Hey guys. Newb here. Have a mess of a Roadstar I'd like to inquire about! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys. Newb here. Have a mess of a Roadstar I'd like to inquire about!

Hello all. I was recently in a band with a fellow that had a Roadstar II bass and guitar. He was looking to unload the guitar, and when I told him I really loved old 70s and early 80s Ibanezes, I think he was slightly surprised, but since he's a bass player decided I should have it. I was very grateful as I've always thought the Roadstar series was great.

Loving the guitar so far...great feeling neck and all, except it does need a bit of fretwork done in the upper registers, but otherwise I really like the way it plays. Only problem is, I was trying to ID the model and I've found no consistency using the Ibanezcollectors.com chart. What I think has happened is that someone has gotten into this guitar good and proper and as a result may be no way of ever telling its origin, but I love sleuthing such things, and thought you guys might enjoy it too!

So, the relevant info that I'd state about the guitar is:
- Serial # J851424. From what I've read that means a 1985 model.
- 3 Pickups. H-S-H. No way to identify the buckers, but the single is a blade style pickup, but it's white. Looks like what the Ibanez called the V7?
- Black body with pick guard, NO top binding and matching headstock
- 3 way switch instead of 5.
- 1 volume, 1 tone.
- Maple fingerboard

Can't really find matching specs for that, and one strange thing is that it has 4 holes drilled into the pickguard starting right at the 3 way toggle moving upwards (towards headstock). Here's where it gets even weirder. What I can see through these holes, it's holllow. Seems like a weird place to have a cavity. Even if you had swimming pool routing for the pickups, I wouldn't think you'd have that much hollow space that far up.

So what do you Ibanez nerds think? I'm loving the David Gilmour vibe of black on black with maple! One thing, and I'll spend more time with it before deciding, is that I haven't been blown away by the pickups, esp. at the bridge. I've played a couple of gigs with it and quite a bit around the house though, and they just don't have as much cut and bite as I'd like. I'm kinda surprised, because everywhere I read I'm reading that these old Ibanezes had stellar pickups and that even EVH used one. That said, other than the blade, I have no idea if the buckers are stock or not. Any recommendations? I usually play more singer/songwriter style Americana accompaniment, but this guitar will probably mostly be used for me to get a little heavier with and pretend I'm in Thin Lizzy/Van Halen/UFO/Rainbow/Budgie/Rush

I mean..I love my tele twang but sometimes you gotta rock it out.

Wish I could post a pic but since this is my first thread it gave me a big fat NO SIR! If there's some other way to get you guys to see the pic, I can do that, just let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 05:26 PM

Re: Hey guys. Newb here. Have a mess of a Roadstar I'd like to inquire about!

Hmm, haven't seen one like that before - could be Japan only that never made it into a catalogue (happened sometimes), or one that's been modded, perhaps a HH model that someone stuck a single in. I don't know of any HSH models prior to the '86 RG450...

What are the humbuckers? Black covered like EMG or traditional looking exposed coil?

The desirable pups are the Super 80s (Alnico 8 ) and Super 58s (Alnico 3).

Would be good to see some pics...

Anyway, if the guitar is good then that's all that matters . I have an RS525 - aggressive and very punchy.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 06:15 PM

Hmmm... I haven't seen an '85 with HSH either. Here is a link to some catalogs, but I didn't see what you described:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/list.php?era=80&p=4

Maybe someone put a different neck on an '86 body? Or a different pickguard and pickups in an '85?

What kind of bridge does it have? A ProRocker or an Edge trem?

Once you get 10 posts you can post a pic... or maybe you can post a link to a pic hosted on another site like Photobucket. Curious to see the guitar! I dig the old Roadstars.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 06:42 PM

Reviews: 2

Another old roadstar/RG fan here too.

Get some pics up ASAP so we can figure out what you have........
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks fellas! On my first link I tried putting a Tinypic link but maybe it was because I tried to hyperlink the image via html tags, and that didn't work, and then I tried posting a link to Photobucket as suggested by FireEagle but they won't allow links either.

Not trying to upset the authorities here on my first day or anything, but would it be unscrupulous for me to send one of you a PM with a link for a Photobucket album and have you post it? Or maybe I can go get into a political argument somewhere on the site? I'll take up both sides in two different threads of something that I have no idea about. That should build my post count up pretty quickly at least.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
Hmm, haven't seen one like that before - could be Japan only that never made it into a catalogue (happened sometimes), or one that's been modded, perhaps a HH model that someone stuck a single in. I don't know of any HSH models prior to the '86 RG450...

What are the humbuckers? Black covered like EMG or traditional looking exposed coil?

The desirable pups are the Super 80s (Alnico 8 ) and Super 58s (Alnico 3).

Would be good to see some pics...

Anyway, if the guitar is good then that's all that matters . I have an RS525 - aggressive and very punchy.

Pole pieces are exposed on both of the humbuckers. I was thinking about that modification, but my thoughts on that are this...if someone wanted to add a single coil to a dual humbucking Ibanez, it seems like a Dimarzio or Duncan or something would have been put in, but the middle single coil is the only pickup that I'm positive is an Ibanez manufactured pickup from the Roadstar series. OH! And I forgot to mention this earlier, but at the neck humbucker, the cutout isn't as precise as the bridge. The bridge cutout looks very well machined, but the one at the neck, the 90 degree angles look a bit too sharp (the bridge has a nice contour.) So maybe someone handcut that. So, that leads me somewhat to believe that maybe it was an H-S-S, or..I don't know if they made H and S, with nothing in the middle.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Hmmm... I haven't seen an '85 with HSH either. Here is a link to some catalogs, but I didn't see what you described:

Maybe someone put a different neck on an '86 body? Or a different pickguard and pickups in an '85?

What kind of bridge does it have? A ProRocker or an Edge trem?

Once you get 10 posts you can post a pic... or maybe you can post a link to a pic hosted on another site like Photobucket. Curious to see the guitar! I dig the old Roadstars.
I'd looked through some catalogs and oddly the closest thing I found matching was something from '84 called an RS225, but from the pics I can tell, those don't have pickguards. Though its possible someone put a pickguard on here to cover up some sloppy work!!

As for the bridge, it appears to be what's called the Power Rocker. Nice sturdy thing. I don't have a bar for it though. Hopefully that won't be too tough to find. Not that I need one. When I use a bar and I'm playing I think I sound like Jeff Beck and then when I listen back I'm like, "Oh..yeah. I should stop that. Immediately."
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyb View Post
I'd looked through some catalogs and oddly the closest thing I found matching was something from '84 called an RS225, but from the pics I can tell, those don't have pickguards. Though its possible someone put a pickguard on here to cover up some sloppy work!!

As for the bridge, it appears to be what's called the Power Rocker. Nice sturdy thing. I don't have a bar for it though. Hopefully that won't be too tough to find. Not that I need one. When I use a bar and I'm playing I think I sound like Jeff Beck and then when I listen back I'm like, "Oh..yeah. I should stop that. Immediately."
I saw one in the catalog that looked a bit close, the '85 RS135. It was HSS, but if a previous owner cut it out for a humbucker in the neck position it may explain it...

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/...t_id=119&now=7

BTW - I shamelessly butchered my old '86 RG110 (in about 1990) and have a like new PowerRocker trem, complete with bar. Hit me up if you ever decide you want it. I'd pass it on cheap, since I stupidly filled the trem cavity and pretty much ruined the chance of ever putting it back to original. Soon I will post an update on a different body I bought for the wonderful old neck!
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
I saw one in the catalog that looked a bit close, the '85 RS135. It was HSS, but if a previous owner cut it out for a humbucker in the neck position it may explain it...

BTW - I shamelessly butchered my old '86 RG110 (in about 1990) and have a like new PowerRocker trem, complete with bar. Hit me up if you ever decide you want it. I'd pass it on cheap, since I stupidly filled the trem cavity and pretty much ruined the chance of ever putting it back to original. Soon I will post an update on a different body I bought for the wonderful old neck!
Definitely has that look. Only thing is that pic has the 5 way instead of the 3 way, and it appears to have the phase switches. I thought that may have been what the holes in the pickguard were on mine, but they seem to be in quite a different location.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Of course one of the reasons I'm inquiring about all of this is having three pickups, but only a 3 way toggle switch I have no option of getting any out of phase tones.

Now, I know what you're thinking, "Bobby, are you seriously going to try to live out your Nile Rodgers fantasies and make that annoying quack noise and drive all of us insane?"

Yes. The answer is that yes, I fully intend on doing that. I don't own a strat. It's something I don't get to do.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Ok. whew. That was like work.

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyb View Post
Ok. whew. That was like work.

Hmmm.. That is strange. Maybe someone had their own phase or coil tap switches in the extra holes? Mine had no cavity underneath the place where the extra holes are on yours. During my recent attempt to rebuild my old RG110 body I did find a place that has pickguards...

http://www.siglermusiconline.com/

They sell loaded pickguards with a proper 5-way on ebay, but if you contact them directly they can get you whatever you want for $39. (Check out e b a y item #111349573549) Hard to find those older ones.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for hipping me to that link! I think I'd seen those before and forgotten. The $39 sounds pretty sweet, but when I think on it for a moment, buying the whole chassis may not be the worst idea in the world either. I'd like a pickguard without holes in it, I'm not overly ecstatic about the pickups there now, I'm an electronic idiot who's all thumbs, and would love to have a 5 way. So for $260 and the guitar was gifted to me, that's pretty sweet.

I'm usually the type of guy that would peruse Duncans more than Dimarzios, but the descriptions of those pickups sound right up my alley with what I want to do with this particular guitar. Put a tone zone in a friend's guitar I had as a loaner a couple years ago and it was good if you had everything cranked, distortion sizzling, and the guitar volume all the way up, but anything outside of that didn't make me fall in love, but after reading, a lot of people have confirmed that on the internet, so this seems a bit more my style. All that said, I think chasing after pickups can be a rabbit hole into insanity.

Soldering two wires though? I can definitely do that. Getting the wiring on my Jazzmaster right? Man those switches have never worked properly. So, anyway, yeah, I might consider one of these loaded guards down the road.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 07:44 PM

Hmm, middle pup could be a Duncan Hot Stack. Don't recall any V7s that were white... You can't swap the covers on these Ibanez pups because everything is epoxied into it. Couldn't tell you what the humbuckers are.

I think what you've got is an RS135, as someone has mentioned already, where the previous owner has made a new scratchplate for it with different electrics.

Nice Burns btw .
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 08:27 PM

Reviews: 2

I'd be really interested to see the body with the pickguard off.........

Tags
roadstar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode