HELP: RG8527VV tremelo arm installation - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

HELP: RG8527VV tremelo arm installation

hey dudes,

this is my first post and my question may make me look like an idiot but I'll be happy with that as long I as I can get this issue resolved.

I recently purchased a J-Custom RG8527 from Japan and it arrived all fine and dandy.

The only problem is that the tremelo arm doesnt "seem" to want to insert into the trem?? Now I better be clear and state that I havent exactly tried to force the bar into the slot coz I am worried about damaging it. I friend has a UV777 and I've seen him insert his trem bar without putting that much stress on the guitar.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I just push harder?

For those with these trems, the only useful info I can give is that the arm only goes in as far as START (bottom edge) of the first white washer??

I could call the shops tomorrow but I'm just too keen to try it out until the early hours of the morning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 07:43 AM

Re: HELP: RG8527VV tremelo arm installation

Hey dude,

Congratulations on your new guitar. Those 8527's are really sweet. It sounds like the washers on your trem bar are just a little too thick. They usually are when they are brand new, and they wear down pretty fast. Go ahead and apply moderate pressure, just make sure it's going in straight. If it won't go or you're afraid of breaking something, then you can remove the washers and try the extra set that they should have sent with the guitar. Or you can shave them down a little bit with a razor blade or something. Remember you'll probably want it to fit tight so that the bar will stay where you put it.

Good luck and enjoy your new guitar!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 08:07 AM

Talking Re: HELP: RG8527VV tremelo arm installation

p.s. - Welcome to the forum, and we'd like to see pics of your guitar.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent k
p.s. - Welcome to the forum, and we'd like to see pics of your guitar.
Thanks dude,

I guessed some of you guys would wanna see pix

I'm waiting to get a digital camera of a friend. Once I have that, the pix will be up.

Thanks for the help so far.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Tried the spare washers and now it goes half way in. I did put a fair amount of force behind it still and it just doesnt wanna go in.

Well its pretty late at night(early in morning) now. I'll try again tomorrow. I might try the filling idea you mentioned.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 09:12 AM

Those arms can be very sticky going in when they're brand new, like Ken said. They will feel much better about 20 times down the road. You might also want to put a thumb on the bridge when you take the arm back out until you've got those washers broken in also. I pulled the bridge right out of my 7620 the first time I pulled the arm out, and I nearly had a heart attack! I hadn't realized (because it was a used guitar) that the arm had never been used.
Welcome to the forum!
jim
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 09:24 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

these need to be forced in typically the first few times. push STRAIGHT down... glen
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 03:11 PM

" . . . when the gorilla slams it in the hole . . ." I think is how Rich put inserting the trem arm for the first time.

Every time I change bushings I have this problem, it can really be tight but as stated, it will get easier and eventually, TOO easy.

Don't worry about damage, as long as you're careful and apply even pressure you won't do anything 'bad' to it.

But again, as stated above, while it's this tight you'll want to apply some pressure to the bridge while you pull it out. I have seen and heard of people pulling the bridge off of it's posts while trying to get a tight arm out of the slot.

Mic
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 12:51 AM

Had the same problem with my RG 2720 when I first got it, but if you just apply enough pressure it will go in After you've taken it in and out a couple of times the problem is gone

Tags
trem arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode