High Nut, Bad Intonation? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

High Nut, Bad Intonation?

Hey Guys,

Can I high nut affect intonation? I noticed when I play certain chords with one fingering it will sound great but use a different fingering and intonation is out. I know the logical answer is use the fingering that makes it sound great however the fingering that works cuts other notes out and isnt natural. I have noticed my nut is high, I have strobe intonated as well using various methods.....

So....what affects will a high nut yield......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 10:25 AM

Re: High Nut, Bad Intonation?

What is high?
Yes it can cause intonation issues.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
What is high?
Yes it can cause intonation issues.
I dont havw the measurements now but its noticably high (you can feel it on the low e on the first fret...)

What kind of intonation issues are we talking about?
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 10:47 AM

Reviews: 4

Rich says to get the nut height as low as it will go without string buzz AFTER you set the action and neck relief, though he doesn't say it affects intonation.

You might try this to see if it helps
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/nut.htm

Here's a link for his intonation setup instructions
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/intonation.htm
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 11:50 AM

Reviews: 1

it is a good possibility. The nut is one of the most important parts of the guitar. Too high, and chords sound bad and intonation can be affected. Too low, and you get a lot of string buzz and (depending on the fret quality) dead notes.

It's generally an easy fix.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Vendor

The high nut will affect the first few frets, or more if it's rediculously high. The higher it is the more you pull the first few frets sharp when fretted. Nut buzz is a personal thing though, some don't mind some buzz on open strings, some want zero, and the amount of buzz and feel off the nut is going to determine how high you set it.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The high nut will affect the first few frets, or more if it's rediculously high. The higher it is the more you pull the first few frets sharp when fretted. Nut buzz is a personal thing though, some don't mind some buzz on open strings, some want zero, and the amount of buzz and feel off the nut is going to determine how high you set it.
Im getting the weirdest intonation issue that Im trying to work through. If I play a chord (lets say a power chord with the high E and B) the intonation sounds out on the higher strings fingered one way and back in played another way (this way elimantes some notes that I want...) My other guitars dont do this. I have also noticed that playing a bar chord higher up the neck rings true but on the first 5 frets it doesnt. However on the open strings they are intonated correct and sound good.......

I have troubleshot everything I know how, including having the frets leveled by my tech, lowering the pickup, intonating with a strobe and using different methods. The only thing I can think it is, is my nut....it is higher than some of my others....
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 01:33 PM

Could be technique as well. Players often over look that when hunting down phantoms. Improper technique can sneak up on you gradually.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Vendor

Ditto. If it's only happening with one fingering then it's probably being pulled sharp the way you're fingering.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 04:08 PM

Reviews: 2

High nuts (tighty whiteys) may result in higher pitches while lower nuts (boxers) may result in lower registers, right?
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchfan6 View Post
High nuts (tighty whiteys) may result in higher pitches while lower nuts (boxers) may result in lower registers, right?
Lol....I knew someone wouldn't let some of these statements go untouched.....
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2556 View Post
Lol....I knew someone wouldn't let some of these statements go untouched.....
I lol'd
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Found the issue......I feel stupid. I didnt intonate at the 24rth fret. This cleared it all up. Went to Rich tech section and followed the instructions. Now she sounds great! The nut is still too high.....lol...
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 02:13 PM

Do you have any shims under the nut? If so, remove those.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 03:37 PM

Setting intonation at the 24th is not the proper way to get accurate adjustments. Use the 12th.

Tags
high nut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode