Help me identifying this RG750 please! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Help me identifying this RG750 please!

Hey guys! hope you're doing fine so, maybe tomorrow I'll be a member of the RG family. I'm going to see a RG750, White, 1991 with hardcase. The guitar is original, except for the pickups which has been upgraded to Paf Pro and Tone zone. The seller claims that the bridge is a Lo Pro Edge, but on 1991 the 750 had the Original Edge, anyways, the seller may be wrong. I don't know how to identify if this is a Edge or a Lo Pro Edge or whatever

Could you guys please give me some help? here are some pics of the guitar:

I think the knobs were changed too, but that doesn't bother me at all.

Any help will be greatly apreciated. And excuse my bad english, it's not my first language
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 06:19 PM

Re: Help me identifying this RG750 please!

The trem is Lo Pro Edge. What has happend here is that the guitar has a neck made in late 1991 and stamped as such but used on a 1992 model RG750 which does have the Lo Pro Edge trem. I would go by the catalog and not the serial number in this case.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very very much Ibanez Daemon! it's something common this to happen? should i be worried about something? again thanks for your reply!

According to the neck plate (Bensalem) it would be 1991, right?

BTW I guess that the trem arm is a replacement, right?

Last edited by Mr Mojo Risin; 04-10-2012 at 06:28 PM.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin View Post
Thank you very very much Ibanez Daemon! it's something common this to happen? should i be worried about something? again thanks for your reply!
Hey no problem!! That is quite normal. I have RG models like that, the necks were made probably in November/December one year and got that years serial number but were used on next years guitar which sometimes has a different spec to the model the year before.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:

BTW I guess that the trem arm is a replacement, right?
The trem arm is a replacement one. All Edge/Lo Pro Edge trem bars are black.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
The trem arm is a replacement one. All Edge/Lo Pro Edge trem bars are black.
Thanks again buddy! I don't mind the arm being a replacement, as long the bridge is the original Lo Pro Edge, tomorrow i'm going to see that guitar and i'm kinda noob on the RG's thing (i had a 570 with Edge I think but quite a long time ago). There's a way i can identify the trem on person and check if it works as intended? something i need to check about the integrity? no more questions haha

Best Regards!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 06:49 PM

Check this out:

http://www.jemsite.com/jem/trems.htm
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Excellent! well, great info here and greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help IbanezDaemon!

Tomorrow I'll let you know if I bought the guitar. It seems like a nice one.
Oh, one last thing, the Bensalem neck plate that would make the guitar a 1991, it's a part of the neck or the body when Ibanez put the guitar together? if I look up on the neck pocket should be written the date of the body?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 07:39 PM

The Bensalem plate will have a 6 digit code I think with first 2 numbers denoting year. If there is no number on the plate the serial is then on the headstock. You will get the model number stamped in the neck pocket but usually not the year.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Excellent! well, great info here and greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help IbanezDaemon!

Tomorrow I'll let you know if I bought the guitar. It seems like a nice one.
Oh, one last thing, the Bensalem neck plate that would make the guitar a 1991, it's a part of the neck or the body when Ibanez put the guitar together? if I look up on the neck pocket should be written the date of the body?
Those guitars were made in Japan but assembled in either Bensalem or North Hollywood depending on year. I thought the Bensalem plates were on the earlier models. That serial number does look like it's 1991. It's also possible that someone replaced the Edge trem with a Lo Pro Edge.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Those guitars were made in Japan but assembled in either Bensalem or North Hollywood depending on year. I thought the Bensalem plates were on the earlier models. That serial number does look like it's 1991. It's also possible that someone replaced the Edge trem with a Lo Pro Edge.
Yes, as far as I know (read) the Bensalem were used till 1991, so that would be OK.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 10:22 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
I think your right....I'm pretty sure it's a '91. White wasn't available in '92. I think the best possibility is that it's a late '91 that was built after the changeover to Lo-Pro's. The trem certainly has enough wear on it to be 10 years old. Of course, as IbanezDaemon pointed out, Ibanez will sometimes build a guitar that doesn't match the specs of any particular year. Also, being that it's a Bensalem guitar, the builder could have used whatever parts he had in front of him at the time..........He may have gotten a fresh batch of the "Brand new design" Lo-Pro and wanted to try it out..........

edit: 20 years old...........I'm getting old....LMAO
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 01:17 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Great guitars! I've been needing to add a 750 to my 760 and 770s. There seems to be some considerable pitting on the trem, plus a decent build up of rust on the saddles.
Considering the trem cosmetics and considerable finish dings--don't pay too much.
This guitar is a perfect project RG, and begs for a refinish. Either way--you'll be very happy with it!
Start thinking about the refinish--what you want to do. Many of us will gladly contribute the info you need to end up with a killer RG. I'd also dump in some DiMarzios.
Keep us posted! Once you get it, post a new thread as an ongoing project thread--then we can all guide you through the refinish and upgrades.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 11:20 AM

Considering that the pickups and knobs have been changed, is there any reason to assume that the trem hasn't? Used trems are a dime a dozen. Maybe the previous owner looked the LoPro better? Next question it's why does it mater? It's not like you're looking at an all original collectible guitar here. If you want it to be more "original just by a used Edge and put it on there. There's a million of those flatting around too.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Considering that the pickups and knobs have been changed, is there any reason to assume that the trem hasn't? Used trems are a dime a dozen. Maybe the previous owner looked the LoPro better? Next question it's why does it mater? It's not like you're looking at an all original collectible guitar here. If you want it to be more "original just by a used Edge and put it on there. There's a million of those flatting around too.
Ya--Jesse's right!
Great playing guitar as-id, so if price is gopd--het it as a player:s guitar. Don't need Chanel anything, except maybe pickups you likeneyyrt

Tags
1991 , bensalem , edge , lo pro edge , rg 750

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode