suit the color much better, and it really will be nice with a little tlc.

Question, though. I get string buzz when the tremolo is correctly aligned - will I trash my knife edges if I adjust the height studs with the strings tuned to pitch?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 03:06 PM

nice axe.good deal.
what are knife edges?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

I mean the edges of the tremolo that ride on the height adjustment studs. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 03:26 PM

gotcha...i know what youre referring to but i guess i never knew what they were called.thank you
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 03:54 PM

Reviews: 18

You won't trash the knife edges by adjusting the height on the trem with the strings tuned to pitch.

Jimmy
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 05:09 PM

nice one!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 06:22 PM

Reviews: 6

Deffo a 550, maple neck is dead give-away, like mentioned above, the saddle needs to be level with the guitar body, if you get fret buzz then the bridge is too low or there is too much relief on the neck.

SKI JUMP SYNDROME, the necks are so thin the truss rod needs to be bang on.

That is a great guitar and a fab price too, you have a good find there. $100 with a good luthier and you`ll be dancin`
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 06:27 PM

Buzz for me has almost always been neck (truss rod) related. Sure if you raise your bridge super high you can eliminate buzz with a poorly adjusted truss rod, but when properly set up your bridge can be ridiculously low. Also make sure your frets have not become loose, or they may need a relevel/crown or replacement. That buzz is generally isolated to the high/low E however, you can test this by trying to slide a piece of paper underneath the frets.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 07:12 PM

Reviews: 6

on the thick e string, place one finger on the string at fret one, and fret the same string further up at fret 15, in effect using the string as a straight edge. Notice the gaps near your fingers are very small but in the middle you should have a larger gap between string & fret, if too small or too big then the truss rod needs adjusting by a luthier. Dont attempt it yourself.

If the gap is approx 3/4 of a mm then its ok and any fret buzz will be associated with uneven frets.

Make no mistake, paying a luthier to love your guitar makes a MASSIVE difference.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips, fellas. I'm actually pretty experienced with setups - I've just never toyed much with a Floyd Rose style bridge.

Thanks again.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian555 View Post
on the thick e string, place one finger on the string at fret one, and fret the same string further up at fret 15, in effect using the string as a straight edge. Notice the gaps near your fingers are very small but in the middle you should have a larger gap between string & fret, if too small or too big then the truss rod needs adjusting by a luthier. Dont attempt it yourself.

If the gap is approx 3/4 of a mm then its ok and any fret buzz will be associated with uneven frets.

Make no mistake, paying a luthier to love your guitar makes a MASSIVE difference.
you can do the truss rod yourself.just becareful.1/8th turn at a time.
i dont think anyone on here hasnt adjusted theirs at one time or another.ya gotta learn sometime,just be patient.my action is .015 lower than factory and it cost me $0.00

Tags
rfr rg550 rg570

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode