Help!...Should I Pull the Trigger? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Help!...Should I Pull the Trigger?

Looking for a good metal / rock guitar at a reasonable price. Saw that the RG420 Brown Burst Flat Cinnamon is on sale at MF for $399. Gonna see if GC locally has it tomorrow to see how my fingers like it.

Should I consider or look at something else? Want to stay in the under $700 range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 01:40 AM

Re: Help!...Should I Pull the Trigger?

Hi Surf Monster. Go check it out for sure, your fingers will tell you if the guitar is for you.

My advice though - take the cash and find a used RG550 or RG570, put Dimarzio pickups in it, then pay a luthier to do a pro setup on it. You'll have a killer playing and sounding guitar. You should be able to do all this for under 700.

Have fun!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 11:30 PM

Reviews: 3

2 ways to look at this...1)this is a great deal on a great axe or u can buy a used guitar and hop it up to your taste...but really, if you can buy that axe at that price, DUH !!!
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimarzio562 View Post
Hi Surf Monster. Go check it out for sure, your fingers will tell you if the guitar is for you.

My advice though - take the cash and find a used RG550 or RG570, put Dimarzio pickups in it, then pay a luthier to do a pro setup on it. You'll have a killer playing and sounding guitar. You should be able to do all this for under 700.

Have fun!
Does this apply for the RG505 too? How do they measure up?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

The 505 and 507 (and if you can find one a 527) are very similar to the 550 etc. The main difference is that they have slightly thicker "Wizard 2" necks

I'm a big fan of these guitars as they have the Edge bridge and are great and often overlooked workhorses
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
The 505 and 507 (and if you can find one a 527) are very similar to the 550 etc. The main difference is that they have slightly thicker "Wizard 2" necks

I'm a big fan of these guitars as they have the Edge bridge and are great and often overlooked workhorses
Thanks Jono, that's the conclusion I'd come to from reading around, but it's good to have someone who actually knows about these things give their verdict! Looking at a couple of 505's at the moment and it's tempting.

Appreciate the advice!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

So I am hesitating on the RG420 because of the Edge III trem. Several comments out there that it just won't last long and you will have to end up blocking the trem to have it stay in tune. I had to do that years ago when I owned an S470...trem was one of the purest forms of crap that I have owned. I still have a ~1990 540s with an Edge trem and it is still excellent. So is the trem on the RG420 upgradable if one wanted to do so in the future?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 04:51 PM

Reviews: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf Monster View Post
So is the trem on the RG420 upgradable if one wanted to do so in the future?
An Edge Pro is a simple replacement for the Edge III if you want to swap later on. The Edge III on my RG350 has been given daily abuse for the last 12 months with no signs of deterioration, though. YMMV.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE View Post
An Edge Pro is a simple replacement for the Edge III if you want to swap later on. The Edge III on my RG350 has been given daily abuse for the last 12 months with no signs of deterioration, though. YMMV.
Yeah I'll vouch for the III. It's really not as bad as people make it out to be.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 05:24 PM

Spending $400 on a new RG420 is a waste. I'm sorry to say that, but I just cannot see how it could be justified other than perhaps being totally in love with the finish on that particular guitar.

Used MIJ Ibanez guitars from the late 90s and early 2000s are common and inexpensive because they're under-appreciated. The only reason I think Ibanez can charge $400 for MII guitar is because their target market for these is kids who probably aren't too savvy about the used market, or just don't have the freedom to shop around. They know that they can price the guitar in line with something like a MIM Strat and kids will buy it.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 05:29 PM

Reviews: 3
Question Re: Help!...Should I Pull the Trigger?

what exactly are the issues w/the edge 3 , i have one and can't get it to f/up...holds tune,feels good, as good as my other whammys, including older ibanez floyd style and kahlers. set them up right, and lo and behold...a good bar...jmho
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtldad View Post
what exactly are the issues w/the edge 3 , i have one and can't get it to f/up...holds tune,feels good, as good as my other whammys, including older ibanez floyd style and kahlers. set them up right, and lo and behold...a good bar...jmho
The overall durability of them. Mine died in a month.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTiger View Post
Spending $400 on a new RG420 is a waste. I'm sorry to say that, but I just cannot see how it could be justified other than perhaps being totally in love with the finish on that particular guitar.

Used MIJ Ibanez guitars from the late 90s and early 2000s are common and inexpensive because they're under-appreciated. The only reason I think Ibanez can charge $400 for MII guitar is because their target market for these is kids who probably aren't too savvy about the used market, or just don't have the freedom to shop around. They know that they can price the guitar in line with something like a MIM Strat and kids will buy it.
Giving this alot of thought and I think you are correct. Also played a couple of lower end RG's at GC and while pretty decent, didn't light me up. I don't need another guitar that just doesn't have enough mojo. I have been through my share over the past 10 years. My main axes are Fender American Strat with custom shop pups, and an (amazing) Agile LP2800 that I have upgraded. The 540S that I also have is a cool guitar, but I am not drawn to it as it has somewhat limited versatility. Want to pick something up that fills the gap in the range of vibe that I play, something I can gig with when I do that on occasion, and a good RG is what i am looking for. Can't break the bank though... My search will continue.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Giving this alot of thought and I think you are correct. Also played a couple of lower end RG's at GC and while pretty decent, didn't light me up. I don't need another guitar that just doesn't have enough mojo. I have been through my share over the past 10 years. My main axes are Fender American Strat with custom shop pups, and an (amazing) Agile LP2800 that I have upgraded. The 540S that I also have is a cool guitar, but I am not drawn to it as it has somewhat limited versatility. Want to pick something up that fills the gap in the range of vibe that I play, something I can gig with when I do that on occasion, and a good RG is what i am looking for. Can't break the bank though... My search will continue.
I would tell you to definitely find an old rg550 or similar to it. I just got an 87 550, and it is absolutely astounding. Only paid 400 for it too, and if you can find one for the same price as the MII 420 your looking it, its not even a question in my book.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
You won't regret it, and if you do, you'll probably regret it less than buying that new RG. I walked in my guitar tech's shop a few weeks ago to pickup my Jem and found a nice RG570 hanging from the wall. FujiGen, 2002, Edge trem and original case for $295! I swear he must have bought that just because he knew I couldn't resist.

Long story short, this is my first experience with one of these older Ibanez production guitars prior to when they made Prestige = MIJ and regular production left FujiGen. I'm very impressed with the quality. This guitar could have easily been $500 and I would have still considered it worth buying. If Ibanez guitars were appreciated and as sought after as Fenders, this guitar could probably safely go for more. Compared to my MIA Stratocaster, its equally well-crafted.

Last edited by RedTiger; 03-14-2010 at 10:34 PM.

Tags
rg420

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode