Help Needed abt Fretboard radius - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Help Needed abt Fretboard radius

Hii Guys am frm India i have 2Electric Guitars 1s Custom made Joe Satriani 1200 Series and another 1s Custom made Jackson Dinky Both Guitars r 2Way FloydRose System with Rosewood Fingerboard.I plays Hard Rock and Metal and Instrumental Rock like Joe Satriani wen i play Chord s and Riff s i feel comfortable.. if i Start playing Solo s am finding difficulty to play bcoz of ma Fret Spacing an Fingerboard Radius. i use lot of Legatos,string bending,Sweep pickings,Dive bomb technique... i ve Know idea abt dis Fretboard Radius .. now am planing to Change ma Both Guitar Neck s an Fingerboard i badly Need some Professional Help .. 1of ma Frnd told me to put Ebony Fingerboard...
What s compound radius neck ???
Which s the Best Radius For me ???
Which 1 s best Rosewood or Ebony ??? im all confused plz Some 1 Help me with Good Description .. as soon as possible

Thank s in adv Cheers \m/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Help Needed abt Fretboard radius

A compund radius neck is one that has two diferent radiuses--one towards the nut, and the other towards the heel. A common compund radius id 10" at the nut and 16" at the heel.
What is the best radius for you? How are we supposed to know? You are the only one that can decide that--what feels good to you.
As far as rosewood vs. ebony, ebony is classier, denser, and more expensive. More of the higher end guitars use ebony instead of rosewood. There's nothing wrong with rosewood, but ebony is just a better fingerboard wood.
You can find answers to all of these questions, except "Which is the best radius for me?" by doing a little research. Do a Google search for comound radius fingerboards, and you'll get a bunch of results.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Thank s lot For ur Reply bro ... but here in India "Chennai" der s No Readymade Radius Guitar s Avliable ... 1ly option s Custom make tat s y am asking what Radius ll Suite s for 2way Floyd Rose System ?
can v do 10" to 16" Compound Radius on 2way Floyd Rose System Guitar ??? wat all de Advantage s of Radius Fingerboard ?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Banned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fingerboard
http://www.ratcliffe.co.za/articles/radius.shtml

Again--your best resource is Google. You will see the technical aspects, pictures, and much more than one or two opinions of folks who have different tastes and requirements than you.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 09:19 PM

Dude you have triple posted this thread in 3 sub forums.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 09:43 PM

Reviews: 11

you arent going to be able to convert a normal radius guitar to a compound radius.

js necks are NOT compound radius, they are multi radius. the BACK of the neck is what changes profile, not the top.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 12:57 AM

Reviews: 2

Ebony is NOT a better fretboard wood than Rosewood.

I personally prefer Ebony but to say it's better is just silly. It's smoother so many find it faster to play on, but that just means they are using flawed technique as you shouldn't really ever actually touch your fretboard anyways.

What it does do is give you a sharper attack and a brighter sound. If that's what you want, than it's better. If you want the warmer sound and blooming attack of Rosewood than Ebony is your enemy. There is no such thing as good or bad tone.

A compound radius (as mention) is simply a neck that has a different radius at the nut than it does at the end of the neck. Typically it gradually switches between them.

The advantage supposedly is:

It's easier to play barre chords on a more curved neck and it's easier to bend on a less curved neck. Combining the two makes it easier to do both.

Of course this falls apart if you play chords up high or bend down low. Since I do both I find the entire concept useless and just go for a flat neck which makes the harder techniques easier.

I highly doubt you find it hard to solo because of fret spacing (as you never even mentioned scale length) or fretboard radius. You likely, bluntly put, just aren't very good and need to practice more.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 02:18 AM
Banned

Arguing about preferences is even sillier! I likeebony better and find it better, some prefer maple--apples and oranges. You can feel free to voice your opinion just like the rest of us, but if you want to start the personal attacks--you can just move along. The OP never asked about technique, either--so starting in with your, "flawed" BS is not cool, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeHappy View Post
Ebony is NOT a better fretboard wood than Rosewood.

I personally prefer Ebony but to say it's better is just silly. It's smoother so many find it faster to play on, but that just means they are using flawed technique as you shouldn't really ever actually touch your fretboard anyways.

What it does do is give you a sharper attack and a brighter sound. If that's what you want, than it's better. If you want the warmer sound and blooming attack of Rosewood than Ebony is your enemy. There is no such thing as good or bad tone.

A compound radius (as mention) is simply a neck that has a different radius at the nut than it does at the end of the neck. Typically it gradually switches between them.

The advantage supposedly is:

It's easier to play barre chords on a more curved neck and it's easier to bend on a less curved neck. Combining the two makes it easier to do both.

Of course this falls apart if you play chords up high or bend down low. Since I do both I find the entire concept useless and just go for a flat neck which makes the harder techniques easier.

I highly doubt you find it hard to solo because of fret spacing (as you never even mentioned scale length) or fretboard radius. You likely, bluntly put, just aren't very good and need to practice more.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Thank s lot Guys now i got it "@AlaskaBat Spl thank s to You I think Ebony s good for me ... Give me some Scale Length and FretBoard Radius suggestion so tat i ll try it and finalise \m/
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 05:51 AM
Banned

The 10 and 16 compound radius is pretty common, and I think you can get those boards from Stewmac.com and warmoth.com
Just checked StewMac and they have the 10"/14.5" compound boards:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_...l?renamed=true

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Arguing about preferences is even sillier!
You realise that that is pretty much what I was saying right?(or at least what I was trying to say! Apparently I failed) Just because you (and Me, and a bunch of people) prefer it doesn't make it better.

And what personal attack did I make on you? I respect the hell out you! You constantly post both useful and helpful information!

Scale length recommendation:
What tuning do you like playing in? If it's standard tuning than 25.5 will likely be fine.

Radius:
The flatter the better for me. 16"+ makes me pretty happy.

Last edited by AxeHappy; 04-07-2011 at 11:11 AM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Banned

Cool Re: Help Needed abt Fretboard radius

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeHappy View Post
You realise that that is pretty much what I was saying right?(or at least what I was trying to say! Apparently I failed) Just because you (and Me, and a bunch of people) prefer it doesn't make it better.

And what personal attack did I make on you? I respect the hell out you! You constantly post both useful and helpful information!

Scale length recommendation:
What tuning do you like playing in? If it's standard tuning than 25.5 will likely be fine.

Radius:
The flatter the better for me. 16"+ makes me pretty happy.
I'm sowwy! A pissy mood had me reading your reply differently than what you apparently meant. I guess I should have worded my original reply to say, "I prefer ebony" and not, "ebony is better." --apples and oranges. I like maple on some guitars, rosewood on others, and ebony best.

Oh--for everyone else here: move along, nothing to see--just two cousins arguing at the kiddie table. Pass the pie, please...

Last edited by AlaskaBat; 04-07-2011 at 12:59 PM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 01:16 PM

No worries!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 04:22 PM

Yeah dude you came off like it was a fact that ebony is a better fingerboard wood. But like you said it's just preference. Personally I have Ebony, rosewood and maple boards and I like each for different things. I wouldn't want rosewood on my Strat, but I wouldn't want Ebony on my PRS's. Certain things just work on certain guitars and for certain tones.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 07:06 PM

I have all 3 too. Although when they new bass shows up it'll be 4 Rosewood boards to 1 Ebony and 1 Maple.

I do prefer the Ebony even though it's on my least favourite guitar. Haha. I find the extra snap allows me to relax even more and maintain the same level of pick articulation, allowing to play faster with less stress on my joints.

Plus I like the way it looks better! Haha.

Tags
jackson dinkey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode