Help me remember my old Ibanez RG - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Help me remember my old Ibanez RG

Years ago I had a really nice Ibanez RG - I think it was a 550 and I seem to recall it was between 1987-1989 vintage and I bought it new.

It was Ibanez's version of Burgundy Mist (light, almost pink metallic) - with a white pickguard and a 24 fret maple neck with maple fingerboard. It had standard black dot fret markers - not sharkfin inlays as many have now. It had a Floyd trem and as I recall was HSH configuration (or maybe HSS or just HH). The headstock was painted black and all the tuners/trem, knobs were black as well if memory serves.

Anyway, I sold it to my neighbor's son who was in his church's band at the time and haven't seen it since - he's now grown and moved away and I keep meaning to ask my neighbor when I see her if she knows if he still has it and if he'd ever consider selling it back to me.

I've been looking on ebay and reverb etc for one like it and have never seen another one for sale.

Any ideas on what it was I had? I really miss that guitar and wish I'd have never sold it and would kinda like to get another one like it.

Thanks.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 07:38 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: Help me remember my old Ibanez RG

Sounds like you had a 550. I would try get it back. He probably doesn't even play it anymore. It may even be locked away in your neighbour's attic with rusty strings just begging to be free again....the Anne Frank of the Ibanez world, so it may be worth asking your neighbour, they're probably tired tripping over it every December when they go to get their Xmas decorations.

I love dots, they just look like guitars should, shark fins just don't grab me so much. Let us know if you're re-united with your old axe and take some photos. If it has kept a diary over the years, get a good lawyer and publisher, because you're in the money.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 08:15 PM

heather pearl...one in the link below isn't mine btw...d.m.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...7_RG550_HP.jpg
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

That's it exactly. Man I miss that guitar. Thanks for posting that pic!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 08:43 PM

hopefully knowing the color may help you find one...my pleasure...d.m.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Yes it will. Been looking for my neighbor too - my wife told me to stop stalking them!

Thank you again!

Bill
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 10:05 PM

Reviews: 2

Good luck Bill.... Heather Pearl is a hard color to find. I got VERY lucky to have two HP 760's........... and I'd only have one if it weren't for Takin' a Ride
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 11:20 PM

That's a cool looking RG550 TC. You might consider putting a WTB ad up here on Jemsite.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

I ran into my neighbor this morning as I was walking my kids to school. Asked her if she knew if her son still had it - she was unsure but was very nice and said she'd txt him to see if he did and if he'd consider selling it back to me. He moved to another state but does come home to visit her several times a year. I told her even if he didn't want to sell now to please keep me in mind if he ever decides to.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 07:59 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK01 View Post
Thanks guys.

I ran into my neighbor this morning as I was walking my kids to school. Asked her if she knew if her son still had it - she was unsure but was very nice and said she'd txt him to see if he did and if he'd consider selling it back to me. He moved to another state but does come home to visit her several times a year. I told her even if he didn't want to sell now to please keep me in mind if he ever decides to.
Awwww
I hope you get it back
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

I ran into her yesterday and sadly she said that her son told her he too had sold the guitar and like me also wishes he'd hadn't.

So my search continues. Trying to convince myself a color other than heather pearl will work but I don't think it will.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I ran into her yesterday and sadly she said that her son told her he too had sold the guitar and like me also wishes he'd hadn't.

So my search continues. Trying to convince myself a color other than heather pearl will work but I don't think it will.
I'm sorry man..... keep up the hunt. They show up from time to time. If you think an HP 760 would help ease your pain- let me know and maybe we can work something out.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I'm sorry man..... keep up the hunt. They show up from time to time. If you think an HP 760 would help ease your pain- let me know and maybe we can work something out.

Dude, I would SOOOOOO buy that off you...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks RGT for the very kind offer. It's beautiful and if the one I may have a chance on does not work out I may be contacting you.

I just wish I didn't get this sick feeling in my gut every time I think of my beautiful old RG550 I was stupid enough to sell all those years ago - so I'm going to try my darnedest to find another like it since I'll likely never find the exact one again.

My wife thinks I'm insane.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks RGT for the very kind offer. It's beautiful and if the one I may have a chance on does not work out I may be contacting you.

I just wish I didn't get this sick feeling in my gut every time I think of my beautiful old RG550 I was stupid enough to sell all those years ago - so I'm going to try my darnedest to find another like it since I'll likely never find the exact one again.

My wife thinks I'm insane.
LOL... your wife is probably right....... we all are!!!

Like I said in PM's- I get it...... there are some guitars that we let go of that we regret forever. If only we knew it would be a problem before selling them. This may be a big part of the reason that I hoard the guitars that I do. None of them are high dollar case queens, I'm just afraid of going through sellers remorse again.

Anyway, I'm not actively selling the 760HP. If the times comes that you give up the search for your 550...... I'll have this one as a "consolation" here for 'ya.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode