Help me pimp out my Gio! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Help me pimp out my Gio!

Hey guys!

I'm a proud owner of an RG 870QMZ. However, i enjoy collecting and working on guitars, and am coming into possesion of an Ibanez GRG150DX . I am aware that Gio's are the 'cheap' line of guitars.

However, this guitar looks really pretty (red body, pink pickguard) and I would LOVE to upgrade it as much as possible so that it's more playable.

My question is: What can I purchase/replace on the Gio to make it a meaner, more awesome guitar? The only think i can think of atm is the pickups and maybe tuners?

TLDR: What can I upgrade on my Gio to make it a better guitar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 12:30 AM

Re: Help me pimp out my Gio!

New neck, new body, new pickups, pots, caps, new jack and switch, tuners and new bridge and you should be good to go
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 12:30 AM

And maybe change the knobs if you find something you like more
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
New neck, new body, new pickups, pots, caps, new jack and switch, tuners and new bridge and you should be good to go
Hm, i feel like swapping out the neck and body is a bit much. Again, i understand that this is a cheap guitar...i'm not looking to play any gigs with this thing. Just want some quality of life upgrades.

You mentioned pots, caps, jack and switch. How do these make a difference in a guitar?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 06:08 AM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by PwnageEngage View Post
Hm, i feel like swapping out the neck and body is a bit much. Again, i understand that this is a cheap guitar...i'm not looking to play any gigs with this thing. Just want some quality of life upgrades.

You mentioned pots, caps, jack and switch. How do these make a difference in a guitar?
It was a joke dude. Gios aren't typically on people's lists of guitars to spend money on upgrades. If you like the neck and it's comfortable replace the tuners, get some reasonable pickups and call it a day.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 07:39 AM

Sell the GIO, spend money on pickup upgrades for your RG870QMZ if you haven't yet?

...not sure the GIO is worth upgrading is all.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 07:50 AM

Sell the gio and get a used RG350m or rg350dx and mod that.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 02:10 PM

If you really want to upgrade it, use the Gio as a guinea pig to learn how to level, crown, and polish frets and do a proper setup. Then you'll be able to make any guitar you ever own play up to its full potential....
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Help me pimp out my Gio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
If you really want to upgrade it, use the Gio as a guinea pig to learn how to level, crown, and polish frets and do a proper setup. Then you'll be able to make any guitar you ever own play up to its full potential....
By far the best response in this thread.

Thank you, I will probably do this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
What he said. I know how to set up my guitars thanks to my lab rat GIO.

Tags
gio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode