Help,Strange Serial,Is this a beautiful fake - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Question Help,Strange Serial,Is this a beautiful fake

I purchased this guitar without seeing the serial on an auction. I am very familiar with this style and had no problem buying it. It is a fantastic piece. Easy to play, great action, sustain and tone. this is the odd serial I have not been able to figure out. I have not seen that color inlay either. It is green.Your help would be much appreciate. I searched around and hope I am in the right forum.
Serial # KR 051000523
Says made in Korea in the same style as all Ibanez's.
RGT42DXFX (has EMG 81 85 installed, which would have to be an upgrade if this is a 2005)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RGT42BlkGren inlay 002.jpg (80.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg RGT42BlkGren inlay 007.jpg (54.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg RGT42BlkGren inlay 008.jpg (80.7 KB, 35 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 05:17 PM

Re: Help,Strange Serial,Is this a beautiful fake

Why would anyone fake a Korean guitar that's only a few hundred dollars? It's probably legit.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

I was asking for help with the serial.
KR is not a manufacturing code that I know of for any model of Ibanez.
Also there are more numbers, I believe than normal for a serial.
Is there anyone else that would like to try and answer the question asked?

Oh, ya if you can get me 10 of these with the same inlay for 300 apiece with EMG 81-85, I will be glad to pay you that. Of course I want a shipping deal.
I'm not kidding around. I want this to happen. Make my day.

This looked like a great forum and in my first post the first reply I get someone mouthing off
stupid crap, rather than reading the whole post and coming up with something even close to helping with an answer or even being an intelligent answer.

Hope it's not like this all the time. I seem to attract oddballs. I come off as nice and someone thinks the going to get away with being an ass. Not so. Would you be nicer to me if I had a JEM/Universe. I have Prestige models. Can I join your club Jack Secret
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

I did my homework and see (Jack Secret)craps on Prestige's too, so I guess I will just have to wait to be in his graces.
Does anyone know how to block members posts. I hate useless crap.
I'm done.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Vendor

While I'm definitely not familiar with the KR prefix, there doesn't seem to be anything out of place with the guitar itself. World factory was closing somewhere around that time [I think} so maybe there was interim codes used. Either way, it looks legit.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Rich,
That gives me something new to research (World Factory)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 06:26 PM

No offense, but I think you may be over reacting a bit regarding Jack. He has a good point that most guitars that are fakes these days are the higher end guitars. This allows the counterfeiters to get the most bang for their buck. He did not say your guitar sucked or anything. It is a nice looking axe and if it plays well then it was a good buy.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 06:41 PM

I don't crap on Prestiges, per se. More the quality Ibanez churns them out these days. I wouldn't be here if I didn't love Ibanez nor would my 20+ guitar collection be all Ibanez. I'd also never malign anyone for the kind of guitar they like. If someone can get good sounds out of a cheapo guitar, rock on. For a final point, I have no JEM's or JS series guitars. I'm a PGM guy.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Vendor

Another with the same prefix

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

After getting Richs post (thanks)I did more research into World Plant or Factory).
I don't believe it has anything to do with the World Factory though.
If I drop the (R) from serial it becomes a legit serial number for the KWO Plant in Indonesia.
Still this guitar is stamped on the back with the serial and model as being made in Korea.
I don't know if Indonesia is any better than Korea but this set up nice and I use low action with no buzz.
My rgt6 with EMG 8I 85 I needed to do some leveling and a re-crowning.
That serial starts CP which does not work in dater unless you drop the P and it works.
Of course it is for Cort plant Korea.
I still cant figure KR. Drop the R and its suppose to be Indonesian but reads Korea on headstock.
Arrg!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 06:50 PM

Well, at this point, there's probably no difference between guitars made at Cort and the ones in Indonesia so probably nothing to worry about. Green sharktooths do look nice, tho.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Moebius and Jack Secret
Yes I did over react, I'm sorry. Trying to fit in has never been a strong suite for me.
Anyways, I agree with quality that Ibanez is putting out in Korea. In support of some though, I must say that My Prestige RGA121 with (upgrade)Breed Pups and maple top is a guitar worthy of any guitarist who loves a hardtail. Fantastic necks and I love spending $300 on a guitar with a 5 piece maple/walnut neck-thru that only needs some electronics and probably a leveling and crowning to rival any guitar on stage today costing thousands of dollars.
Oh ya I'm frugal and and have not always been an Ibanez fan, only because I never tried.
Sorry for being off subject but I thought I should try to clear air after my rant.
Thanks for straightening me out.

And My post seems to be more aggravating than anything because it requires a lot of research in which Jack Secret aptly put. korea / Indonesia. Doesn't really matter. If it was a Japan Made guitar it might be worth getting to the bottom of, but it's not. I at least feel safe to call this original in case I sell it. I don't want to proliferate the bogus Ibanez's that have made the market. I would rather burn it.

Last edited by ingus; 05-22-2009 at 06:58 PM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 07:13 PM

Korean is not always bad. I have a SZ520 I like but had to do some big upgrades to. Now it plays really well. The Xiphos is Indonesian and some people see to rave over it. If it plays well, who cares where it comes from.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

I agree, If it plays good rock it.
I have 1-V-Blade left out of 3, 2-Ziphos which are definately able axes. 2-Maple top Rg121 Prestige that I only upgraded pups(Breeds) on one of them that are excellent, 2-Ibanez acoustics that are Ok and about 5-cheap Ibanez that I upgraded pups to kick around. I have 4 other manufacturers too but they dont see much use. I would never buy a Gibson so I bought an Epiphone Prophecy LP with the Dirty Finger pups just for the Tone for my old school stuff (Zep). I can't knock the quality for price of these guitars. A Dean Razorback to look radical and plays well also, fast neck.
I would like to try an Ibanez signature model like the PGM or Sat Stuff. What is most likely to impress me with quality in workmanship and playability? What is going to tell me that there is something that just rocks and that I have been missing the boat?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 07:49 PM

Actually, for Zeppelin/old Rush I use old Ibanez Les Paul/PF series guitars. I have a PF200 I've had forever and still plays great.

Far as something that rocks, just look for something you like. Rich has a article on his site that explains the lack of quality of newer Ibanezes he feels is happening these days.

Tags
fake , serial number

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode