Help me rebuild 550 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Help me rebuild 550

Hey all - I need some help. I am going to replace all the electronics in this 550 I picked up, but I need some help. Do I get 500K pots? It's going to have two humbuckers, and I bought the X2N for the bridge, still deciding on the neck. Thinking Evo or something but primary use for this guitar is metal and lots of leads and harmonics. Any help there is welcomed and appreciated.

I guess the most help I need is figuring out how to wire it - should I bother trying to enable splitting the X2N? How do I set up the switch since there will be no single coil? Would like to probably have the ability to split the neck pickup and definitely use both pickups at once. Was considering two volume knobs instead of having a tone as well... any thoughts are fully welcomed and appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 05:34 PM

Re: Help me rebuild 550

Hey there... Check this site out, it has helped me twice with wiring questions. Click on the "two pickup" diagram archive... then scroll down until you see the type of diagram you want. Like "2 Humbucker, 1-volume, 1-tone, 5-way switch"... with or without coil tapping, etc. There are some good diagrams on there.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/cat...ring_diagrams/

I think you are right on the pot values... 500k is typical for passive pickups.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! How's the guitar?
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Hey there... Check this site out, it has helped me twice with wiring questions. Click on the "two pickup" diagram archive... then scroll down until you see the type of diagram you want. Like "2 Humbucker, 1-volume, 1-tone, 5-way switch"... with or without coil tapping, etc. There are some good diagrams on there.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/cat...ring_diagrams/

I think you are right on the pot values... 500k is typical for passive pickups.
500k is typical for passive humbuckers. Single coil users tend to use 250k, and Active sets tend to come with 25k.

You can use higher values though - at least with passives, not sure about active - you'll just get more high frequencies. 1meg pots make a guitar very bright indeed.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan View Post
Thanks! How's the guitar?
Awesome! Love it!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 07:57 PM

Yeah my Jem has 500k and my RG's have 550k pots
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 12:29 AM

Reviews: 2

You can use any pot value that you like. The lower value you use- the lower amount of high frequencies will pass through. It's all up to your ear and what you want from your tone.

You will not be able to use the original switch that came with your 550 in an H-H situation. You will want to use the 2502N/SC5 switch and use this diagram to wire it correctly:

http://www.ibanez.com/supportResourc...07/RG2620E.pdf
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Thank you far that good info on the switch - that's the kind of stuff I need... still trying to figure out which neck pickup to buy. Lead tones with lots of harmonics would be ideal...
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Thank you far that good info on the switch - that's the kind of stuff I need... still trying to figure out which neck pickup to buy. Lead tones with lots of harmonics would be ideal...
No problem man.....

FRED in the neck is incredible- nothing more to say.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Again I thank you! That's been a tough research item... lots of different opinions, but I have seen Fred mentioned more than once. Appreciate it
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

I went with the Fred in the neck. Too many people said it was awesome.

Now I need to figure out exactly how to wire it, and which pots and switch to buy as well. What resistors do I need? What combinations do I want? I def want both pickups at once as an option (and is it series I want, or parallel???)

RGT - I may go with your suggestion yet with the 2502N switch, as it seems simple enough. However if the DiMarzio guys get back to me with myriad options with another combination, I may try something a little more crazy... thanks again for your help!

I will post pics of my $155 RG550 soon with it's $200 worth of resto items! ha ha...
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 02:52 PM

Good to hear man.... the Fred will mate with the X2N well enough.

FWIW, I strictly use 250k pots anymore. They do a great job of smoothing out the very high end frequencies without hurting the mids or high-mids.

Of course the type of switching you finally decide on will determine which switch and pots to get. For me- simple is best. With an H-H combo I use a simple 3-way blade switch and a push/pull DPDT to split both hums. This gives me 6 different settings in all.......
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, that may be the best way to go... DiMarzio was not really a help.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks, that may be the best way to go... DiMarzio was not really a help.
They usually aren't. Every time I've called them the "tech" spoke to me as if I was annoying him- like my questions were somehow less valid than anyone else's.

This is the diagram I use for H-H guitars........ I use a separate DPDT switch, but the push/pull pot in this diagram does the exact same thing......

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for this - it's a good option. But wth is North Start, North Finish, etc.?!?! I need colors! No, this is good, thank you. It's the kind of stuff I am asking about. I can solder and follow directions, I just need help getting started...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode