Help needed! Will a RG220 neck fit a RG550? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: los angeles
Posts: 4
Help needed! Will a RG220 neck fit a RG550?

Hi Folks,

My first post and hopefully you can help.

I bought a used RG550. I took it to a "tech" for a set up and he beveled the frets edges, rendering the guitar almost unplayable. Certainly not the way an RG550 famously plays. I'm just sick over this.

It will cost at least $300 to refret. (It's a maple fingerboard). I found a RG220 neck for sale. I'm hoping it can be a quick fix while I get funds together to refret the original neck.

Will this RG220 neck fit on my RG550 body correctly? Any insight is most appreciated.

Thanks!
iama is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 07:17 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 9,247
Reviews: 120
Re: Help needed! Will a RG220 neck fit a RG550?

It should fit, probably need to fill the screw holes in the neck and redrill to match the body.

If the tech stuffed your neck, you should be getting them to pay to fix your guitar. Good luck.
LonePhantom is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 07:41 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: edison nj 08817
Posts: 612
Re: Help needed! Will a RG220 neck fit a RG550?

i agree if a tech screwed it up why not he or them fix it....the whole idea about the 550 is the wizard neck..for most of us.a 270 is no wizard by far..think about it..
pink13 is offline  
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,291
Reviews: 98
Re: Help needed! Will a RG220 neck fit a RG550?

Also,make sure to check that the 220 neck has the same heel that the body does. You don't want to get an AANJ neck for a square heel body. I agree with LP--if the texh screwed up yourneck--they should be the ones responsible, not you.



AlaskaBat is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: los angeles
Posts: 4
Re: Help needed! Will a RG220 neck fit a RG550?

Thanks to everyone responding to my plight.

I mentioned I bought the guitar; technically it was a gift from my best friend. He bought it from someone down on his luck for next to nothing. He gave it to me and I reimbursed him for his outlay. (I should have been more gracious about accepting his gift.) That's why it pains me.

It was pretty out of whack. I spent the better part of the night getting it back to playability. It was almost there; I just wanted to have a tech check the truss rod and set the intonation.

My mistake: I went cheap.

This tech is a person I found on Facebook. I checked him out as best I could. He works out of his tiny apartment. It was a cheap setup - those usually end up costing the most. He feels it plays right. He got loud and rude. I realized there would be no use arguing with him. He doesn't have two nickles to rub together.

He ground down the fret edges, making it difficult to bend strings. It's non-reversible. It will cost around $300+ to refret it.

I couldn't agree more he should make it right. I was open to working toward that. I was respectful, didn't raise my voice. He's just an a-hole. The old saying is true: Never wrestle with a pig. You'll only get dirty and the pig likes it.

Hopefully this can be a quick fix until I get the funds together to properly fix the neck. It's an 1989 Japanese model and should have the correct neck.

Again, thanks very much for your helpful input. Fingers crossed.
iama is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 10:56 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 116
Reviews: 1
Re: Help needed! Will a RG220 neck fit a RG550?

why would even consider doing this?

You can grab 550 necks off of FleaBay for under $200
RI_RGplayer is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: los angeles
Posts: 4
Re: Help needed! Will a RG220 neck fit a RG550?

I'm buying the 220 neck for $30. At that price, I'll roll the dice. It's a cheap fix. I'd like to get its proper neck fixed and back on the guitar where it belongs. I'll need to get the $ together but in the meantime, maybe this will work.
iama is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:16 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 9,247
Reviews: 120
Re: Help needed! Will a RG220 neck fit a RG550?

Ah 220 neck will be no good for an 89 550. That guitar has a square heel, the 220 will be AANJ.

You are just going to have to save up I'm afraid. Maybe just save up for a 550 square heel neck.
LonePhantom is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 06:57 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Staunton, VA
Posts: 204
Re: Help needed! Will a RG220 neck fit a RG550?

Man prices are high in California. A full refret around here is running about $175.
gideond is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 07:25 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South of Heaven
Posts: 59
Re: Help needed! Will a RG220 neck fit a RG550?

Yea dude, i got my 550 for $250. Not in perfect condition, but it definitely lives up to what i expected. Just shop around for another one, or you can find the neck for about $200 on the bay. Worse case scenario is you can part it out and sell the Edge for like 250-200 on the bay. you could also try removing the frets and selling the fretless neck on the bay as well.

Good luck man!
ImitationSHREDder is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 07:36 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: amman
Posts: 107
Re: Help needed! Will a RG220 neck fit a RG550?

I'd try re fretting it myself.
iced_ink is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,291
Reviews: 98
Re: Help needed! Will a RG220 neck fit a RG550?

He's spend more money on tools for a DIY refret than a new neck. Plus, it's not a job that he'll want to learn on a 550 neck.



AlaskaBat is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 10:31 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: amman
Posts: 107
Re: Help needed! Will a RG220 neck fit a RG550?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
He's spend more money on tools for a DIY refret than a new neck. Plus, it's not a job that he'll want to learn on a 550 neck.
You're right. But when you learn how to do these things, you're gonna save a lot in the long run.

Anyways, I should have said- If he's gonna sell that neck to me, I'd re fret it myself.LOL
iced_ink is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 02:29 AM
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 2,561
Reviews: 34
Re: Help needed! Will a RG220 neck fit a RG550?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iama View Post
Thanks to everyone responding to my plight.

I mentioned I bought the guitar; technically it was a gift from my best friend. He bought it from someone down on his luck for next to nothing. He gave it to me and I reimbursed him for his outlay. (I should have been more gracious about accepting his gift.) That's why it pains me.

It was pretty out of whack. I spent the better part of the night getting it back to playability. It was almost there; I just wanted to have a tech check the truss rod and set the intonation.

My mistake: I went cheap.

This tech is a person I found on Facebook. I checked him out as best I could. He works out of his tiny apartment. It was a cheap setup - those usually end up costing the most. He feels it plays right. He got loud and rude. I realized there would be no use arguing with him. He doesn't have two nickles to rub together.

He ground down the fret edges, making it difficult to bend strings. It's non-reversible. It will cost around $300+ to refret it.

I couldn't agree more he should make it right. I was open to working toward that. I was respectful, didn't raise my voice. He's just an a-hole. The old saying is true: Never wrestle with a pig. You'll only get dirty and the pig likes it.

Hopefully this can be a quick fix until I get the funds together to properly fix the neck. It's an 1989 Japanese model and should have the correct neck.

Again, thanks very much for your helpful input. Fingers crossed.
Is this your only guitar?

Have you taken it to a decent luthier and had them look at it? It might be that a very good tech can rescue that for less $, and it would also give you a bit more of an argument with the original guy if another pro is saying it hasn't been done right. Especially if you didn't ask him to do it in the first place.

I know you say that bloke has no money, but you are wrong. He has your money. In my view he is the wrong person to be having that.
nickcoumbe is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: los angeles
Posts: 4
Re: Help needed! Will a RG220 neck fit a RG550?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post
Is this your only guitar?

Have you taken it to a decent luthier and had them look at it? It might be that a very good tech can rescue that for less $, and it would also give you a bit more of an argument with the original guy if another pro is saying it hasn't been done right. Especially if you didn't ask him to do it in the first place.

I know you say that bloke has no money, but you are wrong. He has your money. In my view he is the wrong person to be having that.
Thanks for your perspective. I just put it into the closet for now. I'll ramp up to make it whole.

Fortunately, it's not my only guitar, I have many. That would have been a whole other story that would have ended badly.

There is nothing to be gained by pursuing this fool. Reality: I'm the aggrieved party. He can't make it right. He's broke. I wouldn't accept a fret job from him if he were to offer it - I've experienced his work. I'd be a bigger fool to let him have another shot at me. Knowing my temper, it's best for me to keep him in my past.

Yes, it's my money but those two twenties are the least of it. The problem of dealing with bottom feeders is you run the risk of becoming one yourself. I've posted my negative experience review on his Facebook page and on Yelp. There is no recourse to be gotten. I wish there was.

I never had the opportunity to even play it as I was putting it into playing condition. Yes, it completely sucks.

Thanks again to all here.
iama is offline  
Reply

Tags
ibanez neck , refret , repair , rg220 , rg550

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Appraisal needed on RG550 Jubeju All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 37 07-09-2011 03:48 PM
Ibanez rg550 help needed! tokonju All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 9 09-19-2009 02:34 PM
Problems with my RG550...help needed... Megadeth7684 All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 38 01-05-2007 03:40 PM
Ideas Needed For Customizing RG550 aftrshok All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 3 08-11-2004 06:10 PM
rg550 wiring diagram needed woodros Pickups & wiring 1 12-26-2002 06:22 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome