Help with replacement pickups on USRG30. Anyone done this? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Help with replacement pickups on USRG30. Anyone done this?

Hey guys,

I am seriously considering snagging a USRG30 soon and was wondering if anyone has replaced the Tone Zone and PAF Pro with something else and gotten good results. I am looking for that "Images and Words" sort of Petrucci tone through my TriAxis. I do NOT like the JPM models of guitars, so that's why I am leaning towards the USRG30 or the RGT3120 on a suggestion from others.

Here are the following combos I am considering in this guitar:

Al DiMeola (Neck)
Megadrive (Bridge)

Air Norton (Neck)
Steve's Special (Bridge)

Humbucker From Hell (neck)
Tone Zone (bridge) - i.e. leave the stock one in

NOTE: I haven't played a USRG30 yet, nor an RGT3120, so I don't know what the stock pickups sound like in these guitars. I know that I have a TZ/PAF Pro setup in an alder Fender HM Strat that I have and it seems that the TZ is a tad bass-heavy for that guitar. Any thoughts on these combos?

Thanks,
Jeff in Houston
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 08:55 PM

The RGT3120 does have the ultra neck which is actually a little thicker than the old JPM viper neck, if you dont like the jpm neck you might want to stay away from the rgt. I personally love the ultra neck but I say that if you want a thinner neck go with the RG3120 or USRG30. I have owned both and despite the dimensions printed for the usrg30 and 3120 the necks feels extemely similar. For pickups you might want to try a Norton in the bridge(not air norton) and a paf pro or Air norton for the neck.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 09:35 PM

i would go air norton(neck) and tone zone(bridge). that is what i am going to put into my new RGT3120(actually an air norton and air zone). petrucci used both these pickups at different times. for day and dream and images and words, he used the humbucker from hell and the tone zone, from awake to his deal with EB/MM, he had the air norton and steve's special. i personally have used them all except the steve's special, but i personally love the tone zone. i also love petrucci's clean tones and neck pickup tones in his lead work and have played on an air norton before i ever bought one. to me it is near perfect. the humbucker from hell is what it claims to be:a single coil sound in a humbucker space. i had it stock in a pgm500 and it was very very single coil voiced. i liked it for a single coil sound, but i have strat's for that. the air norton is fat, but if you want sometinh not as fat and agressive as the air norton, the fred is a great pickup, too. right between where your stock paf pro and air norton are. i have a fred in an rg550 and an evolution in the bridge. both complement each other amazingly well. the fred is not as fat as the air norton, but has a nice mid range attack for "cleaner" sweeps and clarity. the norton is a tad muddier, but i like the balls of it better. plus the air norton is smoother. both are really good at dynamics and are really expressive with different types of pick attack. personally, though, i would just wait and get the axe, play it, then decide if you really want to swap pickups.

rich

Tags
air norton , clean tone , jpm neck , neck pickup , neck pickup tone , paf pro , tone zone , viper neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode