High E string catchs on Humbucker - PLEASE HELP - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

High E string catchs on Humbucker - PLEASE HELP

Hi,

I have a RG 3570 Z Prestige purchased from Ibanez rules about 5 years ago.
Its the Red one with Mustard pickups and nobs from 2009 -2011.

So, I have rarely had an Ibanez with H-S-H. I've almost always managed to have my guitars with H-H.

So this particular Ibanez RG Prestige has the H-S-H, and the pickups don't have 'mount' rings. And so my high E string repeatedly catch's on the pickup, and gets stuck on it.

This happened live, several weeks ago in front of 2000 people.
Most embarrassing show of my 20 years performing.

Lowering the pickups and raising the poles isn't an option, so any fix, has to be other than, that.

This is a major design flaw, that is blowing my mind.
And so I was watching a Steve Vai vid where he is doing a Rig Rundown, and I notice a bunch of his Ibanez have tape on the ends of the pickup.

Now I'm wondering if he has the same issue, or that was something else completely.

Any help, advice, or shared experience's would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 10:17 PM
Vendor

Re: High E string catchs on Humbucker - PLEASE HELP

That is exactly what the tape is for. You can use clear tape so it's not as obvious.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for confirmation!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 02:24 PM

that's interesting about the tape. I remember reading that he had put the tape on their because someone had accidentally thrown away his favorite pickup. And after eventually retrieving them, he put the tape as a reminder to leave them be. Supposedly, the tech found the pickup had a fault in it so thought it was bad and tossed it. But Steve liked the sound of it. Probably an urban legend or intentional misdirection.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 02:38 AM
Vendor

The story of turning the tour bus around to go fish the pickup out of the trash is correct, but the tape was only for the purpose of keeping the string from slipping under the bobbin.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 12:19 PM

I asume this happens when you do big deep dives? This has never happened to me because I don't do big dives often
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 02:01 PM
Vendor

You can trap a string with just picking alone, right spot, right angle, right pressure. Otherwise when diving and picking it's more common, or with flapping loose strings with your fretting hand during a dive. There are several scenarios you can trap a string until the neck bobbin. Most of which you would experience in the thousands of hours of playing before you got on stage and know how to avoid it.
ShinkanPo likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 06:26 AM

I gotta say i've never had it trapped there in 25 years of playing! Then again... i'm a n00b who noodles with himself

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode