Help me pick a new Prestige - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By BigTim1973

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Help me pick a new Prestige

Hi everyone! It's been a while. I'm hoping to pick up a new Ibanez later this year. I've been looking at both the Ibanez website and Rich's website and there aren't a lot of color options that I'm fond of in the Prestige RG line presently. The ones I do like are:

RG657MSK
RGR652AHBWK
RG655GK

My current guitars are:

Herc Swirl with custom made Ibanez style neck and JEM style body. This guitar has Air Norton neck, Norton Bridge and a disable ISCV2 center since it ended up being way to low output to keep up with the neck and bridge pups.

Gibson SG Std

Warmoth mahogony Strat with Goncalo neck (ebony fingerboard), Dimarzio Fast Track 2 bridge, Cruiser Neck in middle, ProTrack in neck. SuperVee tremolo system (this is really nice).

My musical interests are 80s/90s metal/rock, instrumental melodic rock / guitar music, and I am interested in fusion jazz here and there (stuff like Martin Miller I've seen on youtube).

With all that said, which of those Ibanez models would you choose and why? I'm torn between liking a HH configuration so I don't have to navigate around the center pup with my picking, and the HsH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

I am considering selling the SG and/or Strat for funding toward 1-2 Prestige RGs. I want to have my musical bases covered as efficiently as I can to keep things simple with maintaining fresh strings etc.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 11:33 PM

Re: Help me pick a new Prestige

I'd probably pick the RG657MSK out of those because i've been gassin' for a maple board ibby. I pick right over the middle pickup on an HSH too but i just lower the s*** out of them on all my guitars to where its a non-issue. I'd pick a DY genesis 550 over the 655 and was never a fan of the white p/u ash bodied RGs. I'm with you the finishes have been lackluster on RG prestiges lately.

No interest in an AZ? From what you've said i feel like the might be the best option for ya.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 09:05 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Seems like total personal preference on your choice & price limit but if any guitar you're considering is discontinued for 2018 (and you must buy brand new) then don't wait too long to pull the trigger.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathus View Post
I'd probably pick the RG657MSK out of those because i've been gassin' for a maple board ibby. I pick right over the middle pickup on an HSH too but i just lower the s*** out of them on all my guitars to where its a non-issue. I'd pick a DY genesis 550 over the 655 and was never a fan of the white p/u ash bodied RGs. I'm with you the finishes have been lackluster on RG prestiges lately.

No interest in an AZ? From what you've said i feel like the might be the best option for ya.
I agree with the white pickups on the 655. Kinda reminds me of old white wall tires. But, seeing it in a youtube video, it didn't look bad. The 550 colors are just to wild for me these days. Not my style.

Regarding the AZ, I'm very interested in them because of two things: 1) 10 positions of pickup wiring for extreme variety of sound. 2) Roasted maple neck that, if I recall correctly is oiled rather than poly covered. The one thing that might be a hindrance to the AZ is I haven't been able to lay hands on the necks yet and wonder if that completely different neck profile is going to be something I would like or not. I think the Martin Miller model looks excellent but, not sure about the other color options. The Prestige seem lackluster to me in HH configuration. I do like the brown wood Premium quite a bit, but I prefer Prestige over Premium. I like the blue HSS. But, I'm kinda leaning HH on configuration, especially if I did go the AZ direction since the sounds I've heard on youtube have been pretty impressive on those.

I honestly feel a bit schizophrenic on guitar necks. As I've been trying to really nail down what I like and what I don't, it seems all over the map. I broke out calipers to measure the necks on my three current guitars to get an idea. My favorite feeling neck is on my swirl guitar (JEM replica). I've no clue what neck that really imitates but I know it's not a Wizard. My measurements were: At nut - 43.25mm wide, 18.45mm thick, at 19th fret - 55.10mm wide, 20.55mm thick (at 15th before heel slope begins on back of neck).

What's weird is, I wasn't really favoring the warmoth strat neck I have which is compound radius, 10"-16" fingerboard, C shape. But, I do like the neck on the SG Standard which is thicker. Other days, I feel like the strat neck is pretty good. Whereas most folks seem to think a strat neck is easier for chording, I feel like a flatter fingerboard is easier for chording. Anyone else experience that kind of schizoprhenia on neck profile??

Last edited by tt0511; 02-19-2018 at 09:52 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 02:45 PM

Those specs may be close to a Wizard III, but who knows on the profile.

I donít know if the RG6UCS is something youíd consider, but the stainless frets add a bit of smoothness that has almost become a necessity for me since being spoiled on them. The Prestige AZ has them as well.

Neck shapes has always been a good hub for me because thereís always the idea that a particular shape is going to fit my hand better. The truth is I adapt to all good necks about the same.

Iím starting to think that maybe I should switch all my guitars to Super Wizard RGís with stainless frets, because the idea of never adapting to a different neck or body shape may be more beneficial than switching between different guitars. Even the difference between an arch top S and a flat top RG is a slight adjustment for the picking hand and arm and can affect technique.

Wait for the Ibanez Rules special run and see if it floats your boat.

Fingers crossed for stainless!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankhenrylee View Post
Those specs may be close to a Wizard III, but who knows on the profile.

I donít know if the RG6UCS is something youíd consider, but the stainless frets add a bit of smoothness that has almost become a necessity for me since being spoiled on them. The Prestige AZ has them as well.

Neck shapes has always been a good hub for me because thereís always the idea that a particular shape is going to fit my hand better. The truth is I adapt to all good necks about the same.

Iím starting to think that maybe I should switch all my guitars to Super Wizard RGís with stainless frets, because the idea of never adapting to a different neck or body shape may be more beneficial than switching between different guitars. Even the difference between an arch top S and a flat top RG is a slight adjustment for the picking hand and arm and can affect technique.

Wait for the Ibanez Rules special run and see if it floats your boat.

Fingers crossed for stainless!

I think you are onto something with the uniformity of neck shapes. I have at various times been very fond of certain guitars for their feel. Then pick up some other guitar and think 'meh, not so great'. Then adapt to it and wonder what I didn't like about it before. That's probably due to hands adapting to what they're given over a little time. I've probably sold several guitars I never had to for that very reason. As I've thought about it over the past couple of days, I probably shouldn't get rid of my Warmoth Strat or my SG. I played them both yesterday and they just sound fantastic and feel great when the necks are cleaned up on the backs. Both have very slick fingerboards and frets.

I think what I'm after is just that 'one more guitar' that will be what my Herc Swirl is not. It is great in it's own way, but in my ignorance at the time I didn't really think about having someone else make a guitar from CNC'd parts (or however they made those). I've done a bit of work on it here, and then there, and it keeps getting better in little but significant ways. But, it will never be perfect like a factory Prestige or something like that, if that makes sense. Neither is my warmoth strat build like a factory Fender. It is better in some ways though.

I had a RGT320QRBB that was beautiful and amazing. For some reason, it was missing that little 'spark', that 'connection' with me when I played it. I sold it here on the boards. I never have figured out why that beautiful axe never hit the spot for me. I thought it may have been the neck thru construction, but then, I love the feel of the SG so, I'm not sure. Maybe that is one of those I never should have sold. Whatever the case, I remember the impeccable workmanship of that guitar and want another Prestige to keep forever.

I am open to something like the RG6UCS. I wonder if those bare knuckle pups are for me since I'm not really a listener of much modern metal. About as heavy as I listen to would be Dream Theater, Ozzy, Sevendust and the instrumental guys like Vai, Satch, Balducci, Petrucci, etc. I generally play my own stuff in standard tuning simply because it's a pain to down tune and for floyd rose setups, it really requires a dedicated guitar that's heavier strung and set up properly. At least, that's my understanding.

What's this Ibanez Rules 'special run' you're speaking of?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 08:57 PM

Hello all. I just signed up today and here is my 2 cents and it may help you with your decision maybe.

I have just purchased the RG652AHM about 10 days ago, which is very similar to one of the models your looking at. I too have had a couple of Sg standards. I liked them both but they just did not have anything over this new RG by anymeans. Now I am more used to a gibson scale length but, this RG has it hands down on quality fit and finish and the options of tones with the humbuckers and 5 way switch. You will never get that on a gibson. I wanted the new woody Jem model out now but I passed because of the different trem on it and after reading alot of post comparing the Indonesia Jems to the Prestige line, I am glad I went with the Prestige RG for the money I spent plus it was over 200 bucks cheaper than the woody Jem. I have only had one made in Japan Ibanez guitar and that was a 1979 ST300 or Studio 300. Other than the active electronics in it, it was very much like a gibby as far as playing goes. Also it was very heavy. I wanted a new guitar with a locking trem that had a great finish on it. I have a very nice fixed bridge Carvin and was considering that route but since they have changed the name and have pretty much gone crazy with their custom option and price tag, they were no longer an option. So thumbing through Sweetwaters website a few weeks back I took a look at the prestige Japan models. I fell in love with the rg652ahm looks and placed my order.

I must say I was nervous because I have only played one Japan Ibanez with their original trem on it and it belongs to a friend of mine. It is a 1986 PL1880BW. Very nice guitar. Well this new one of mine is just as nice but it is a different beast than his. I have a Gibson Firebird. It has a pretty wide fretboard. This new RG is about the same width but the neck is thinner from the fretboard to the center of the back of the neck. All in all I love the RG and it was what I was looking for as being a very versatile guitar. I am a studio player too. I always have to fumble around and take more than one guitar sometimes to the studio. Some guys are after a country style guitar track and others are after more of a rock sound. With the new RG I just purchased, I can go from country spanking chicken picking to as heavy guitar soloing as needed and all with a flip of the 5 way switch and stomping on a pedal. I know other guitars out there can do that as well but I doubt they are much better than a couple of the models your looking at. I like strats too. I have had 5 or 6 of them. But they were limited because I always wanted a little more punch in the bridge position. If your going to blow 1500 on a guitar I do not think you should have to spend another 300 bucks because the pick ups are not what your looking for. I guess that is why I went through so many strats. I have had a ton of other very nice guitars but none of them sounded anything like or was anywhere near as versatile as this new RG of mine.

I was always the guy who had to have made in USA on my headstock somewhere. But after the past few gibsons, including the firebird I purchased last year and about 4 newer American standard strats, Ibanez has it all over standard production USA guitars. PRS are nice but they feel alot like a gibson to me. I work on guitars too. I have had to file fret ends down and level frets on the other American made guitars I own. This RG is the bomb. Best fret job I have had personally from a regular production model guitar. The only thing I have done to it is I changed the strings out to 9 gauge and I lowered the action. Pretty simple stuff compared what I went through to get my firebird to play better.

I also got away from the SGs because they were or at least mine were so prone to not staying put. I was always messing with the truss rod and action. The newer ones are very fragile if you will. Nothing like the 60's or 70's model from days gone by. Mine would never stay put. I just got fed up one day and said that was it and I do not even look at them anymore. So if you sell your SG standard and get whatever RG you settle on, I am pretty sure you will not look back or miss them.

Oh and the Dimarzio pick ups really rock too. I have always been a fan of them. These sound pretty darn nice cranking through the tubes with the gain cranked up to at least 7. I highly recommend it!!

If I ever get another guitar later down the road, I will definitely consider Ibanez first next time. But I feel as though I am complete for the time being. Where in TN are you? I live outside of Nashville. These are my 2 cents for whatever it is worth. Hope I was not too long winded!!
froctavio likes this.

Last edited by BigTim1973; 02-20-2018 at 09:30 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:48 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Welcome to the site, good write up... glad you like the RG :-) great choice over the woody/indo. My SG has coil splits with the std 2 volume, 2 tone knobs (many tonal possibilities)... but the RG does a lot for sure. Apples vs oranges probably. Enjoy.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 10:15 PM

Hey thanks on your opinion of my first kind of review on the rg.
I too have owned that same SG with the split coils. I was not a fan of the sound on mine. it sounded too thin if you will. I looked and found a 498r gibson pick-up that could split the coil ability and threw it in the one I had. After all of that, I prefered just keeping it in the humbucker position but sold it eventually.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Welcome BigTim. Congrats on your new purchase and experience with it. Thatís good food for thought. I know what you mean about the neck always being on the move with the SG. It always requires tuning for sure. I havenít had to do neck adjusting on it until recently when a tech friend did a setup for me and tweaked it a touch. Mine is a standard 3 way switch, no coil taps so not as versatile as the new ones. I do really find it to be a sweet player though and the tone is just spank nasty. Iím just a home player and probably donít have the legitimate needs you do. So I can put up with a bit more than you can, not being a working musician.

I also know what you mean about the Japanese Prestige construction, having owned one before.

Iím wondering if the RG6UCS is more expensive due to the Bare Knuckle Aftermaths? I like the no nonsense look of that model but compared to the price of the 655GK or 652AHBWK, the 6UCS is not going to happen.

Iím a hop north of Nashville.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 11:42 PM

Yeah, the RG6UCS is a bit overpriced. I got mine used to save a few bucks, but I would totally do it again.

Ibanez Rules (Rich) is an internet seller and member here that contributes a ton the forum. He has an anniversary model coming out this summer, but there should be some news on what it will be soon(total guess as I have no idea on timing, he did say recently that the design was approved and he was waiting on pricing). There arenít many other places that Ibanez has done special runs for, so itís a pretty unique thing. He has an ad somewhere on this site.

Tags
prestige help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode