Help w/ info on Epiphone LP model - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Help w/ info on Epiphone LP model

i just got my RG620xbk (like new w/ the plastic still on it) and i was sooo impressed with it that i traded my RG570gn (like new w/ the plastic still on it) for an Epiphone Les Paul. i am not normaly an Epiphone guy or even a Les Paul guy, but this one is pretty amazing!
the Epiphone has a blood red quilt top with black harware, a JB in the bridge and a '57 (?) in the neck, new frets (gtr is mint - the original owner was a tech/luthier - certified - and didn't like the original frets) and new Grover tuners on the headstock (the kluson style are not my favorite - yuck!!). on the back of the headstock it has a "Limited Edition Epiphone" insignia. the body is a one pc mahogany body w/ real a quilt maple top and the red is truly stunning! the serial # is U99080273.
if anyone knows any info on this model i would be very appreciative. i am guessing it is pre-Elite but of the same quality. i am curious what overall quality and price these went for. i'm guessing it is a '99 model.
thanks in advance.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 09:30 AM

I remember these guitars, they made them in red and blue also. Both quilt models with all black hardware. As far as I know, they were nothing special. They were a limited run done by Epiphone, only for about a year I believe in '99. But by no means will it be collectable I doubt.

Those duncans were defenitely added-in at a later date, they came with the stock epiphone passive humbuckers. They were pre-Elite, and in the UK they were available for around 250. So they were not expensive.

I am glad you like it, and no doubt with the new tuners and the duncan pickups it sound pretty good. The tuners are usually the weakspot on epiphones anyways.

I think thats about right anyway, the shop I used to go to had loads of them at one point. They were offloading them ages ago for 200. Maybe I am wrong, but if anyone else knows different - I stand corrected!

Gary - The.Godfather
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 09:48 AM

I think those Epi's came with Alder backs. Most of the Epi LP Standards do. I don't know why, maybe Alder is cheaper or more available. Good guitars for a cheap price...
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 10:40 AM

My mistake. Not an Alder back but an Alder top. Since yours is quilted there may be no Alder in yours or the quilt is a thin veneer...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

the top on the guitar is a real quilt (I think) and it couldn't be more than 3/4" thick as i can see the mahogany (one piece) starting below the binding. i was hoping it was at least in the ball park of the Elite models. guess not. she looks beautiful and plays extremely nice. i am trying to get used to the LP style as i only own one other guitar that is close to those specs - Wolfgang std tr USA, but the hardware is recessed on the Wolfie so the neck doesn't have that drastic back angle as the LP guitars do. the neck shape on both are close.
i never planned to buy a LP or an Epi, so this is as close as i'll ever get. i'd like to get a LP DC std Plus (AAA top of course ) and an Explorer, but those are the only Gibsons i have ever desired. i fell in love with the Guild bluesbird and vowed to never buy a LP and eventually get the bluesbird - one day.
thanks guys and if anybody has any more info on these- please let me know. with all said and done i only have $250 US invested in this guitar and lord knows, the re-fret, pups, tuners and the new SKB LP case are worth more than that. i will try her out at my gig tonight at a local bar. i'll post how it goes.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 09:03 AM

Any chance you can share some pics man?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

hopefully the pics took at my gigs this past week will get emailed to me shortly and somebody would be kind enough to host for this thread. she is a beauty!!
i am sooo impressed at the playability and TONE!!! i was playing my 777VBK as my BACKUP for the LP!!! the VBK sounded thin next to it. the tone is full and very desirable. i can find very useful sounds w/ the three-way LP switch that i can't get on my other guitars. i need to do some mods to my Wolfgang Std to get it as close to these kind of tones as possible!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

the guy i traded my RG570 to for this Epiphone was complaining about his hands having problems with the neck feel. he came over and i let him leave with my G&L Climax XL (sweet axe!!) and he is in debt to me for around $300 over and above the Epiphone. since he is a certified guitar tech (does great work!), the RG570 came back to me in perfect condition and he had logged in almost 2 hours of set-up and adjustments (of course new strings as well) that is probably $75 worth of FREE work that isn't even figured in the deal.
he is going to be my personal guitar tech for a month or two and go thru ALL my guitars and teach me how to re-fret, re-wire and anything else i don't know how to do in the process. i have about 3 guitars that need fret crowning, polishing and minor stuff and i have one guitar that needs a re-fret and re-surfacing that will also get done.
this deal will work out wonderfully as i have too many guitars (1 to be able to fork out the $ to get this kind of work done. i use almost ALL of them regularly so it is important to be to learn these skills from a qualified/certified tech. we'll go thru ALL my guitars top-to-bottom and give them ALL total adjustments.
it's nice how life works out for the better when you help people out

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

i have pics to be posted if someone will host them of the Epi - she's gorgeous!
BTW- if you have been reading this - i did get my Explorer like i was considering months ago and now have a Hamer Studio USA that is extremely toneful and playable!
just a note on the Explorer (Gibson '76 reissue); the fit and finish of the Epiphone is better than the new Gibson. the Gibson has small flaws in the finish (even a small sharpie mark to cover a flaw on the back!!) that i guess i have to live with, but i can't believe Gibson is becoming so second rate on their new guitars!! sheeesh!
you can see rough spots where the neck joins the body from a lack of attention when applying the finish and three or four other spots that just didn't get the attention that you would think an almost $1000 gtr would receive!! i'll likely start a thread discussing this further and doudtfully ever buy another new Gibson.

Tags
duncan pickups , epiphone les paul , grover tuners , guitar tech , les paul , mahogany body , neck shape

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode