High-end RG body-type! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Talking High-end RG body-type!

I know this probably has been discussed before and maybe Ibanez makes one that I don't know about. But, why can't Ibanez make a string-thru, neck-thru (one piece) RG shaped guitar as a regular model with choices? Choices such as 2 humbuckers, 2 1 2 configuration, or even 1 1 1 (ala Strat) at the very least. Other nice options would be wood types (fretboard & body) and different top options. WHY? Why not make maybe the ultimate guitar or very close to it!? With a string-thru & neck-thru guitar, that is the best combination for sustain, tone, and maybe action. Man, I can picture it now, string-thru, neck-thru, 10 top, custom inlay & finish, and any choice of color you want [or at the very least a large selection of colors to choose from (ala PRS)]! Also, even though I like the pickguards on the Jems, make these like Prestiges, w\o p.guards.

Why does Schecter use string-thru on most of their guitars? AWESOME!

I would think making a string-thru would be cheaper (less hardware to buy, no stop-tail parts) and easier, and better sound. I think it is aesthetically more pleasing to the eye anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 12:35 AM
Dee

Re: High-end RG body-type!

I've always been a bolt-on kind of guy. What happens if that lovely thru-neck gets broken? I'd rather be able to put on a new neck than live with a repaired one.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 12:58 AM

Generally thru neck = painted neck. I know alot of people don't mind (good) painted necks but alot more people have a problem with them because of the reputation gibson gave them.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crevis View Post
Generally thru neck = painted neck. I know alot of people don't mind (good) painted necks but alot more people have a problem with them because of the reputation gibson gave them.
I agree, I would rather have it not painted. You mean to tell me they can't make the back of the neck not painted even though it is a neck-thru, come on!? To me, it doesn't have to look thay pretty, playability is more important.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 01:10 AM

I was talking about playability, only top quality neck thru guitars tend to have non sticky necks and all lesser quality ones are painted and are very sticky.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
I've always been a bolt-on kind of guy. What happens if that lovely thru-neck gets broken? I'd rather be able to put on a new neck than live with a repaired one.
Yes, that is true. However, with that being said, I've owned guitars since I was 13, 14, or 15, I forget when I started and I never broke a neck. Being rough at home, giging, band practice, and keeping them in the back of my car for days (a Les Paul).
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 01:31 AM
Dee

Sure, I think it's not all that likely to happen, but I've seen a few. Actually I prefer the sound of bolt-on guitars anyway. However, I'm all for as many options from Ibanez as possible.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Sure, I think it's not all that likely to happen, but I've seen a few. Actually I prefer the sound of bolt-on guitars anyway. However, I'm all for as many options from Ibanez as possible.
Curious, in what way would you be more favorable to a bolt-on neck for sound? How and why?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 01:42 AM
Dee

I don't really know what it is, I think they just tend to have a little more "bite" and attack. Of course, the wood comes into it too, but yeah...
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 02:39 AM

I think the RGT42DXFMDR (Dark red flame top RGT) is the closest you'll get to that.. Im looking for one but they are hard to get a good price on.. but they are damn sweet and just about all the options you asked for except custom inlay.. But if you want custom inlay and everything, just goto kxk or RAN, ibanez would never do that =[
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcard71 View Post
Curious, in what way would you be more favorable to a bolt-on neck for sound? How and why?
Bolt-ons have a chimey sound than neck throughs.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Dee

I agree with you.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 02:34 PM

Cool RGTHRG1

I have a RGTHRG1 and for the fact that the paint is quite low quality it feels great on the neck. Not sticky at all. It is my first neck through and waht I actually dislike is the strange bowing of the neck.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 03:32 PM

Re: RGTHRG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxon_Valdez View Post
I have a RGTHRG1 and for the fact that the paint is quite low quality it feels great on the neck. Not sticky at all. It is my first neck through and waht I actually dislike is the strange bowing of the neck.
I'm with Dee, not only do you have breaking the neck stuck back in your mind, you have the possibility of it bowing or twisting. I'm a poor boy, lol. I'll stick to my bolt ons
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I'm another one who prefers a bolt on sound. I think they tend to have more "presence" to the sound, so yes a better attack and more chimey clear sounds.

I tend not to need more sustain than I get anyway!!! I mean with decent pickups and a nice tube amp, just how much sustain do you need?!?!?

In truth, I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the figured maple tops you see these days either.

I guess I REALLY don't want the guitars that rickcard is after LOL.

Gimme a chrome plated, bolt on guitar with a double locking whammy anyday

Tags
ebony board , korean guitar , les paul , neck thru , reverse headstock , rosewood fretboard , rosewood fretboards , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode