High pass filter help - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

High pass filter help

Hello group I am new here because I can't find any info on what Ibanez uses for their high pass filters. I know Ibanez uses these on their JS and Jem series guitars and some of the prestige models.

I want to put this capacitor in my Ibanez RGR320EX and need some info on what cap they use. So far I have replaced the pickups added a push pull coil tap, I want this mod to be my next project.

Thanks

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 08:45 AM

Re: High pass filter help

Here's Ibanez's Jem wiring diagram that shows the little 330pF capacitor they use on the volume pot and how to wire it. The JS uses a push-pull on the volume pot to switch this function on and off, but this is obviously unnecessary as long as you always want to use the filter. Frankly, the volume pot on my JS is basically always pulled up.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man, I have been looking for some of these Ibanez wiring diagrams for a while now. Ibanez I guess doesn't want the public to have them anymore. Now that 330pf cap on the volume pot, what voltage is that rated for? I can't see it being anything more then a 50 or 100 volt.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 01:59 PM

All the wiring diagrams you'll ever need for Ibanez guitars are right here:

http://www.ibanez.com/support/wiringdiagrams.aspx
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northlander30 View Post
Thanks man, I have been looking for some of these Ibanez wiring diagrams for a while now. Ibanez I guess doesn't want the public to have them anymore. Now that 330pf cap on the volume pot, what voltage is that rated for? I can't see it being anything more then a 50 or 100 volt.
Well, I don't know that for sure, but if I'm not mistaken, since guitar electronics operate more in the milivolt range, I doubt the voltage rating of the capacitor is going to make any real difference.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link, you see I didn't think it would matter what voltage the cap was. There isn't a whole lot coursing through the guitar when it's plugged in lol. So I guess any voltage of cap will work as long as it is a 0.001uf,0.022uf, 330pf, 331pf, or a 560pf.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 02:29 PM

the 330pf capacitor is allways on board with the high-end Ibz
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 11:02 AM

hi...i am intereted in adding this to my rg570 but i see the 330 capacitor on my volume pot..

does my rg have a high pass filter?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 04:20 AM

???
It looks like a low pass filter to me.
Just about every guitar ever uses a low pass filter as a 'tone' control.
I've never heard of a guitar having a high pass filter but it could be easily done.
I'd be more interested in making a notch filter to take about 6-12db out at 1khz to really separate the low frequencies from the highs.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 01:30 AM

so, for the cap, do ya use an electrolytic cap or what? i wanna install this on my strat i think.

EDIT: yeah, umm...search is my friend? ha ha. just to make sure here-use a 330pf ceramic cap across two of the lugs on the volume pot-one lug, the one that the switch is hooked up to, the other lug is the center lug. (last lug is grounded and i dont touch that). sound right? also, if i cant locate a ceramic, would a mylar cap work ok? electrolytic is no good for this i guess...
well, actually any of them should work right? just have to watch the polarity on the electo? thanks for any help..... (scratching head..thinking too hard)

Last edited by EvoGiant; 01-18-2009 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Because I didnt search enough....

Tags
ibanez rgr320ex

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode