help! rg350 strings popping out of saddles.. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

help! rg350 strings popping out of saddles..

I've had my rg350 with the Edge II ZPS for a year now and I've changed the strings 3 or 4 times.

This latest time I have 2 or 3 strings that are popping out. I've got them locked in, Ernie Ball .10 gage and I'm thinking maybe the saddle T-joint things are either worn or the trem itself is worn on the connections? Its not rocket science to stick the string in and tighten the allen screw and I don't want to start stripping it.

I like the ZPS but the way Ibby handled the strings locking in the tremolo is a very poor design I think. I don't have any problems with my LoPro, Edge, or even the Edge III (not sure why so many hate that one) and like those designs cause they are easier to work with.

has this happened to anyone else? Can I file the connections? not sure what to do.

has anyone tried this:
"All Floyd style saddles suffer from strings popping out (especially the thin ones). There are some tricks you can do to prevent it. First of all, always make sure the string is sitting in the middle of the claw and not to the left or the right hand edge of the hole. Second, folding the end of the string back on itself until the tip is a 'U' shape helps. When you place this in the saddle the saddle block/claw is then making contact with twice as much material and giving more grip. Another trick is to fold the end of the string into an 'L' shape and slide the bottom of the 'L' under the claw/saddle block, if the block design allows for it. This allows the string to be pressed against two surfaces of the block, the vertical section of the 'L' against the front of the block, the horizontal section against the bottom of the block."

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by windycitycane; 04-30-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Re: help! rg350 strings popping out of saddles..

just an update.. I re-strung the strings from the ball joint end and they are staying in the saddles. Basically, I found after some trial and error that the wound area near the ball joint is better suited for locking things in. I've played it a couple of times, staying in tune and the strings sound good.

Tags
zps string change

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode