Hey there (Introduction of myself and a cry for help.) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Hey there (Introduction of myself and a cry for help.)

Hey there everyone. This is my first post at the jemsite forums, which i think are going to help me alot in my "quest" for increased knowledge and skill in guitars and the skills accompanied by them.. Enough with the bull already. Im Roland, i live in Sweden, and i am 15 years old. Im in a deeply ****ty situation. (This has to do with my future request for advices.) I've gotten a work offer at a hotel with 100€ salary PER WEEKEND, but my mother wont let me work there since she thinks that it's "too dangerous". This brings me to another point: I have NO SOURCE at all to get money from, and that means that any future electric guitar which is going to be purchased is going to have to be bought through my parents wallet. That means, no second shot.
I've been playing guitar for roughly two years, i know my fair share of theoretics, (Thanks to the BEAUTIFUL guitar-lessons on this thread! I learned more here on this forum about theoretics in 15 minutes than i did in two 130€ guitar-class terms á 10 lessons each!) but i've almost not even touched an electric guitar (School, but seriously, that doesn't count.) which means that i don't know jack-**** about terms in the world of electro-guitar-mastery.
Here comes the real pulp of my post. I am going to buy a 7-string guitar (Well, that actually hangs on how i perform in school, so my balls are on the line here, guys.) as my first electric guitar, since i know getting a 6-string is worthless if i want to play downtuned stuff (ŕ Slipknot, Mudvayne and the likes. Dont mock me for my taste in music. ) because it feels like playing on f***ing rubber-bands and the strings keep hitting the frets, alas, a 6-string is DEFINATELY out of the question. So, my question is, what guitar should i get? Im looking for something that won't burn a significantly large hole in my parent's wallet. Im looking for something in the 600-800€ range. Though i can chip in with about 200€, so the absolute maximum roof of the guitar cost has to be 1,000€, but most preferrably beneath that. Thanks in advance for the help.

Roland (Don't roast me.)

P.S: Im asking you to have patience with me for my eventual greenish questions about electric guitars.
P.S.2: (No, not Playstation2. Computers kicks console ass.) Any tips on amps and distorsion devices are also strongly encouraged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 01:40 PM

Hi Roland,And welcome to our humble home :-) I'd recommend an Ibanez RG7421/7321 the korean hardtail,a chnage of pickups and your sorted,If i manage to get hold of a new body i'd be willing to sell my RG7620,but that may be longer than you have...

Also,for what it's worth,there have been a couple of rg7620's sold recently both privately and on evilBay (that auction site) ;-) and neither was more than 1000 euro's so IF you do see one knocking about,go for it,There fantastic guitars and come with decent stock pickups :-)

There is a wealth of information on this site,so read up and keep your eyes on the classifieds too

Kind Regards

Rob

p.s. i can't resist a little roasting,PC's do NOT kick PS2's ass,In any way ... PES2 rocks ... :-) could'nt resist dude
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply and the wise words. (The only game im willing to cut some slack on for PS2 is Dead or Alive2: Hardcore. Bayman kicks ass! The PC is sovereign in all other areas.) Ill keep my eyes peeled for the RG7-421/321. One thing i forgot to mention is that i also want the guitar to go nicely with any wah-wah effects (Since i have a small fetish of blending disco-funk with metal. Just listen to Slipknot's "Bitchslap"! Now that's some top-notch classy sheeat! Im dreaming of making a metal-remake of Wild Cherry's "Play that funky music" as soon as i can scratch a band together here at art school. This sure beats the **** out off regular grade school.) One more thing i have to ask you guys is: What the hell is a tremolo!?! I've looked it up in the dictionary, and as far as i can see it, tremolo is rather a way of playing the instrument itself than rather a part of it! Anyone who cares to explain where the tremolo is and how it's used? (I told you, im green.)
Another thing ive noticed is that modern all-in-one effects "pedals" (If you can call those foot-by-foot-squares pedals...) seem to overlook the all-famous wah-wah - Does that mean that i have to get a separate pedal for that?
Lastly, i dont know jack-**** about how you hook up the effect-pedals... I mean, at school, the sole thing i learned about E.G's was how to plug 'em in.... Anyone care to explain that too? (Sorry for this turning O/T, but i badly need some help on these areas.)
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 03:18 PM

the tremolo is the thing with a removable bar that sticks out.
the rg7620's bridge is a a kind of tremolo
just lift it and push it!

and agreed, when PCs work, they top those PS2 or whatnot
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 03:30 PM

Hey Roland-

As far as needing a 7 because the strings flop around too much when you detune a 6, have you tried just going with heavier strings? I mean, I'm a raving 7-string addict, and I love mine to death, but if all you want to do is play really low riffs, then all you really need to do is just throw a really heavy set of strings on it- they won't flop as much. At all, actually.

So try a set of, say, .11-.52's or so, or even heavier, before you decide if you need a 7.

-D
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-28-2003, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

I don really like tampering with those things, plus i really do want to have that extended range, you know. Going from pounding low A-riffs to screeching high arpeggio (Or what it´s called.) solos on the high-E is just kickass! I really want that low A (Can´t really see the good in keeping it in B-tuning... Care to explain? ) while still keeping the standard tuning. As i said before, blending 70esque DiscoFunk and Metal is a small dream of mine... I do want the guitar to sound fine with wah-wah´s, does the Ibanez RG7xxx do that?
Right, i'll start looking for ads now. But i still dont want to get skinned on the shipping fees. They ain´t THAT bad, right? RIGHT!? Right. Let´s hear it.

Roland

P.S.: So, the tremolo is the bar which you use to pitch the tone? If so, can you also bend the tone downwards, without having to pull the bar upwards , then playing and finally releasing the bar.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-28-2003, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland
I don really like tampering with those things, plus i really do want to have that extended range, you know.
You consider tuning and restringing "tampering?" Geez, what do you do when you break a string?? The extended range thing is one thing, but you didn't mention that in your original post, just that you needed a 7 to play "down-tuned" music.

-D
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-28-2003, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Right, let me put it this way: I played downtuned because i wanted to play along with Slipknot and Mudvayne tracks, though i soon realised that i lost the upper scales because of the downtuning. With a 7-string Drop A, i can play Slipknot and compose my own "crunchers", while still having the choice to blend in some cool pieces. As far as concidering restringing, i do find that as "tampering" since i have the bad habit of spending about 20min per string because they tend to ****in' jump. Another thing i wanna get a 7-string for is because i dont HAVE to tune down, which seriously decreases the chances of a string snapping. (My low E snapped on my acustic guitar after i tuned it up to standard tuning from Drop-D, down 1˝ step. I dont want that to happen with my electric guitar. Not that im cheap, just that i ****ING HATE restringing. Retuning ain't a problem at all.)

Roland.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-28-2003, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland
Right, let me put it this way: I played downtuned because i wanted to play along with Slipknot and Mudvayne tracks, though i soon realised that i lost the upper scales because of the downtuning. With a 7-string Drop A, i can play Slipknot and compose my own "crunchers", while still having the choice to blend in some cool pieces.
See, that's a good reason to own a 7. As for restringing, take a look at the Jemsite tech guide, if it's an electric. do so anyway, actually. Depending on what you mean by "jumping," you might be able to identify a problem with either the method by which you're restringing, or a probem withg your gutiar itself. It shouldn't take you 20 minutes to get a new string on.

-D
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-28-2003, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Naaah. It's me. When i have to go through the "hole" after looping the string 'round the "axis" i often loose tension, and the strings always cross eachother , making if even more difficult gaining tension, since the string loops cut through eachother if they happen to cross one another, which happens OFTEN. Alas, restringing is a tedious and painful process. Anchoring the strings into the bridge is also a P.I.T.A. "In over and under", etc. But its the way it has to be done.... Ah well... Must focus on school now... Need those good grades!
One more thing i have to ask you is; Is the fretboard MEGA-THICK in comparison with the sixer? Or just barely enough to notice? 'cause in theory, playing the guitar shouldnt be that hard, since you can ignore the 1st string while playing Metal, then ignore the 7th string while playing smoother parts. Though handling chords is another story because of the wider fretboard. Any tips for a 7-string newbie?

Roland

P.S.: While this is highly offtopic, i dont want to create another thread for this sole question, alas; Can anyone recommend a good speaker and a good distorsion pedal? (Speaker shouldnt be a monster, but too weak either; I want a respectable sound when i play. Pedal should preferrable have wah-wah.)
My second question is if someone could perhaps show me, with a picture, how the speaker, guitar and pedals are wired together... Thanks yet again for the already helpful advices!
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-28-2003, 07:00 PM

people can go from six to sevens and back and forth without much problems. I'm among those luckily.

have you ever played a seven string? some of the questions you have could be answered just by playing one.

btw, i dont like drop tunings. For three reasons: 2 fingered powerchords, i dont like that. not very good for inversed powerchords (with the fifth in the bass you know). for scales, you gotta make a 2 fret "jump"
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Hey there everyone. Im back after a small trip to the local guitarstore where i just played a Shine SH180 (I think it was 180) 7-stringer. Actually i found it quite nice to play, and im considering buying it, but since ive not even touched the Ibanez RG7xxx's, ill play them first and decide if the quality is worth the price. (Shine Sh180 goes for 510€ while Ibanez RG7321 at the Crafton-dealer (Official main dealer of Ibanez guitars.) goes for 700€.) Got myself some experience with pedals too. But still, more comments are stronly appreciated... And is the Shine a good guitar, by the way?
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 11:53 AM

Although...

first, in drop-A, arpeggios actually feel pretty cool:

Code:
|---------------3-7p3----------------------------|
|-------------5-------5--------------------------|
|-----------4-----------4------------------------|
|---------5---------------5----------------------|
|-------7-------------------7-----------7--------|
|---3h7-----------------------7p3---3h7---7p3----|
|-7-------------------------------7-----------7~-|
Also, I've been half-tempted to try tuning to stacked 5ths for some time now. Why? 4-note-per-string scale patterns. I'm working this out without a guitar in hand, so this could be a ltitle iffy, but on a 6, this woul;d be a minor pattern:

Code:
5ths tuning

|---------------------------------------------4-6-8-9-|
|-------------------------------------4-6-8-9---------|
|----------------------------4-6-8-10-----------------|
|-------------------5-6-8-10--------------------------|
|----------5-6-8-10-----------------------------------|
|-5-7-8-10--------------------------------------------|
The ability to play 4-note diatonic patterns in a fixed position would absolutely ROCK, IMO: that's a touch over 4 octaves right there, out of a 6-string. You could probably hit 5 on a seven, all without shifting position.

If it wasn't such a pain in the arse to retune a floyd-equipped guitar, and if i ad a bunch of extra heavy strings (so as to not snap the high strings, you'd have to probably start at a Meshuggah-approved E (or lower), working up probably above the high E of a standard tuned guitar. THAT would be some pretty cool "extended range" playing.

-D
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 12:47 PM

now do that on a 36 frets 8string!
i still dont like drops though
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam669
now do that on a 36 frets 8string!
i still dont like drops though
hahaha, buy me one and I'll gladly do it.

Yeah, I tried drop-A twice... once on the 2027, and with the guage I was using and mahogany's lack of prescense, the A string just got lost in my Mesa combo's overdrive, and on the 7620, it was cool, and I left it there a few days (when I worked out some arp fingerings), but I ended up going back because standard felt more natural for me.

Anyway, I'd hardly call the "stacked 5th" tuning a "drop" tuning- sure, you need to detune a lot so you don't break strings, but it's definately more than a simple drop tuning...

-D

Tags
amp distortion , amp modeler , beautiful guitar , boss metal zone , bridge pickup , combo amp , dino cazares , distortion pedal , electric guitar , equipped guitar , extension cab , fixed bridge , high strings , ibanez guitars , locking trems , marshall jtm , playing guitar , tom morello , tube amp , tube amps , tube head

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode