Help me put my 540S under the knife! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Help me put my 540S under the knife!

Esteemed Ibanez Mod Gods,

Back in 1993/94, my dear grandmother, before she passed, when upon hearing that I had joined the HS jazz band, offered to buy me a guitar. Well, at the store, they wouldn't even let me touch Les Paul Black Beauty with gold hardware that I wanted. So, I ended up with my second choice - which was I beleive an Ibanez 90-94 "custom shop" 540S.

Sorry, I can't post a link or pic - this is my first post.

Pretty sweet guitar, except it developed a nasty buzz around the 1st fret. Plus, the switch and knobs are noisy/scatchy. I took it to a "tech," cus I was too dumb to know otherwise and he shimmed the nut with a little metal strip, but that created about a 1-2mm is a gap between the nut and the fret board. I ended up selling it to my buddy, with a buy-back clause, in 2001. Even then, I was mostly playing my Gibson Explorer and neglecting the Ibanez.

Well, now its mine again, and I'm ready to fix it up. I think I'll name her Jewel, because of her iridescent-purple look and she's precious.

I feel like I can do the work myself if I can find the right instructions. I've never modded a guitar, so I could use some pointers (gotchas, pitfalls).

This is what I'm thinking:
  • Neck: Humbucker From Hell (DP156)
  • Middle: Fender 099-3115-002 Single N3 Noiseless Strat Middle Pickup
  • Bridge: Super Distortion (DP100)
    • I might consider the John Petrucci Crunch Lab DP228 if someone can recommend it over the DP100 (for my style, see below).
  • Electronics:
    • 5-Position Strat®/Tele® "Super Switch" (they say is good for a 4-conductor pickup, which the DP100 is)
    • DiMarzio 500K Custom Taper Split Shaft Pots and/or Dimarzio 500K Push-Pull Pot (I'll explain below)
    • I'd like recommenations concerning wiring, capaciters, shielding, etc.
There is a little too much buzz around the 1st fret, 5th string. The nut is sitting on a small metal shim - if I remove it, it will surely buzz worse. The sitar sound is cool for a while, but starts getting old!

I'm thinking of buying a little Floyd nut shim adjustment package and replacing the crap that's in there. Maybe a shim that actually fits, is all that's needed...

Is it possible to get a custom a locking bone nut? I'd love to hear other suggestions.

My first thought was using Seymore Duncan Pearly Gates/Screamin Demon in the neck/bridge, but I might try the Dimarzio's (cus they are cheaper and lots of Ibanez dudes swear by them). But I'll probably save the Duncans for my Gibsons. I don't know, what do you think?

My style ranges from Flamenco, to Jazz, to Metal - Influences ranging from Paco de Lucia, Stunz & Farah, to Slayer, Metallica, Pantera. I'm trying to create a Flamenco/Metal style, perhaps Metalenco, but definetly not Flametal cus that sounds poofy!

Serious though, my style is kinda thrash metal with flavor, I like the textured tight and articulate distorted but sweet sounding chords Opeth gets. I get pretty close to that with my '78 Gibson ES-335 => Boss Chorus Ensemble => Tonebone Hot British distortion => MXR EQ => into a '76 Fender Twin.

I'd like my Ibanez to get nice texture and articulation in the upper mids/highs but more ballsy when chunking on those power chords, or pull a coil-tap and get a spanky-bluesy-chiming sound, using this same rig.

Speaking of coil-tapping. I think the stock setup for each position in the 5-way switch is:
  1. Neck humbucker
  2. Neck coil-tapped
  3. Middle Single Coil
  4. Bridge coil-tapped
  5. Bridge humbucker
But I would like to have the tone knob pull out to coil tap both humbuckers and have the switch operate as:
  1. Neck humbucker (tapped or not)
  2. Neck/Middle combo
  3. Middle single coil
  4. Middle/Bridge combo
  5. Bridge Humbucker (tapped or not)
Is this possible with the hardware line-up I listed? Does anyone know of a guide I can follow?

So what do you think? Was I an idiot/jerk for almost parting with such an awesome gift from my dear grandmother? What should I do with this axe?

I'm thinking all white pickups with a white switch tip would be pretty striking, but black would be awesome too. Also, as I understand it, with the Floyd Rose, I should go with F-spaced pickups (or trem-spacing for Duncans).

I look forward to the pearls of wisdom - even the flames of wrath from you - deities of the 6-string - exaltations of Hoshino Gakki! Even from those who swear by those crappy Asian 5-way switches that look like a they belong in a dang toaster! Bring it on!

Thanks a lot - Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
540s , s540 , sabre

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode