Help me with a Project (EVH Ibanez tribute) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 9
Help me with a Project (EVH Ibanez tribute)

As you may know (or not) I am a huge EVH fan. In bands and with friends I play a lot of different 80's music, but most of the music I play for fun is EVH stuff. I am constantly working on his techniques to achieve is style and tone. But I am not a Fender or Kramer guy, I am an Ibanez guy!

I have always wanted to make and EVH guitar. I have many guitars as a hobby and several for friends and forum members. Most of the guitars are scratch build Les Paul Replica (59 spec), but have also made V's, Explorers and other unique custom designs. My first though on this was to make a Wolfgang style guitar with Frankie graphics, but with modification that suit me better. But after purchasing several Sabers I realize that this is the ultimate Floyd equipped guitar design for me.

So the Ibanez Frankie concept was born. I was planning on making my own body out of a solid one piece mahogany, but really did not want to risk damaging one of my Sabers to make necessary templates. I looked for cheap bodies and found a few suitable candidates with various levels of damage. But then started thinking about just using the body, it would be cheaper and I could make all the templates I need for the future. So I ended up purchasing an old S470 body with no significant damage and no neck pocket stress fractures. It cost a bit more but it is a usable base. I would not use a body that has stress fractures even though it could be repaired; it is just not worth it in the long run. I want to do this fairly cheap but without compromise and end up with a great sounding and playing instrument with the EVH Frankie look.

So here is the current parts list.
S470 AANJ HSH body designed for 22 Fret neck
S570 24 fret AANJ Indo maple neck
Gotoh Chrome Bridge
Ibanez nut (Cosmo)
Ibanez tuners (Cosmo)
Ibanez electronics and misc. hardware
1 EVH Frankenstein 2 conductor pickup.

The plan is to rework the body and/or neck to fit. I will also fill the neck humbucker route and may replace route with a single coil route. I will most likely fill the middle pickup route. I will use the stock tremolo and bridge pickup location and route. Most like it guitar will end up with a volume and pickup selector. The pickup selector will be used as a kill switch, but may also be used for other pickups as needed. I would not mind having a neck single, but it will be a stacked design. I will fill the tone pot hole.

Decision 1 (neck mounting):
Go 24 fret. Requires extending neck into neck pickup cavity a bit. Possibly changing neck pickup location a bit, and works for me.
Go 22 fret. Requires removing 2 frets from the neck and I typically like the feel better.

I will most like go with the 24 fret plan.

Decision 2 (paint).
1. Relic or not. Doubtful
2. Replica paint exactly
3. Clean up the replica paint lines. Remove all jagged lines and "mistakes".
4. Somewhat change the design adding more balance to the colors, a bit more black, design would be clean. Kind of a cross between the Frankie and the 5150.
5. Reverse black and red to give.

This is a difficult decision for me. The original Frankie in red was obviously not painted very well, and I tend to be in the camp of nice clean well painted guitars. I do not like damaged guitars, so relic-ing is low on the list, but to some extend does help the original design. I really, really like the contrast when the design is reversed using black for the red. This is probably my personal favorite, but then again it is not a replica and may leave me wanting, which means another build and the ensuing argument with the misses.

All this being said this is obviously not intended to be an exact replica; it is an Ibanez S so really the design is wide open while maintaining the identity of the EVH Frankie.

Last edited by fly_with_v; 11-30-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Re: Help me with a Project (EVH Ibanez tribute)

Cleaned up the font isssue. Sorry
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Picture replica design

Forgive my limited image editing skills. This is rough and some changes would be made but it give the basic idea of a cleaner design with reverse colors

Last edited by fly_with_v; 12-04-2012 at 05:54 PM.
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 05:55 PM

Reviews: 15

If you plan on reworking the middle and neck cavities, might as well go for 24 frets. I like the reversed black/red: it's your style with a nod to EVH, just be sure to do a matching headstock. I'd also do the clean finish. I think it was Kramer that did clean versions of the black/yellow some years back that I liked.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Red clean concept, again just a quick scetch for color test

Last edited by fly_with_v; 12-04-2012 at 05:55 PM.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Matching headsock

Last edited by fly_with_v; 12-04-2012 at 05:56 PM.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 11:18 PM

im digging the red
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 11:27 PM

I like the red. I mean, if it's an EVH tribute, go red.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 05:05 AM

Reviews: 1

I agree on red based on the pics you posted. My favorite EVH is the white/black version though. Great project! Looking forward to seeing the finished Ibanez!
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Still not sure on the color as I really like the black, but will it leave me wanting?

Here is some work I completed this weekend

Built some templates for the future, still need to make one more floyd route

Tried Citristrip for about 36 hours with some minor and slow removel of the topcoat, became impatient and purchased the newest and expensive low odor Kleen-strip

and a couple hours later ended the night with this.

post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

I will clean it up a bit more with some targeted remover, then sand smooth.

My next step is to reverse the template and make fill blocks out of mahogany to fill the neck and middle pickup cavities, then I will route and fit the 24 fret neck pocket. I will also make a filler block for the floyd route in case I decide to have the Floyd decked. This will most likely happen but I want to retain the standard neck/string/bridge height so that may require it to be partially recessed.

I considered moving the bridge a bit to help with the neck fitting but I really do not want to change the feel of the bridge position. The problem with this is that the 24 fret AANJ neck I have will sit further in the pocket which will require modification of the body heal and screw locations to match up with the neck. I will need to look at this closely before commiting.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

By the way the stipper I used was Klean-Strip Premium Color Change Stripper. This stuff is very low odor and doing this is my attached garage with only an outside standard door open (not the big garage doors as it was rain to hard) the odor was almost not existent. My wife normally complains when I use any chemicals in the garage because of the smell in the house and she did not even notice. The stuff cost about $30/gallon which is about $10 more then the regular stuff that will kill and any mice you may have in your garage. I do not have any mice and my wife can be a b...., well, let's just say a really nice person, so the low odor was worth the $$. I only really need a respirator when cleaning the bucket with all the scrapped junk.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 PM

I like threads like this, added to my follow list.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Sharktooth? It is either this or a big change to the neck pocket sculpting. Working on the neck pocket now.

Last edited by fly_with_v; 12-05-2012 at 05:07 PM.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

The 24 fret neck means that the neck will be located about 20mm into the normal 22 fret body.

Usin the indo neck that I had planned on using means the body heal would need to be shaved to match. In some ways I think this could be a very cool idea and allow for even more improved access to the frets.

If I use a 2008 RG770 reissue neck I could just re-sculp the neck.

Decsion, decisions.

Pics soon.

Tags
saber evh ibanez project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode