help me out! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

help me out!

Ok I am changing the Pickups in my Ernie Ball Music Man Silhoutte guitar. I am putting in a Dimarzio X2N in the Bridge and a Dimarzio Tone Zone in the neck.

I need to know what the spacing is for the pickups. I keep getting mixed answers! The guitar has a fixed bridge. Does F-Spaced mean Floyd Spacing (as in Floyd Rose spacing? ) or Fender Spacing?

Here are some pics

http://photobucket.com/albums/c291/shreddy01/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 11:11 PM

Re: help me out!

F=Floyd.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Are you sure?
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 11:48 PM

No it says on the Dimarzio website that F-spacing means Fender (same thing anyway) spacing. Exerpt for Dimarzio

'Why are there two different spacings?
A long time ago (in the 20th century, actually) the electric guitar world was divided between Gibson and Fender designs. One of the differences between the two was string spacing. In general, Gibson chose a narrower string spacing at the bridge than Fender, and therefore the polepieces on Gibson humbuckers were closer together than the magnets on Fender pickups. When guitar shops started installing humbuckers in the bridge position of Strats, it was obvious that the strings didn’t line up with the polepieces, and if the E strings were too far outside, the sound could suffer. Our first humbuckers followed the original Gibson spacing, and we call them standard-spaced. When we released our first humbuckers with wider spacing, Floyd Rose bridges were very popular. Floyd string-spacing is the same as Fender spacing, so we naturally called the new pickups F-spaced.'

'How do I know which spacing to use?
F-spaced pickups measure 2.01" (51 mm) center-to-center from the first polepiece to the sixth. Standard-spaced pickups measure 1.90" (48 mm). Although some players believe that F-spaced pickups are only for the bridge position of tremolo bridge guitars, many guitars with fixed bridges (including late 1990s Gibson Les Pauls and Epiphone LPs) should have F-spaced pickups in the bridge position. Most tremolo equipped guitars that have a nut width of 1-11/16” (43mm) or more should also use an F-spaced pickup in the neck position. If you’re replacing a bridge-position pickup and you're not sure what your string-spacing is, it's usually better to get an F-spaced model. It is not necessary for the strings to pass exactly over the center of the polepieces for best performance, but it is wise to avoid a situation where the E strings are sitting completely outside of the outer polepieces.'

'Do some of your humbuckers come only in one spacing?
The X2N® has solid bar polepieces that work in both normal and F-spaced applications. All 7-string humbuckers are available F-spaced only. All Parker Fly replacement pickups are F-spaced only.'

Hope that helps
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 11:49 PM

f- spaced stands for floyd, or fender spacing .

you'll be ok replacing the pickups with either spacing . Some will argue that and say you need an f-spaced bridge but it isn't nessicary. The neck is the same way , normal spacing would work fine
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

So since the F-spaced is bigger I might want to get the X2N (Bridge) with the F-spaced just to make sure that there wont be a drop off.

And the Standard spacing for the Tone Zone in the neck? Or just the F-spaced?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 12:01 AM

As said above the X2N uses a Bar magnet so it is both F-spaced and standard spaced so you dont have to worry. Id go F-spacing for the neck for sure.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

the Bridge pickup in my EBMM JP Model has the same size pickups as both humbuckers in the Silhoutte. The JP has a trem. if that helps. And the Bridge and Neck in the Silhoutte and the bridge in the JP are all bigger than the neck pickup in the JP. So That makes me think F-Spaced for both since F-spaced is bigger, am I right?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 12:15 AM

i have to totally disagree there. The neck on any guitar does not have to be f-spaced . I can tell you 100% for sure that tone wont be effected either way.

I dont even think that ibanez puts f-spaced dimarzios in neck on thier guitars.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 12:23 AM

Yes, the important thing to remember is that F spacing is for LOOKS ONLY: so the strings go directly over the polepieces and look nice and purty. It doesn't make a difference in the sound. I have a non-F spaced Steve Morse bridge model in my 550 and it is staying forever. Since you're getting an X2N, it doesn't really seem to matter. I wouldn't be surprised if there's no difference in the F and non-F on that one at all.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 12:29 AM

i don't believe there is any difference, though i've only seen the x2n referred to as F Spaced, and when comparing to a brand new one the singer of my old band bought to my 2 x2n's, they were the exact same minus color
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez.shredder
No it says on the Dimarzio website that F-spacing means Fender (same thing anyway) spacing. Exerpt for Dimarzio

'Why are there two different spacings?
A long time ago (in the 20th century, actually) the electric guitar world was divided between Gibson and Fender designs. One of the differences between the two was string spacing. In general, Gibson chose a narrower string spacing at the bridge than Fender, and therefore the polepieces on Gibson humbuckers were closer together than the magnets on Fender pickups. When guitar shops started installing humbuckers in the bridge position of Strats, it was obvious that the strings didn’t line up with the polepieces, and if the E strings were too far outside, the sound could suffer. Our first humbuckers followed the original Gibson spacing, and we call them standard-spaced. When we released our first humbuckers with wider spacing, Floyd Rose bridges were very popular. Floyd string-spacing is the same as Fender spacing, so we naturally called the new pickups F-spaced.'

'How do I know which spacing to use?
F-spaced pickups measure 2.01" (51 mm) center-to-center from the first polepiece to the sixth. Standard-spaced pickups measure 1.90" (48 mm). Although some players believe that F-spaced pickups are only for the bridge position of tremolo bridge guitars, many guitars with fixed bridges (including late 1990s Gibson Les Pauls and Epiphone LPs) should have F-spaced pickups in the bridge position. Most tremolo equipped guitars that have a nut width of 1-11/16” (43mm) or more should also use an F-spaced pickup in the neck position. If you’re replacing a bridge-position pickup and you're not sure what your string-spacing is, it's usually better to get an F-spaced model. It is not necessary for the strings to pass exactly over the center of the polepieces for best performance, but it is wise to avoid a situation where the E strings are sitting completely outside of the outer polepieces.'

'Do some of your humbuckers come only in one spacing?
The X2N® has solid bar polepieces that work in both normal and F-spaced applications. All 7-string humbuckers are available F-spaced only. All Parker Fly replacement pickups are F-spaced only.'

Hope that helps

+1
Thanks IS!! you saved me 15mins typing!!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian
i don't believe there is any difference, though i've only seen the x2n referred to as F Spaced, and when comparing to a brand new one the singer of my old band bought to my 2 x2n's, they were the exact same minus color
I dont know how many times i need to say it. THE X2N HAS A BAR MAGNET WHICH MEANS ANYTHING OVER THE ENTIRE BAR IS TRACKED BY THE PICKUP
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezNorthwest
+1
Thanks IS!! you saved me 15mins typing!!
No worries mate
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 03:08 AM

Honestly even if it is only for looks mate, buy an f-spaced pickup if you can, but as the others have stated a standard should work fine.

Although i am sceptical about this '100% guarantee' i mean would dimarzio really go through all the trouble of making standard and F-spaced pickups if there was no point?

Tags
bridge pickup , bridge position , dimarzio tone , dimarzio tone zone , ebmm john petrucci , electric guitar , equipped guitar , ernie ball , fixed bridge , floyd rose , floyd rose bridge , gibson les paul , gibson les pauls , guitar shop , john petrucci , john petrucci model , les paul , les pauls , neck pickup , neck pickups , neck position , parker fly , petrucci model , spaced pickup , steve morse , tone zone , tremolo bridge , yjm strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode