Help! Thinking About Buying An Explorer Knock-Off! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Help! Thinking About Buying An Explorer Knock-Off!

Hi Folks,

I already have an Ibanez RG 320FM that I am very happy with. But in order to have some variety, I am currently looking for a cheap Explorer knock-off for Sabbath stuff (a guilty pleasure). I have my eye on the Slammer XP-1 (by Hamer), and I am thinking that I would like to slap some 12 gauge strings on it. I read somewhere that the heavier gauges are bad for cheap guitars because the headstock (and the neck) canít handle the stress of it. Is this correct? I am also planning to tune the Slammer down to C; the additional slack would help if this is the case. Like I said, I am thinking cheap on this (about $250 at the most), so I am not looking to move up to the ESP LTDís and the like. I am not looking for a perfect tone quality (remember early 70ís Sabbath?). Also, what other companies make knock-off Explorers? Should I start trolling the pawnshops (I live in downtown Toronto, Canada) considering how small this investment is going to be? I am somewhat nervous about buying used. Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 05:12 PM

Re: Help! Thinking About Buying An Explorer Knock-Off!

12 gauge strings are bad canít handle the stress of it- (Is correct)
Go 10 gauge to be safe & Also, what other companies make knock-off Explorers- ( Epiphone is not a knock off, so go with them if you want a explorer & they do make a SG for that real Sabbath sound your after, look in to that first before you go out to buy the explorer the SG is cheap enough to buy in that price range & it was used for Sabbath music)

Cheers- Jake.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaken777
12 gauge strings are bad canít handle the stress of it- (Is correct)
Go 10 gauge to be safe & Also, what other companies make knock-off Explorers- ( Epiphone is not a knock off, so go with them if you want a explorer & they do make a SG for that real Sabbath sound your after, look in to that first before you go out to buy the explorer the SG is cheap enough to buy in that price range & it was used for Sabbath music)

Cheers- Jake.
Thanks! I know that Iommi used an SG, but I should have mentioned that I was was looking for an alternative guitar that is just as heavy (weight and tone). I prefer the shape of the Explorer.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 05:54 PM

Get a used RG5x0 and swap out the pickups if you want variety. Don't PURPOSELY spend your money on a cheap guitar that won't hold it's value or a decent set of strings. You are also almost guaranteed to do better with a used guitar of the same price than a new one. Just don't buy something thinking "it's only 250, so it can be junk". Be looking forward to "look at this diamond I scored for 250". Hit the pawn shops, troll the newspapers or whatever, watch the Bay. Look at Greco's, Burny's, other used Japanese guitars. Just don't blow your wad on a brand new shiny piece of junk. There are very, very few guitars that are worth buying new over used.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 06:09 PM

I just picked up a old Hondo explorer copy that should be coming tomorrow, there seems to be a few on the ba everynow and then, should be able to get it under that price. Agile makes a copy as well, or at least did, I don't know if it's in their current line up. Might be able to get a old Ibanez x series destroyer too. I bought my project destroyer for under 250. Just had to put it back together to get a working guitar.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 07:01 PM

I knew a guy that had a white "Burny" Explorer once. It really played and sounded very nice.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 08:24 PM

One thing i really hate right now is how all the guys at my college seem to think that the higher the string gauge - the better (and the 'harder' they think they are )

I get mocked for using .9s on standard E and they're using .13s!

Anyway, that's getting a little bit too far offtopic. But what i meant to say is that you'd be fine using .11s or such at most because they wouldn't kill your guitar neck (when i was younger, i was using .11s on a cheapo Encore guitar tunned to A - Oh... the Slipknot days *hangs head* - and it worked fine). The only real benefit of using heavier gauges IMO is for the tone, which as you said isn't totally neccisary

I think there was a brand atm i checked out called "Indie" guitars who do lots of copies like Vintage does but a bit better as far as i could tell. They do lots of Gibson copies so i'm sure they'll have an Explorer. Best check that out.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 08:26 PM

I'm sure any explorer copy be it Epiphone, Vintage, Agile, Slammer or whoever will all be the same quality since they are probably all made by Sammick anyway.

I'd keep a look out for a real explorer, I got mine for $425, it's a little on the ugly side, but it plays and sounds great. In fact it's probably become my #2 favorite, and if I ever needed to dump it for whatever reason, I can easily get back what I put into it.

Last edited by elcid; 03-07-2006 at 08:33 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 11:22 PM

Why don't you try to score an old Ibanez Destroyer?

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 11:54 PM

Thats nice Xavier, I had an early 80s Destroyer II, with a killer maple top, Abolone block inlays, set neck. Getting rid of it was definately my biggest gear mistake ever.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 01:42 AM

Aw, man...I'd be regreting getting rid of that as well.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 06:18 AM

Reviews: 34

I've got a dt 350 (star shape) at it rocks. If I needed an explorer/destroyer shape, 80's ibanez would be the first point of call.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 10:15 AM

I outgrew my "funny shape" phase, but I still would love an old black destroyer. I was THAT into Lep and the Pyromania album. What other guitar turns into a sword?

If you WANT a rock shape, get one. But do look for used instead of a cheap new one. Generally better deals, though the quality of $250 guitars is better than it ever was, and it should be a playable axe should you decide to go that way. I don't get why cheap guitars are supposed to break more easily. I mean, for heavy strings I'd sure take a cheap axe with a hunkin piece of maple as a neck over a prestige with a wizard and through-neck nut mounting holes. Maybe you'll need better tuners, but hey.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESTER700
I outgrew my "funny shape" phase
I don't think I personally would say I "outgrew" it because I don't think age or experience has anything to do with what guitar you want to play but I'm not really into interesting shapes anymore either. However, one of the few guitars I've owned that I actually still regret selling is my lefty '85 Gibson Explorer that I had custom ordered direct from Nashville through the local dealer (Do they still do that?). It was all black w/ chrome hardware and a Kahler Pro trem. Took literally forever to get it but it was one sweet playing and sweet sounding guitar (I have to admit it was heavy and kinda uncomfy to play sitting down... but those things didn't bother me).
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe
I've got a dt 350 (star shape) at it rocks. If I needed an explorer/destroyer shape, 80's ibanez would be the first point of call.
So I shouldn't worry about buying used, if the seller is reputable of course?
I am also starting to look at the Dean Z (79 reissue model), now that I am thinking about spending more money in order to avoid garbage (as per the above feedback).

Tags
block inlays , chrome hardware , gauge strings , guage strings , sounding guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode