High end ESPs - Made in...? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

High end ESPs - Made in...?

Hey,
I was looking around but couldnt find out the answer to this...

Where are high end ESP's made? Stuff like the Ecplipse II standards and models like that? Is it Japan? Or USA?

And following on...

How are those guitars? I recently played a Charvel San Dimas 4 () and the action on that absolutely slayed the neck on my ESP LTD EC-1000 (which I thought wasn't too bad til recently).

My friend is offering to sell the Charvel SD4 in question to me... but I really don't know if I can afford it, plus it would mean selling my EC-1000.

Cheers guys
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 06:40 PM

Re: High end ESPs - Made in...?

I've always been under the impression that they are made in Japan, but I could be wrong.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 07:45 PM

High end ESP's are made in Japan...
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 07:51 PM

ESP Japan & LTD Korea
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 08:29 PM

Plenty of ESPs seem to come from Korea too. In response to your question regarding the San Dimas, if it slays yer LTD, and you like it, why fret about selling the LTD?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 08:34 PM

The good ones are made in one of the custom shops in Japan. Off the top of my head there are either 2 or 3 small shops which make the top end stuff. My Kamikaze 7 string is being born in one of them right now

The leading alpha character in the serial number is rumored to tell you which shop made it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 09:19 PM

The custom shop used to be in NYC, on 48th Street in the 80's, but all the custom work is done in Japan now.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelblack2 View Post
The good ones are made in one of the custom shops in Japan. Off the top of my head there are either 2 or 3 small shops which make the top end stuff. My Kamikaze 7 string is being born in one of them right now

The leading alpha character in the serial number is rumored to tell you which shop made it.
OH MAN. When you get that guitar in you have got to share pictures.

I love my Kami. I have owned alot of guitars and the only one I have ever regretted selling was my ESP Kami. So when I got a chance I got another one.

ESP Customs are made in Japan. The back order on these things is attrocious. I wanted to order a Kami and I was told 6 months until ESP had any available for the States.
Lucky enough I found a dealer with one in stock.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
Plenty of ESPs seem to come from Korea too. In response to your question regarding the San Dimas, if it slays yer LTD, and you like it, why fret about selling the LTD?
Well for one its a floyd and I've never had one, dunno how I'd feel about having one as my only guitar. Also because I can see myself getting a crap deal trying to sell the LTD, I suck at trading/haggling.

Cheers for the help guys, has anyone played any Japan made ESP's?

Joe
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
The custom shop used to be in NYC, on 48th Street in the 80's,
Ahhh..the good 'ol days.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 06:32 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: High end ESPs - Made in...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
The custom shop used to be in NYC, on 48th Street in the 80's, but all the custom work is done in Japan now.
The Guitars have always been made in Japan! but their HQ was first on 19th in NYC, later on it was moved to 48th St and in 1993 ESP finally moved their office to Hollywood CA in the Sunset Strip.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 10:35 AM

Wherever they made the actual guitars, the Custom Shop was on 48th St, next to Sam Ash and across the street from Rudy's Music Stop (Rudy being Rudy Pensa of Pensa-Suhr). That's where you had to go if you wanted to order a custom, and that's where you picked it up. The store front itself wasn't setup as a headquarters, whether it was or not. It was setup as a Custom Shop, and that's pretty much all they did or sold. They had a few Custom Shop instruments on the walls, mostly Lynchs and Reids, and tons of bodies and necks. Their prices were also nothing remotely reasonable, in my opinion.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 11:17 AM

Has anyone seen or played the new Kiko Loureiro signature Edwards/ESP? The thing looks FINE. It looks like he took the Caparison Dellinger and Horus and slammed the best qualities of both together. It is also equipped with an SD TB-14 (Custom 5) in the bridge position which is a huge plus too.

Anyone fiddled with this??
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShred View Post
Has anyone seen or played the new Kiko Loureiro signature Edwards/ESP? The thing looks FINE. It looks like he took the Caparison Dellinger and Horus and slammed the best qualities of both together. It is also equipped with an SD TB-14 (Custom 5) in the bridge position which is a huge plus too.

Anyone fiddled with this??
Yeah, that guitar is the balls...I love the scallops..
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 11:44 AM

ESP Orignal Series, Customer Series, Signature Series, Order Made (High End) are all made in japan

but i think thats the only series that bares the ESP names

Edwards are made in japan

Grassroots are split between japan and korean i think

LTD are korean and indonesian

Tags
bridge position , custom shop , david mccarroll , kiko loureiro , sam ash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode