Hm Strats - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Hm Strats

Hey guys, I was wondering if you have ever played them or seen any custom guitar luthiers that make them. I just recently learned about the wonders of Greg Howe's fusion playing and when I saw this guitar I knew I had to have it hah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 10:05 AM

Re: Hm Strats

Uhm, the Fender custom shop? I'm sure they'll be able to make that.

Alwin
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

yeah but they'd probably charge me like 3000 bucks compared to much cheaper if say Chris Woods made the guitar.

Literally I've been working and saving and selling to get another guitar and I've been playing around with a few ideas such as a custom Jem, custom Jackson soloist, Edwards, Caparison, and I was leaning towards a G&L Invader from Matt's Music but the Hm strat is like the answer to my prayers, it is like an Invader but 24 frets!! hah

btw does anyone know the scale of the neck? I thought you couldnt have a 24 fret strat without that weird hangover the fretboard does like on warmoth's and I didn't think you could order a custom from Fender custom shop, I thought that was just a name cause I've never seen an order form where you choose options
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 11:11 AM

"All HM strat US made models had a scale length of 25.15 inches (639mm) and a radius of 17 inches (431.8mm)."

^^
From Wikipedia's page on the HM Strat.

You'd probably be able to get a guitar like this made for, like, $2000 at the average custom shop, I think. The custom shop of Fender may be more expensive.

You know, you could also get one of these:

It's a current production model Strat. You could click on the pic for more info.

Alwin
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

the new one doesnt impress me, it is 21 frets and non recessed floyd and I'm pretty sure I could get it for less than 2k at an average custom shop, I mean from warmoth I figured out the price of this amazing soloist would be around $1400 and it had like quilted top and burst finish and ebony fretboard
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 11:21 AM

$1400? Wow, that's great!

Alwin
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

I'm surprised no1 else has any input, I guess I'll check out what some luthiers are doin and see if this is a possibility, also the strat in the pic with greg howe has a pickgaurd and it looks as if it is a thinner neck so I'm guessing this is a pure custom
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 02:17 PM

HM Strats are great. One of my old friends had one (don't know if he still does), and it was awesome. White finish, ebony board, Kahler Spyder, 24 frets, etc...

Edit: It was just like e-Bay item 170194214381
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 12:14 PM

John Suhr is now building 24 fret models. Check out some details here. Great quality but will likely cost you in excess of $2K.

You might also want to check out USA Custom Guitars - they're much like Warmoth and have a cool virtual guitar builder.

I'd also check into ESP as they have a custom shop and build nice stuff also.

Good luck!
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

thanks man, I actually love Esp's vintage headstock, even though it isn't original fender looking it still looks sweet and the Suhr is one bad mofo

edit: man the Esp custom shop's like cheapest you can order a guitar for is like 4k, at least from the online quote, a real quote will probably be less, I'd hope

Last edited by newbieguitarmaker; 02-18-2008 at 02:06 PM.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 02:17 PM

I have a Fender 1988 HM strat. One of the best playing guitars you can get

This is how they look:

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 02:17 PM

You can sometimes find the original HM Strats on the 'bay. When the originally came out, I was about 9 years old and thought that Kramer was the center of the guitar universe so I never played them in the stores.

Last year, I was tooling around in the Hollywood GC, and they had one up on the wall. It was pink, with a maple board, HSS config (with no pickguard) and a Kahler Steeler locking trem. I friggin' loved this guitar. The only two other Fenders I ever liked enough to buy were the SRV model (which I still have with a swapped out pickguard) and the Clapton model (which I never actually bought because I didn't like the pickups, but loved the neck), but this HM strat was awesome. It had a rail humbucker in the neck (which I'm seemed aftermarket) and some wear on the fingerboard, but it played like a dream. The price was a little high ($900) for a 17 year old guitar with major paint and fingerboard problems, but it was a really nice guitar. I would've picked it up for $500 and refinished it myself.

If you really dig those guitars, though - you can find them on the 'bay or even build one yourself from Warmoth parts. Just go with the contoured heel, wider nut width, recessed Floyd, and rear route.

Cheers,
Danny
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 02:19 PM

Also, you can buy a used Fender HM for about 500/ 600 dollars at evilbay.

I scalloped the guitar myself in 1997 with the luthier tools from my grandfather. I still love this guitar. I highly recommend a Fender HM if you play fusion/ rock.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

so how does it have 24 frets and no hangover like what warmoth does? does it have the middle pickup lowered and a neck joint that goes lower?
edit: also I know most of them had Kahler Spyder trems, would that swap with an Ofr because I'd like a trem that is still being made so I can service it easier

Last edited by newbieguitarmaker; 02-18-2008 at 02:32 PM.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post

1. so how does it have 24 frets and no hangover like what warmoth does?
2. does it have the middle pickup lowered and a neck joint that goes lower?
3. also I know most of them had Kahler Spyder trems, would that swap with an Ofr because I'd like a trem that is still being made so I can service it easier
1. Sorry, i have no clue.
2. You can lower the middle pick-up that with a screwdriver. The neck joint is a mix between the old Ibanez neck joints and the new ones. I never had any problems with it what so ever.
3. No swap with an OFR. The OFR is wider.

Tags
chris woods , christopher woods , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom jackson , custom jem , custom shop , ebony board , ebony fretboard , fender custom shop , fender strat , fret board , fret neck , ibanez neck , jackson dinky , jackson soloist , john petrucci , john suhr , neck joint , neck joints , neck pickup , neck shim , playing guitar , production model , wizard neck profile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode