Help needed - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Help needed

Seems like the tension from the tremolo pulls left side insert post out from the body for about 1 cm, as you can see on the photos whenever i put a tremolo on the guitar and try to restring it.
doesnt seem like anything is wrong with the hole or the insert, still it cant hold it. right one you can not pull out with a real force. so whats different???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 09:14 AM

Re: Help needed

Sometimes inserts loosed up over time on old guitars. My suggestion would be to re-seat the insert and then use thin super glue to lock it back in place. Thin super glue will penetrate down around the sides of the insert and should create a good bond. I like this stuff:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Glues,_a...uper_Glue.html
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, didnt know it happens. all of my Ibanez guitars are 20+ , but never noticed it.
i got some of the JB Weldt stuff left. maybe it could do the job too,hm?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 10:26 AM

Super Glue or even regular yellow wood glue will work just fine. I would not suggest JB weld.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 11:04 AM

Reviews: 2

Takin' is right on the money again!!!!

Sometimes (especially if the locking screw is not tightened) the wood in front of the insert will soften from the tension put on it by the strings/springs. You can see how the paint is chipped off in front of the insert. This is the evidence that the wood has softened. The hole is now slightly ovaled (egg shaped).

Takin's super glue method is VERY effective if the amount of "oval" is very small. If it's very out of round (can't see the affected area in your first pic) another repair method will be needed. It's still a simple fix, just different.

Ayrton is also right.... DO NOT use JB weld. It will be impossibe to "fill" the affected area completely. You'll end up with a rock hard ball of JB weld at the top of the anchor that would then put even more tension on softened wood...... It WILL make the problem worse, not better.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 11:10 AM

Reviews: 2

BTW Toca... is that an FGM100??? Awesome guitar man!!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 09:53 AM

Had the same problem on my RG. Wood glue did the trick for me.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 12:05 PM

As others have said, either wood glue (most people recommend Original Titebond) of super glue should work. There are three reasons I recommended super glue:

1. You're bonding wood to metal. Wood glue is meant to bond wood to wood.

2. Wood glue is very thick and I question its effectiveness here. You'd have to coat the insert with a thin amount of glue and then hope that it squeezes out the top when you insert it. There's always a chance that glue gets trapped below the insert, which would make it impossible to seat completely.

3. Thin super glue has a natural tendency to wick into even the tiniest cracks, making it ideal for repairs like this.

When I work on guitars, I consider it basically standard practice to hit the edges of the neck pocket with super glue, either to fill existing pocket cracks or try and prevent them. I've also used it to fix some small stress cracks in a neck at the nut bolts and it worked great there as well.

Tags
edge , insert posts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode