Help picking out my first Ibanez! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Help picking out my first Ibanez!

Help picking out my first Ibanez!

Hey all,

I'm a long time guitar player-- started with electric in 1987 at the age of 13.

I've been through an enormous number and brands of guitars: Les Paul Studio, Carvins x 4, Jackson Dinky, Tele, Strats x 3, custom made 7 string Strat from Rice Guitars, Soloway, and on and on.

But no matter WHAT guitar I have played, I have always felt something was lacking.

Currently, I am playing a modded American Strat, with an Evertune Bridge and an EMG David Gilmour pickup set.

But even though the TONE is fantastic, I miss 24 frets! I miss having a locking trem for staying in tune and getting subtle vibrato. I miss having the low B string for extended chord voicings and heavier rhythm playing.

Getting to the point:

I recently watched a vid of a guitarist named Marshall Harrison. I was amazed to discover his musical tastes and desire to play the guitar efficiently/economically match my philosophy EXACTLY. I aspire to achieve his level of technique one day.
Well, someone asked him his opinion on what guitar to buy, and how to approach guitar as a novice. He replied, "You know, so many guys obsess over gear after only playing a short time. Just buy whatever gear your favorite guitarist uses (if you can). And then move on from there. I loved Paul Gilbert and so I tried to get the same gear as he had."

Well guess what: despite playing for 30 years now, I have NEVER owned an Ibanez!

My first big influence was Yngwie, so naturally I got a Strat. But I have never really felt COMFORTABLE playing a Strat. I prefer a flatter radius. Having 22 frets limits playing extended arpeggios and scales... Vintage trems suck at staying in tune (compared to Floyd Roses).

So I'm here now, FINALLY looking into getting an Ibanez! I think it will fit my playing style much better, and someone who plays the style I am pursuing (Marshall Harrison,) used Ibanez guitars forever until he could afford to buy Custom built guitars.

So now I'd like to ask-- What Ibanez models would you guys recommend to me that would satisfy these desires:
1. Has a trem that stays in tune (not whammying the heck out of it, just typical light vibrato)
2. Has the flattest possible radius
3. Does NOT have extra jumbo frets (medium jumbo preferred, or regular jumbo)
4. Preferably a 7 string!
5. Preferably has a maple fretboard
6. Costs $1,000 or less, but the cheaper the better!

Thank you everyone for your time. I know next to nothing about Ibanez guitars, so I'd appreciate any PERSONAL experience you all have! I could simply google a bunch of Ibanez guitars, but it's not the same as hearing from those of you who have played them and love them.

For those who are curious, here's a video of Marshall Harrison playing:

Thanks again for any Ibanez model suggestions you guys have!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 01:54 AM
Vendor

Re: Help picking out my first Ibanez!

The maple fretboard would really narrow your options in a Japanese built 7 string double locker. The RG1527M, as tough a sale as they were when new it's one of the ones many are trying to buy now. The current RG762AHM is possible if you can find one used, your budget limit is an issue with maple.

If rosewood you have several options thru the years.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 01:11 PM

I own a 1527 and love it. Great instrument. Mine is not the maple fretboard, however.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Rich so much for the info!

Tags
7 string

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode