High e string intonation very low - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ibaraki_gaijin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

High e string intonation very low

Intonation very low on the high e string, furthermore, string action is also very low on that string.
Is the intonation problem a result of the low string action, it is also buzzing a lot?
Should I raise the bridge on the treble side. I have the original edge bridge. Its on a Genesis rg550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

Correction, not low, but flat.
Intonation very flat on high e-string. Also the string action very low, so it buzzez on many frets on the e-string. Especially on the first 7 frets

What to do?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 05:54 AM

Re: High e string intonation very low

Fret buzz at that end of the neck suggests insufficient relief, but if it is only the high E that would be odd- twisted neck or a fret issue somewhere. What is your action like at the 12th fret?

Sort that before getting into the intonation. If fretted notes are flat you need to move the saddle towards the neck.
Algiman is online  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman View Post
Fret buzz at that end of the neck suggests insufficient relief, but if it is only the high E that would be odd- twisted neck or a fret issue somewhere. What is your action like at the 12th fret?

Sort that before getting into the intonation. If fretted notes are flat you need to move the saddle towards the neck.
About 1 mm on 12th fret high e string and almost 2 mm on low e string

It is very strange, I bought the guitar a few years back, and ended up not playing it. But I vaugely remember lowering the bridge slighly to get a lower string action. And I am 100% certain that I did not do anything with saddles. So how can intionation all of a sudden go without me changing the saddles?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 11:25 PM

1mm is very low, I suggest you raise it a little but these things are all personal preference. It is possible you have a dodgy or damaged string too. Try changing it.
Algiman is online  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:30 AM

Quote:
1mm is very low, I suggest you raise it a little but these things are all personal preference. It is possible you have a dodgy or damaged string too. Try changing it.
Definitely worth checking this..
I had a JS 1000 that buzzed only on the high e.
Drove me mad for ages. I got my fret rocker out, no high frets.. Raised the bridge. Still awful.
Was starting to get paranoid that my neck had a twist as the relief was fine everywhere else.

Turned out it was the way the string was resting in the locking part of the trem.
And as soon as I changed the string the issue just disappeared and never returned.
Algiman likes this.
ibaraki_gaijin is online  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes I want to raise it, but for some strange reason, I can't find the correct allen wrench, what size should it be, you know?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibaraki_gaijin View Post
Quote:
Definitely worth checking this..
I had a JS 1000 that buzzed only on the high e.
Drove me mad for ages. I got my fret rocker out, no high frets.. Raised the bridge. Still awful.
Was starting to get paranoid that my neck had a twist as the relief was fine everywhere else.

Turned out it was the way the string was resting in the locking part of the trem.
And as soon as I changed the string the issue just disappeared and never returned.
Interesting!

Will change string if it doesn't work with raising the bridge. Just need to figure out correct allen wrench size
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy View Post
Yes I want to raise it, but for some strange reason, I can't find the correct allen wrench, what size should it be, you know?
4mm, and a 1.5mm for the locking one inside (I think the genesis has them)
Algiman is online  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy View Post

4mm, and a 1.5mm for the locking one inside (I think the genesis has them)
I have the wrench for the inner lock, but the main 4mm I don't seem to have. Need to go and get one, will be back asap, and let you know how it is going. Thanks for your help so far.

Last edited by Addy; Today at 02:04 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode